Thread: Chief Scout Platinum and Diamond Awards

Thanks

Chief Scout Platinum and Diamond Awards

I am going to be giving a talk to the Explorer Unit I help out with tomorrow about the Chief Scout Platinum and Diamond Awards as quite a few of them have asked about it, and what's involved in it.

So I was wondering how many other units end up with Explorers gaining these badges. Also, with the requirements do those Explorers that gain it do the DofE and achieve that or do they just complete the four challenges (which I know are exactly the same as the DofE).

So basically I was wondering, even though the four challenges are the same as the DofE do other units have the Explorers register for the DofE and complete that in order to gain the awards or do they do the four challenges?

Thanks
    When I completed my platinum award it was mainly down to bronze dofe.

However if you approach it from the four challenge side then it allows those not interested in dofe to gain the award as well.

Thanks
    I know of one district with two Explorer units. One does their awards all through D of E, and get the platinum, diamond and Queens by doing the add ons to D of E. The other has nothing to do with D of E (although some members do it through school). Both get lots of awards, both work very well. I wouldn't say one is better than the other, the D of E way of doing things requires D of E paperwork etc, which is more onerous than Scout paperwork. But, doing it hand in hand with D of E gets the Explorers their D of E awards as well - which are often better recognised outside of Scouting.

Thanks
    The D of E does seem to focus the Explorers on getting their Platinum & Diamond Awards and most of the Units in the District seem at last to have got their heads round D of E. There is one Unit who seem to have no interest in D of E and their Explorers do very well at Diamond & Platinum. It really is down to the Explorers getting themselves motivated to do the awards be they Chief Scout or D of E.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt

Thanks
    I tend to find Explorers want to do their D of E - many I've come across aren't that bothered by the Platinum or Diamond awards - they effectively want something to put on their CV that they know the employer will recognise.

We then encourage the Explorer to do the extra bits for the Scout Awards.

Barney

ESL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney255 View Post
    I tend to find Explorers want to do their D of E - many I've come across aren't that bothered by the Platinum or Diamond awards - they effectively want something to put on their CV that they know the employer will recognise.

We then encourage the Explorer to do the extra bits for the Scout Awards.

Barney
    It works that way for us as well. Sadly, although the Gold and Platinum Awards involve more effort in total than the corresponding DofE Award, it's DofE that has the recognition amongst personnel recruiters, University admissions registrars, etc for what the candidate has had to do to achieve it. Over the last 10 years I've mentioned this to several people who are involved in recruitment of young people and they all knew straight away what DofE was all about and what it meant to them as recruiters, whereas only the ones who were ex-Scouts had any idea what Gold and Platinum Awards might be and they weren't sure about its equivalence to DofE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Davies View Post
    It works that way for us as well. Sadly, although the Gold and Platinum Awards involve more effort in total than the corresponding DofE Award, it's DofE that has the recognition amongst personnel recruiters, University admissions registrars, etc for what the candidate has had to do to achieve it. Over the last 10 years I've mentioned this to several people who are involved in recruitment of young people and they all knew straight away what DofE was all about and what it meant to them as recruiters, whereas only the ones who were ex-Scouts had any idea what Gold and Platinum Awards might be and they weren't sure about its equivalence to DofE.
    May be its time TSA got out and about and spread the word then.
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    May be its time TSA got out and about and spread the word then.
    Indeed . our awards require commitment over and above the DofE requirements. Also my experience is that in scouting we do the awards particularly the expedition as they are meant to be done, not in the way some other providers tend to do...

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Always interesting to hear how other units do things and how it works for them. TBH I can see most of them doing the DofE and then maybe a few of them doing the extra for the platinum and diamond awards. Quite a few of them are already doing DofE through school; but some of the schools some of them attend say that because they are over subscribed, then if you are in Scouting you can't do it with the school but you can do it through them, which I am happy to do for them if they want to do it.