Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: St Georges Day Parade

Thanks

St Georges Day Parade

Just taken part in our local Parade.

The parade itself was fine.We got wet but hey ho thats life and there was not enough room to form up properly allocated.

The problem was the service.The YP quickly tired of the unispirational service,poor choice of hymmns and badly piped music. We were split on arrival between sections so YP ended up mixed up all over the place in what ended up like a pop concert crowd despite initial taping off. All the beaver flagbearers where hived off to stand together without a supervsiing adult.One lad started messing around with his flag and then in seconds there where several messing about with no one saying a word.

It was clear few YP knew the lords prayer. The YP had to endure speeches by District bigwigs that droned on, All the promises where taken by Commisioners and were poor ( Rainbow and Brownie Guide Leaders and Beaver Leaders inaudible and the DESC froze). Commisioners given awards by County before bored YP. No one on the podium was inspirational and none where under 50+.

It was not good and I cant imagine any Scout joined as a result of this experience.

Still how should these be improved? What features does a good St Georges parade have and what would it look like?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    Still how should these be improved? What features does a good St Georges parade have and what would it look like?
    It would probably look like a district family camp, where 750 spend the weekend at the local site, do activities all day saturday, sunday morning, then a 2 hymn service, a reading, and awards kept as brief as logistically possible.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    It needs you on the organising committee scalywag. Simple.
    Talk to your DC and volunteer for next year then you won't be disappointed.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Volunteer to help. If you just moan about it on here, nothing will change. If you get involved with the organisation, you can help form the change.
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    we had a district parade members of beavers, cubs, scouts, explorers, leaders and fellowship.The parade was split into sections beavers and their leaders at the front working back to explorers, each group had their leaders behind them. The church service dare i say it was fun for adults and children. 4 hymes 1 was one more step along the world which was lively and enjoyable. The reading was quick. The renewal of promise was done by the assistant district commissioners for the beavers and cubs, scouts explorers and leaders was by the district commissioner. The reverend who took the service asked for 2 volunteers to show how to eat smarties and gave a cub and a beaver a spoon attached to a bamboo cane and let them work out how to eat them, he then explained how important team work and not being selfish works. Through my time as a scout leader and as a cadet this was the most enjoyable parade ive done.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike142sl View Post
    It needs you on the organising committee scalywag. Simple.
    Talk to your DC and volunteer for next year then you won't be disappointed.
    I am not moaning just looking for good ideas!

------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    Volunteer to help. If you just moan about it on here, nothing will change. If you get involved with the organisation, you can help form the change.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayley Doughty View Post
    how to eat smarties and gave a cub and a beaver a spoon attached to a bamboo cane and let them work out how to eat them, he then explained how important team work and not being selfish works.
    I shall commandeer this one!

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    It would probably look like a district family camp, where 750 spend the weekend at the local site, do activities all day saturday, sunday morning, then a 2 hymn service, a reading, and awards kept as brief as logistically possible.

Ian
    Funny, ours was a District Camp with three 3 hour sessions of activities in Diamond, Gold and Silver zones at the local site. Jubilee picnic for Sunday lunch and then renewal of promises in the campfire circle with 3 hymns, some short readings and prayers, a short address by the Minister and awards which should have been done in blocks rather than individually.
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    The problem was the service.The YP quickly tired of the unispirational service,poor choice of hymmns and badly piped music. We were split on arrival between sections so YP ended up mixed up all over the place in what ended up like a pop concert crowd despite initial taping off. All the beaver flagbearers where hived off to stand together without a supervsiing adult.One lad started messing around with his flag and then in seconds there where several messing about with no one saying a word.

It was clear few YP knew the lords prayer. The YP had to endure speeches by District bigwigs that droned on, All the promises where taken by Commisioners and were poor ( Rainbow and Brownie Guide Leaders and Beaver Leaders inaudible and the DESC froze). Commisioners given awards by County before bored YP. No one on the podium was inspirational and none where under 50+.

It was not good and I cant imagine any Scout joined as a result of this experience.

That deff sounds like a moan to me!
    I bat for both teams...

Thanks
    Scallywag you seem to like moaning, as Ker-stee has said volunteer to help.

There does however seem to be this problem with the services and YP getting bored. I think from what I last heard was that the majority of adult awards wouldn't be presented at my home districts st george's day parade as there were complaints about how long it took. Not sure if that actually happened though.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ker-stee View Post
    That deff sounds like a moan to me!
    That because you choose to quote out of context by missing out "Still how should these be improved? What features does a good St Georges parade have and what would it look like?"

Quote Originally Posted by marcush View Post
    Scallywag you seem to like moaning, as Ker-stee has said volunteer to help.

There does however seem to be this problem with the services and YP getting bored. I think from what I last heard was that the majority of adult awards wouldn't be presented at my home districts st george's day parade as there were complaints about how long it took. Not sure if that actually happened though.
    Hi Marcush,

It was a question not a moan -as he knows as he deliberately choose to edit out "Still how should these be improved? What features does a good St Georges parade have and what would it look like?"

Thanks
    That because you choose to quote out of context by missing out "Still how should these be improved? What features does a good St Georges parade have and what would it look like?"
    Not really, whether you were asking for advice on how it could be improved or not, there was definitley a moan still there. I gather that you have already contacted your DC with your views and thoughts and offered to help next year?

Hi Marcush,

It was a question not a moan -as he knows as he deliberately choose to edit out "Still how should these be improved? What features does a good St Georges parade have and what would it look like?"
    I'm pretty sure the ker-stee name (Say it outloud and you hear Kirsty) and the fact its 2 girls in my picture shows i'm female.
    I bat for both teams...

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Hi Marcush,

Sighs... I wish I knew....
    What is great one year flops the next; what you think is great is pants; what you think will be pants is great.
    It does not have to be a formal parade; does not have to be District or County
    It can be whatever you want it to be, we had ours last year on the beach, this year we joined in with the District
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    This subject is raised every year. The District puts on a traditional service which is a)boring, b)too long c) of no relevance to the YP.

The answer is to do something completely different, as has been suggested elsewhere here. A fun-day perhaps or a District camp with a small service and Scouts-Own for renewal of promise.

The problem, and I'll agree with you here, is that StG day parade is nearly always arranged by the District who do whatever happened last year because it's easy and/or it's 'tradition'.

To be fair, this year my District has tried something different but I was unable to attend so don't know how it went.

On the subject of knowing the Lords Prayer, I guess it's because, unless they go to a Church school they don't do regular prayers or hymns so don't learn it. Mind you, I struggle with the modern worded version, and as for the sung variety...

Stephen
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    I would suggest this is something for your next District Leaders meetings - ask for a review of the event and be prepared to offer alternatives.

Our District event this evening at a local campsite. Games, Hot Dogs, short service and campfire (complete with Cecil the Caterpillar hopefully).
    In between roles/helping out where I can......