Thread: RIP the Chief Scouts Challenge.

Thanks

RIP the Chief Scouts Challenge.

As part of the reforms of the association, the Chief Scouts Challenge was disposed of. I personally was greatly concerned about this. I did the challenge at the age of 14, and found along with my contemparies that it greatly changed our attitudes towards Scouting, and made us more responsible, and encouraged us to organise ourselves rather than purely rely upon the leaders to do so, and helped greatly in our maturation and independance. In the Isle of Man, it was greatly popular and successful with the Scouts, and would have been retained, had it not been for the opposition of certain leaders (who I obviously will not name, although they know who they are). I have heard however that it was not as successful in other areas. What was your experience of the CSC in your area? Do you feel it should /n't have been disposed of, and why? Do you feel that it should be revived? Did it have a positive affect upon your Scouting career? What about the leaders who took it, how did they feel, and what were their experiences?
    Wake me up when its over.
    "Courage is the Quality Which Guarantees All Others"

Thanks
    Sorry, did you do the chief scouts challenge in scouts or (the old ventures), just trying to work put what equivalent there is.

Thanks
    Don't worry, looking on scoutbase I can see that you did it in scouts, there is a sort of equivalent...the chief scout award just gave me an idea.

Thanks
    The Chief Scout's Challenge was O.K. In about 7 years of Scouts, we had one team do it, and they didn't really get much out. By the time you're in Explorers, people are less bothered about badgework, and anyway there's the DofE now which you have to plan an expedition.
    Visit 20th Harrogate & Peyton ESU Online at www.harrogate20th.escouts.org.uk. Post Links to your own site, read all our latest news , visit Interactive & Games and Visit Resources for Activities for your group.

Thanks
    At my old group we had at least one team per year undertake an expedition, most years

I'll get back to moving accounts... :-(
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    As regards the D of E, the CSC and Dof E could actually be ran along side each other, so it wasn't too much work. I myself did not do the DofE, but some of my other team members did, and they were actually able to use the expedition for both, plus a few other requirements.

The CSC was slightly different from the Chief Scouts Award though. I actually gained both when I was a scout. However I did not feel that it was as much a catalyst for my change in attitude to scouting as the CSC. I don't actually think I would have gained the CSA if I had not done the CSC.
    Wake me up when its over.
    "Courage is the Quality Which Guarantees All Others"

Escouts Award Team Member marcus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Same here, our group used to complete their CSC by doing their DofE bronze training, then adding an extra day to the expedition (usually the day after the two day hike they used to do with the school mfor DofE) to gain the CSC.

I think it has been replaced by the new Expedition chalenge, but I too, as a holder feel that we should have kept the challenge as a seperate award

We had usually a group every year or two ding the CSC
    Chaos, Panic, Disorder... My Work Here Is Done

Marcus Coupe

SSAGO|Western Lakes District

(Please note that these responses are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of any of the institutions to which I am linked)