Thread: Network Members who are Leaders

Thanks

Network Members who are Leaders

I gather from the latest census data that 1 in 4 explorers are Yl's.

Does anyone know how many Network Members are also adult Leaders?

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Because many Network members are paid for as leaders, supporters or managers, and the statistics box for network paid elsewhere is often not filled in, the data is unreliable.

However, it's somewhere in the region of 75% volunteering. I.e. there are at least three times more Network members paid for as leaders, supporters or managers than there are that are just Network members.

But if anything, that figure is too high. We should be allowing people to complete the programme and their personal development; there should be no expectation of serving the younger sections at that age.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    I don't think the figure is too high at all. At Network age you are old enough to make the decision about what role you want in scouting. I feel that being a leader does more for your personal development then being a sole network member. I always think about going into a job interview, i would get a better reaction if i told someone i was a cub leader rather then a member of network.
    Luke

Cub Scout Leader - (County of Somerset)

- Wood Badge
    - 'Greenfield' Nights Away Permit

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lukescout View Post
    I don't think the figure is too high at all. At Network age you are old enough to make the decision about what role you want in scouting.
    However, in many cases, people are NOT making decisions when they get to 18, they're told to "fill in a CRB form", and suddenly find themselves up in front of the appointments sub-commitee for the role of ACSL, without knowledge of applying for it, or even a discussion of what options exist at 18!

Not saying it happens everywhere, and I'm sure many people do make conscious decisions, but it does happen!
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    However, in many cases, people are NOT making decisions when they get to 18, they're told to "fill in a CRB form", and suddenly find themselves up in front of the appointments sub-commitee for the role of ACSL, without knowledge of applying for it, or even a discussion of what options exist at 18!

Not saying it happens everywhere, and I'm sure many people do make conscious decisions, but it does happen!
    this is very true. when i went to my appointments meeting Network was not mentioned at all! i was 22 at the time.

and this looks like one of the reasons why:

http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/thre...hlight=network
    Last edited by lukescout; 21-04-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Luke

Cub Scout Leader - (County of Somerset)

- Wood Badge
    - 'Greenfield' Nights Away Permit

Thanks
    I went to a RDA day for the East, a few years back (2010 i think) and I am pretty sure that the HQ people supporting the Network session suggested that the number of Network members who were leaders had increased over time. As Peter indicates its very difficult to get accurate figures, because leaders/active support members/etc who are also Network members, may not be recorded as the latter unless there is another reason such as award work.
    Martin Whelan

Thanks
    With the last two census' I've dealt with the majority within my county have been Network+leaders and currently my recent admin paperwork shows a higher percentage of members are leaders (noteably all are assistants).
    I have to seperate the 'network only' members and 'network members recorded elsewhere' (ie leaders) on the census but Ive only ever seen the 'network only' number on the census results sheet- so it's hard to gauge really.

If there is a document that details all network members inc those with other roles I'd be interested in seeing it.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by joannacparker; 06-06-2012 at 05:41 PM.