Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout-owned aircraft

Thanks

Scout-owned aircraft

I was recently at an aviation museum and discovered that the Vickers Valetta there was owned by the Scout Association for a number of years. I believe that a couple of large transport planes were also once owned by the SA, but have since been abandoned.

Out of interest, does anyone know the identity of any aircraft (active or ground-based) owned/formerly owned by the SA as I'd like to try to compile a list?

I'll start it off:

Vickers Valetta C2, VX580, formerly owned by Norfolk Scout County - now at Flixton Air Museum.
    Avro York C1, G-ANTK, formerly used as a bunk house by Air Scouts at Lasham - now Imperial War Museum
    de Havilland Comet, G-APDK, formerly used as a bunk house by Air Scouts at Lasham - now scrapped
    Richard Cullen
    Fakenham Lancaster Baden-Powell Air Scouts

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    Hertfordshire own a plane that flies out of Cambridge currently - not sure of the numbers but if you contact the team through the website I'm sure they'd help!

Thanks
    There is a Glider somewhere, maybe more than one. When I was a scout all those years ago I learnt to fly in one called a Sedburgh that was based at RAF Lindholme (now a prison). I remember hearing that it got moved but don't know where it ended up.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    Hertfordshire own a plane that flies out of Cambridge currently - not sure of the numbers but if you contact the team through the website I'm sure they'd help!
    Hertfordshire have a powered glider rather than a plane.

There was/is another Scout owned glider somewhere in North Wales although I can't remember which Group/District/County is responsible for it. I looked at taking my Scouts there 3-4 years ago.

Stephen
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    Hertfordshire have a powered glider rather than a plane.
    Ah my bad! Saw it briefly in the magazine!

Thanks
    I've slept in the York and Comet that were at Lasham. They were donated by Dan Air who had a maintenance depot at Lasham if I remember correctly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airobat View Post
    I've slept in the York and Comet that were at Lasham. They were donated by Dan Air who had a maintenance depot at Lasham if I remember correctly.
    Me too ! It must have been around 1975 - I was one of 3 Scouts from the divisions of Cumbria were selected to attend an air activities weekend. Did parascending (my line snapped when I was airborne!), went on a glider, a 2 seater plane and a gyro copter (towed behind a land rover).

Correct re Dan Air - the doors had to be left open at night otherwise no air if I recall
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Thanks for the help so far. I can add:

Airco DH.6 - owned by 3rd Hampton Scout Troop, Middlesex in 1921 (no further details known)
    Slingsby motorglider G-AYKK, owned Scout Association, was used at Lasham, fate not known
    Scheibe SF-25C Falke 2000, G-BODU - owned Hertfordshire Scouts, in use at Cambridge Gliding Centre?
    Last edited by RedCoat; 08-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    Richard Cullen

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    I have just been given a few old scout annuals, the attached is from Scouting 71. I can't add another attachment to this post, so will add it to another if I can.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Graham

Thanks
    Here's the auster, it's towing the glider.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Graham

Thanks
    Hey Guys thanks for an interesting thread, seeing this has given we a wonderful idea for a new page on my Scouting Web Site in the Interesting Facts section - " Aircraft Owned by the Scouts" I for one hadn't realised that the Scouts owned some and the wondeful Wiki has a bit of info as well and a picture I suspect are you scouts Readcoat. If any one else has any more info they wish to share please post it here and watch this space for the page
    Last edited by Baloo Doug; 12-05-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Douglas Gowan
    CSL Basingstoke Air Scouts

Personal http://www.thescoutingpages.org.uk
    Group http://www.base2000.co.uk

Thanks
    While hunting for images etc for the page for my web site came across this image of the Avro York C1, G-ANTK in it's Dan Air times

And this site which as a photo of some scouts standing in front of the Comet http://www.scoutsrecords.org/exhibit...k=15&bparent=0&
    Douglas Gowan
    CSL Basingstoke Air Scouts

Personal http://www.thescoutingpages.org.uk
    Group http://www.base2000.co.uk

Thanks
    I started this because I was totally unaware that Norfolk Scouts had owned an aircraft while I was a Scout until I walked into her at her new home at the Flixton air museum and saw that she still had all her Scouts notices up inside. I then wondered how many other aircraft we'd owned and found no list in the public domain - so I decided to add one to Wikipedia. I'll add the Auster soon. Found a nice colour picture of her stored out of use in Scottish Scout colours. Looks like this aircraft was lucky to make it into Scout ownership:

23-06-62 G-AGYH Auster,snapped off starboard undercarriage leg in landing at Baginton.
    25-06-62 G-AGYH Auster,aircraft wethercocked and caught tailskid on a broken runway light.
    01-02-63 G-AGYH Auster,ran off the runway at Baginton.
    09-05-63 G-AGYH Auster,lost over the city of Coventry.
    07-07-63 G-AGYH Auster,struck and damaged a runway light at Baginton.
    20-09-63 G-AGYH Auster,forced landed one mile North of Larkhill,lost propeller in flight and holed top of wing.
    13-10-63 G-AGYH Auster,flown by J.Hill forced landed with engine trouble at Lower Farm,Brandon.

Yes, they are a few of my Scouts in the photo on that page, and although we sadly don't own that Meteor I am working on adding our own entry (as a Ground Instructional Airframe) to the list at the moment.
    Richard Cullen

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo Doug View Post
    And this site which as a photo of some scouts standing in front of the Comet http://www.scoutsrecords.org/exhibit...k=15&bparent=0&

With my best air spotter hat on, if this is the picture concerned, Comets didn't have propellors as they were the first commercial jet airliner.

strato.jpg

Sorry to be pedantic but we do own (and not sure if it counts in the original theme of the post) a General Precision Systems cockpit procedure trainer labelled as G-APDB which in reality turns out to be the Comet 4 at Duxford. We believe that it was used by Air Training Services at Hamble before we rescued it from being scrapped by the DeHavilland Heritage Centre at London Colney.

gps.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by snowdrop; 14-05-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Ian Thomas
    Scout Aviation Centre
    Biggin Hill Airport

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrop View Post
    With my best air spotter hat on, if this is the picture concerned, Comets didn't have propellors as they were the first commercial jet airliner.

strato.jpg
    The original caption says it's a Boeing Stratocruiser.

Stephen

Sent using Tapatalk
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast