Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DofE Silver Expedition in Wye Valley

DESC
    Thanks

DofE Silver Expedition in Wye Valley

Looking at running Bronze & Silver Expedition in the Wye Valley area. Anyone know of any good routes with sutable campsites?

Brian

Thanks
    On foot or by water? Glasbury on Wye Scout Hut can be hired and it's right by the river.

Stephen
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

DESC
    Thanks
    Looking at doing by foot. I have 5 Silver teams and 2 Bronze so looking for some where that has
    a number of routes, with campsites within reach of thier hikes.

Thanks
    The YHA hostels along the river are good places for DOE groups to camp.
    we used Welsh Bicknor
    There is also a farm above simons Yat called Holly barn that takes scouts.
    There is also Bibline youth camp site run by the Forestry Commimission,
    There are lots of places to stay so i think you will be able to find enough sites without too many problems.

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianpinto View Post
    Looking at doing by foot. I have 5 Silver teams and 2 Bronze so looking for some where that has
    a number of routes, with campsites within reach of their hikes.
    there are a number of places to camp. last time i was walking down that way (ODP) i camped in someone's back garden in brockweir! another time i camped 'wild' on the kymin. but i was on my tod and you'll need to look elsewhere, but there are quite a few places. which bit of the wye valley? it does technically run for nearly 130-odd miles from chepstow to plynlimon! the 14mile lower wye valley i suspect. there are a lot of waymarked trails in this area - ODP of course, wye, gloucester, wysis, &c - and if you stick to the valley you're quite 'limited' in choice expedition-wise than you think. definitely say that the lower wye is good for bronze and you can plan two good routes there which you can manage quite easily. not so sure the same for silver. maybe a tadge too restrictive. (and 7 teams in the lower wye will be tripping up over each other!) for silver i suspect you'll maybe have to look at middle wye and maybe even FoD to give you suitable routes. i do think you're spolit for choice. loads of routes in this part of the country with enough facilities close by. sit down, open a map, a take your choice. there is, iirc, a publication for the 'wye valley walk' which runs the length of the wye, which you could use for ideas/info.

cordially yours, TM

ESL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ph_zone View Post
    There is also a farm above simons Yat called Holly barn that takes scouts.
    I've used Holly Barn several times over the last 20 years for Scout camps and DofE expeditions. The couple who run it are very Scout friendly - they originally met when they were both in a local Venture Unit and eventually took over the farm from the guy who was their VSU leader and built it up into the multi-activity centre it is now. There's also a high ropes course for you to play on while your DofE teams are out hiking

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    The groups should be coming up with their own routes!

The Wye is a very long river - it would take a minimum of 2.5 hours to drive fron one end to the other(!!) - which section are you looking at using?

With that many groups and needing different routes, I'd suggest you used the "Lower Wye Valley" and also go over into the Forest of Dean. Don't forget, for Silver you'll be needing two sites.

Permanent campsites include:
    Biblins Youth Campsite, downstream of Symonds Yat (Forestry Commission)
    Holly Barn, above Symonds Yat - literally (private)
    Botany Bay, Tintern (Gwent Area Scouts)
    Braceland, Christchurch/Staunton (Commercial) - watch out for the wild boar!
    YHA site at Welsh Bicknor

Slightly further up stream:
    Ross Rowing Club
    PGL (I think) site at Hole-in-the-Wall
    Hoarwithy (Commercial)

Be aware that there are not very many bridges on the Wye, and what may seem close on a map may require to drive at least 10 miles of twisty country lanes to get from one place to another. In particular, Biblins and Holly Barn, despite being about 1-2km away from each other are a half hour drive.

If you do choose to come down here, for info we have at least 7 accredited assessors in the Area, most of whom need to do some assessments to keep their accreditation up to date! We also have a queue of people who have done the training and are needing to do supported assessments.
    Last edited by PeterSheppard; 14-02-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks

Expedition notification

Dont forget, you may need to notify the Forest of Dean expedition Panel (if you come into the area)via the green/white form. They will also have a list of assesors willing to help.

Trev
    DESC
    Freeminer ESU

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by freeminer View Post
    Dont forget, you may need to notify the Forest of Dean expedition Panel (if you come into the area)via the green/white form. They will also have a list of assesors willing to help.
    It's not a Wild Country area, so no notification is required unless you wish to use a panel assessor (which will incur a fee per group).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    PGL (I think) site at Hole-in-the-Wall
    I worked there last year and I know they'd be more than happy to accommodate you. The centre itself is called Court Farm.

We ran an expedition from Monmouth to Chepstow over two days stopping at Botany Bay and that went quite well. I've seen Biblins and Bracelands and they both look pretty good.
    Tom
    ASL 1st Dinas Powys

"If it ain't raining, it ain't Wales" - Bear Grylls

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Our last lot of silvers did a canoe trip down the wye, stayed at the White Lion Pub campsite the first night. Not sure where they stayed the 2nd night, downstream from symonds yat rapids.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Not sure where they stayed the 2nd night, downstream from symonds yat rapids.
    That'll be Biblins I expect. About a km or so downstream of the rapids, and the only bit of flat ground for miles!

DESC
    Thanks
    Thanks Trev..
    Grren form is not needed for land based expedition as it isnt classified as Wild Country - but do for Water based.

Thanks
    Biblins is a really good site we have used it for both Scouts and Explorers. My son stayed there last year on a college expedition.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Thanks
    Whilst The Forest of Dean is not Wild Country, it is an exception to the rule along with The New Forest. The local panel should be notified of all expeditions and practice hikes in the area.It is mentioned on the DofE web site. As there is no "notification form" the green form is the only option. I believe it has something to do with Forestry land.
    I have just spoken with the Panel expedition coordinator and this is the case. You dont need to use their Assessors, but whoever does the assessment needs a " ref number" obtained through the coordinator.This should be used by the assessor when completeing the assessment on edofe. Be warned no ref number may invalidate the assessment, or at least make it difficult doing it retrospectivly
    TIN HAT ON