Thread: Some positive news!

Thanks

Some positive news!

I just wanted to say a massive WELL DONE to our District Team who recruited 10 new Leaders last night which will allow them to get a dormant group up and running again. This will give them a Beaver Colony and a Cub Pack to relieve the pressure on our waiting lists. Our group have 27 children aged between 6-8 waiting to get into our Beavers, of which several can now start at the new Group.

Thanks
    Great news, well done and many thanks to the team.
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

ACSL
    Thanks
    Are you going to share the secret to their successful recruitment?
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post
    I just wanted to say a massive WELL DONE to our District Team who recruited 10 new Leaders last night which will allow them to get a dormant group up and running again. This will give them a Beaver Colony and a Cub Pack to relieve the pressure on our waiting lists. Our group have 27 children aged between 6-8 waiting to get into our Beavers, of which several can now start at the new Group.

Brilliant

How did they do it
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Well done, it's a great feeling when you have success.
    I have recruited 18 leaders since June and we have started new Beaver, Cub and Scout sections to wipe out our waiting list. Around 60 more young people now enjoying Scouting.
    Don't forget to apply for the start up grants for each section.

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    great news well done
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    OK, here's how it was done.

About 18 months ago, the District Team added an application form to the website. Since then, all applications have gone via District and then each applicant is passed to the person holding the waiting list at the relevant group.

As a young person is placed, the District are advised and they can take them off their list, so they have a list of all children waiting to join.

It became apparent that not all children on waiting lists were going to get places, so some work was done on the local building that belonged to a dormant group to make it usable. A letter went out to every parent who had a child on the waiting list inviting them to a meeting to "discuss how their child can be accomodated in Scouting"!

60 parents turned up and of those, 10 volunteered to become Leaders (which I think is a fantastic number). A new Exec is the next step, but District are stepping in to run it to get it off the ground.

Thanks
    That is great news, wish we had a waiting list, we are finding getting the YP in the door the hardest step
    --
    Regards, Gary J. Hayers
    ASL - Orsett & Bulphan Scout Group Petre Troop
    Oats Active Support
    Thurrock, Essex

PGP key http://www.hayers.org/pgp

Thanks
    Thats great news, were just starting to do the same so we can wipe out our waiting lists!

Thanks
    Fantastic! Great to hear some positive recruitment- seems so often we see letters of "volunteer or we'll have to close" which very rarely work and quite often give an impression of joining a failing group. Although this is similar "we need volunteers to run scouting" it's gives a completely different impression "volunteer because we have so many people wanting to join we need more volunteers!" obviously works- everybody wants to join a team that's winning!

Well done!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,683 Times in 1,985 Posts
    It became apparent that not all children on waiting lists were going to get places, so some work was done on the local building that belonged to a dormant group to make it usable. A letter went out to every parent who had a child on the waiting list inviting them to a meeting to "discuss how their child can be accomodated in Scouting"!
    Hmmmm, there must be some underlying issue in our locale. We really, really struggle to get adults to step up for Leader roles, and I'm not just talking about my Group. I spent time handing out leaflets and invites to parents at a village school and only three turned up for the meeting, even though every parent I spoke to thought it was excellent that we were trying to re-open Beavers and Cubs. Three parents turned up. They initially volunteered but quickly withdrew. The children of all three are now involved at my Group... but none of their parents are.

I had a call from a parent of a child on the waiting list. I explained that we had closed our doors as we had insuifficient adult support and we needed to reduce numbers in case we had to close the second colony. I asked if she might help since she was so keen for her son to join us. Her response was, "Should I put his name down at another Group then."

Sadly, I suspect that it is about to get a whole lot worse very shortly. Ever sensed a car crash in slow motion...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Testarossa, I agree 10 is an amazing number to recruit. We have gone around it in similar ways ny tackling parents on waiting lists. If kids want a place, parents need to be proactive.
    Well done, and good luck with the opening sessions.

Cub Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post
    OK, here's how it was done.
    A letter went out to every parent who had a child on the waiting list inviting them to a meeting to "discuss how their child can be accomodated in Scouting"!

60 parents turned up and of those, 10 volunteered to become Leaders (which I think is a fantastic number). A new Exec is the next step, but District are stepping in to run it to get it off the ground.
    That does sound extraordinary. How many invitations went out in order to get as many as 60 turn up to a meeting? Similar attempts in our area just havent worked at all - just a handful have come. Most parents desperately hope that someone else will volunteer so that they don't have to. I feel like we're missing a trick. Was it really just a letter to each parent of a child on the waiting list? That letter must have been something special!

I'm also amazed that as many as 10 out of 60 would volunteer to be Leaders. How was that sold to them? It would scare most parents (including me) to death!

Many Congratulations Testarossa :-)
    Last edited by washathi; 09-02-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Washathi, CSL 14th Southampton
    http://www.highfieldscouts.org.uk