View Poll Results: What do you think about the resources available to support Special Needs in Scouting?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • There are enough, good resources available now.

17 19.10%
  • The resources available are good, but there are not enough.

52 58.43%
  • There are not enough resources and they are of a poor standard.

20 22.47%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Special Needs Scouting

Thanks
    Our Troop has several Scouts currently with a variety of impairments at different levels. We do not consider any of them to be disabled. We try very hard to make all activities accessible to all Scouts and Leaders, and we work round any challenges that we face, impairments include, severe visual, severe hearing, Aspergers, ADHD, moderate visual, diabetes, epilepsy,Dislexia, to name but a few.
    Leader impairments include arthritis, visual (where are my glasses this time?), and the inevitable growing old disgracefully. The only barriers are attitudes.
    So far as Bethan's group is concerned, the YP concerned can communicate, you just have to learn how to communicate with them and then ask them what they want to do! You wouldn't turn away some-one who couldn't speak your language would you? Wheelchairs can go to extraordinary places these days!

Thanks
    I am registere disabled, right now I am having problems with my heart and tend to leave everything to other leaders, and manage any paperwork, but for the rest of the time (I do have an ongoing condition) I just do as much as I can
    Matthew

Thanks

More Feedback!!

Thanks for all your further comments.

I would still like more feedback (particuarly in light of Penny's request for information regarding Downs Syndrome - which shows that maybe there needs to be more information out there).

Have you used the Scouts.org.uk Special Needs pages?
    Have you used the factsheets?
    Have you needed a factsheet which wasn't there?
    What would you like to see on the SN Pages.

All your criticisms, comments, etc are gratefuly appreciated - and taken on board.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Kind regards.

Michael
    Special Needs Support Team
    http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/ps/sneeds/

Thanks
    I would like to see fact sheet on Aspergers syndrome

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip
    I would, and i wouldn't mind one on marfan's syndrome,

What are the chances of that?
    Matthew

Thanks
    Thanks "Ninthskip" and Matthew.

A factsheet on Aspergers Syndrome would no doubt be useful. It is covered a little in the more general ones. I shall pass it on...

Marfan Syndrome is a little different. I currently have a kid with Marfan in my group, and the problem with it is defining exactly what it is. Because Marfan is principally to do with connective tissue (indeed it is referred to as Connective Tissue Disorder) it can go in extremes - from unnoticeable to wheelchair user etc.

Incidentally, there is a very good website at

http://www.marfan.org/nmf/GetContent...menu_item_id=2

which explains Marfan.

I suppose there are probably a lot of disabilities out there which we don't currently have factsheets for. Any other suggestions for new factsheets? Any suggestions for other Special Needs resources?

Thanks for your posts...

Kind regards.

Michael.

Thanks
    I currently have a kid with Marfan in my group,
    I myself have it!

Whenever anyone asks, I always point them to http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/ne...00/4138030.stm
    LOL, it was a long time ago

From what you said about it though,
    THere are strict limits on what I can and can't do, and I am tired of having to explain it, I had severe chest pains (causedd by it) back in april and had to leave a string of camps, and miss others all together.

I still can't play contact sports, or do much physical activity at all, but to people who don't need to know, I am just a regular, tall, person. But withing Scouting, it has always posed a few problems
    Last edited by matt2501; 10-10-2006 at 05:17 PM.
    Matthew

Thanks
    Sorry Matt - I didn't pick up on that... I thought you had someone in your group with it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ninthskip
    I'm with you on that.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shankers
    A factsheet on Aspergers Syndrome would no doubt be useful. It is covered a little in the more general ones.
    The trouble with the other general fact sheets is that they can't cover all the extremes of Aspergers. I have several YP with this Syndrome all of whom are different!

Thanks
    There is a fact sheet on Asperger Syndrome, but it is in with the Autism information based on the fact that it is on the Autistic Spectrum. (FS 250025)

The problem is that Autism is such a vast subject, and every child with the condition is very different. The factsheets are lacking in valuable information, but if it was made too detailed, perhaps people wouldn't read it. There are lots of other places on the web with valuable information on how to deal with YP on the spectrum.

My son has ASD which is what drew me into Scouting in the first place as he usually ends up excluded from anything he joins - that and the general lack of Beaver Scout Leaders.

A fact sheet on how to deal with sensory issues surrounding YP with Asperger SYndrome and Autistic Spectrum Disorders would be useful. All too often, I see these YP shut down - they sit on the floor and refuse to move even when they put themselves in danger. Other leaders will tend to shout at them, and this just makes them "switch off".

We also have a child with Attachment Disorder, a child with Dyspraxia and a nut allergy as well as a child with developmental delay due to being very prem. It certainly keeps us on our toes.

Thanks
    Is it just me or have you started to get more kids with special needs than before?

Currently we have three kids in wheelchairs and about half a dozen with various autism related disorders. I find the information on ScoutBase useful, but never enough. I'm not sure it could ever be enough though.

Perhaps factsheets which have scouting examples. Like "I am taking my Cubs on a night hike... " and in that factsheet would be tips and tricks on how to make it better for a range of disabilities (e.g. those with ADHT - keep their attention, or those in wheelchairs - plan the route carefully etc etc).

I think it would also help if HQ could keep a database of local Special Needs advisers, as I don't have a clue who my local adviser is, and I could have done with her help!

Thanks
    I know who our advisor is, but I've never spoken to her. There is a lot of info on the net that I have used, and talking to the parents gives you the best insight into each child. Since the parents know them better than anyone, I ask them what strategies work, and what doesn't. I use signals with a couple of the kids, such as pulling on my ear if they are not listening so I don't have to stop what I am doing, but they know I am not happy that they are not listening. I also use thumbs up to show them I am pleased with them without having to say it out loud in front of the rest of the group. Works for a couple of the kids, but not with others.

As for getting more SN children, all mine are in one year group, so they will go up to cubs within months of each other - God help Akela!

It has been noted in the local school that this years year 3 is a particularly bad year for children with behavioural difficulties. Must have been something in the water 7 yrs ago.

I do think that more children are getting a diagnosis of ASD & ADHD these days rather than being branded naughty or lazy which makes it look as though there is an increase. Once they have a diagnosis, parents are more willing to let them try things like Scouting, whereas before they wouldn't have sent them. My son has both diagnoses, but after changing his diet and putting him on a cooked breakfast instead of the usually rapidly absorbed carbohydrate cereals, there has been a significant improvement in his attention span. Makes you wonder whether a lot of the problems could be sorted through food.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob
    Is it just me or have you started to get more kids with special needs than before?
    I think that this is down to an improved attitude towards children with SPecial Needs. It is becoming recognised that ALL children benefit from additional activities/opportunities and that their special need should not prevent them from taking part. I think back to when I was a child (not so long ago - only 46 now) and you just did not see people with Special needs in the community as you do now. there were special schools and homes where people were shut away. A lot of work has been done by a lot of people to get to this place and as Scouters we can continue this by offering opportunities as best we can for the individual.

Thanks
    I have many learning difficuties and have briallinat leaders who all are tought by our GSL what to do if my self who has aspergous syndome or the other autisic Scout who is severely autisic have sensory overloads. But, I am going to the Jamboree this year and am very worried that there wont appreciate how difficult some situations such as the changes, differnt people and the such as well as the airport to poland for international expirence. I have tried explaining as has my parent but there dont understand there are trying. Has anyone found anyother resource that I can show my Contingent leader to help them understand?
    1st Cleobury Mortimer Scouts (ASL)
    1st Park Gate Cub's (ACL)