Thread: New look Hampshire Scouts Website

Thanks

New look Hampshire Scouts Website

Evening everyone,

We have had the new look county website running for a while now, but I thought it was time to drop
    In here for a bit of promotion and to seek the opinions of the gathered members.

The site is http://www.hampshirescouting.org.uk and as anyone who can remember the old Hampshire site can straight away see, this new site is lot lighter and fresher looking.

I would welcome you all to take a look around, and give me and the County Web Team any feedback that you might have. Happy to take comments on the thread here or you can drop me a PM.

For those of a technical mind, simple PHP template front end and a News-13 application back-end. The county map is using the Ordnance Survey Openspace toolkit, plus the Google Maps API for the International Map.

Cheers,
    David
    Hampshire County Web Team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Webmaster,
    Eastleigh District | scouts | be prepared . . .
    http://www.eastleigh-scouts.org.uk

Thanks
    I like it, I couldn't see a County Team/Contacts page which could be useful so County Team members could be contacted. I only say as you have vacancies yet no actual page that shows County Team on.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    OK, so some feedback. You're not going to like it but hopefully it is helpful.
    • It's hard to find stuff on the new site. If I want to find HSN where do I go? If I want to find county exec minutes where do I go?
    • The calendar keeps telling me I don't have permission.
    • There's too much info on the front page. There doesn't need to be that much detail on each download.
    • The calendar doesn't link to details of events.
    • It doesn't tell me who to contact or how to do contact them.
    • The district map doesn't work.
    Sorry, but I think the old site was better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    OK, so some feedback. You're not going to like it but hopefully it is helpful.
    • It's hard to find stuff on the new site. If I want to find HSN where do I go? If I want to find county exec minutes where do I go?
    • The calendar keeps telling me I don't have permission.
    • There's too much info on the front page. There doesn't need to be that much detail on each download.
    • The calendar doesn't link to details of events.
    • It doesn't tell me who to contact or how to do contact them.
    • The district map doesn't work.
    Sorry, but I think the old site was better.
    Thanks for the feedback. Let's take the last one first, what doesn't work with the District Map? That is the most worrying as it is using Ordnance Survey code and as they pay my wage, I'd like to k ow what your problems are in case it is a wider problem.

County Exec minutes are not published on this site at the moment. When we looked at the figures from the previous site, they did not even make double figures!! In fact, now you have posted on here, we can work out who the one person was who accessed them! ;-). We decided
    To focus on information that was important and used by many. The decision was taken that anyone requiring the minutes would get in touch with County Office asking where they are, and then get emailed them in return. Having said that, future plans do included looking at this secure area and seeing if there is actually any need for it.

HSN is published as an article along with everything else. I am pretty sure that the latest issue was also emailed out to everyone.

Webmaster,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcush View Post
    I like it, I couldn't see a County Team/Contacts page which could be useful so County Team members could be contacted. I only say as you have vacancies yet no actual page that shows County Team on.
    Thanks for that. That is a good idea and something we will look to add to the list.

I should add that part of the reason for the rebuild was that our small team were each spending over an hour a night maintaining the old site (filling in the cracks, repairing the code, fixing the submissions from authors). The new one is simpler, focused on what people were using, and means that for now, the web team get their evenings back to look at making this one better!!

Webmaster,

Thanks
    Map gives me "A problem has occurred: HTTP Referrer not valid" in a pop up and nothing loads.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,569 Posts
    re the map...

A problem has occurred: HTTP Referrer not valid

a known fault... check your API key is for the url and not referring...

Thanks
    Thanks all - hopefully an easy fix on my behalf. I'll look into it.

This is what I like about this site, a ready made, instant test team. Should have come here sooner.
    Webmaster,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eastleigh View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Let's take the last one first, what doesn't work with the District Map? That is the most worrying as it is using Ordnance Survey code and as they pay my wage, I'd like to k ow what your problems are in case it is a wider problem.
    It's the same issue everyone else reports - HTTP referrer not valid. Strangely it appears to "work" on my phone (in quotes because the map loads but isn't really useful on a small screen).

County Exec minutes are not published on this site at the moment. When we looked at the figures from the previous site, they did not even make double figures!! In fact, now you have posted on here, we can work out who the one person was who accessed them! ;-). We decided
    To focus on information that was important and used by many. The decision was taken that anyone requiring the minutes would get in touch with County Office asking where they are, and then get emailed them in return. Having said that, future plans do included looking at this secure area and seeing if there is actually any need for it.
    That's a shame. It was good to be able to see what our money is being spent on.

HSN is published as an article along with everything else. I am pretty sure that the latest issue was also emailed out to everyone.
    I haven't seen an e-mail with the latest copy. The other thing is where are old versions? If I know there was info about something in the last edition how do I find it?

The overall problem I think is that pretty much everything is just posted as a news item. If I want to find details of the PL training weekend in November for example I would naturally expect to be able to scroll through the calendar to find the event and get details. Instead I have to look through the news pages individually to find it.

Thanks
    Hi David

My first response when I saw the website a while ago is that it looks bright and welcoming. So thanks for brightening it up.

However I soon got disillusioned with it, like Chris I couldn't find HSN (which is what I went on it for) and the front page just looks like a directory of files, maybe because the file names are in a bigger font than the news they relate to. It's slightly off putting to be immediately faced with a load of text comprising mostly of files on the home page.

I don't want it to sound like I hate the new website, but it did seem easier to navigate round the old one.

Oh and just found you can't link from the website to the Hampshire Scouts Caving Club website, is that a problem at your end or theirs?

Neil
    ASL - 1st Winchester (Greeks) Scouts
    EXL - North Winchester Explorers

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

Having said that, I love having all the useful download files listed on one page

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments about the lists of files, it is one area that we (well, myself in particular) dont like, and is being looked at. That is partly due to us trying to learn all the tricks of the back-end software driving the site.

I'll try to cover off the HSCC link problem at lunchtime for you.

Because we suffered a major failure with the old site, it had to be removed pretty sharply (lots of unpleasantness with it filling up our servers with goodness knows what) this meant that some of the links while we worked on transferring information to the new site, suddenly failed very spectacularly.

back issues of HSN are available from http://issuu.com/hsnews where the county office have been publishing them in addition to making the PDF file available through the website.

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    That's a shame. It was good to be able to see what our money is being spent on.
    As mentioned previously, County Office are more than happy to email out Minutes to anyone who requests them. At the recent DCs meeting, I believe Tim said he would be sending out the last couple as a catch up exercise.

Because of the information that these minutes contain, we can not make them widely available on the 'public' website, and it will be something that the team will consider later in the year. Because of the very low demand for these on the old site, I have to admit it isn't very high on our list of features to bring back online.
    Webmaster,

Thanks
    Thanks to fmolesy, Big Chris and ChrisL. The County Map problem was my fault for not adding the other URLs into the API key.

All sorted, and should now be OK for you.

when you are looking at the map... the default "unknown" scarf colour on the map pins is green, the locations were from our old map which was coded without the OS backend (so grid references and locations may be slightly off), the district boundaries are a work in progress and we will be adding others when we can get them plotted.

If you do find errors in locations, then if you can PM me the following info, I can correct it for you.

• District
    • Eastings (6 digits)
    • Northings (6 digits)
    • Group Name: e.g. 7th (2nd Fair Oak) Eastleigh
    • URL of your website
    • Description of your scarf colour. We are using the Scoutbase Necker Generator, so if you can base your descriptions on the colours and templates on there it would help us tremendously

Cheers,
    David
    Webmaster,

Thanks
    Thought I'd take this opportunity to mention the group I've recently started on here for Scouters in Hampshire strangely enough called "Hampshire Scouters"
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Acting Beaver Scout Leader
    Assistant Scout Leader
    28th Portsmouth Scout Group
    City of Portsmouth Scout Active Support Unit Member
    Portsmouth Scout Archery Club Member

http://28thportsmouthscoutgroup.co.uk

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/ca...outhscoutgroup