Thread: Explorers was fun last night...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,604 Posts

Explorers was fun last night...

The first Explorer arrived bang on 7:30 and helped get the archery gear out for indoors archery.

My AESL then arrived, and an OH... and that was it. Exams, defections, ho well. Maybe the Unit has run its time.

We had a good hour and a half of archery, bursting balloons, improving alignment and aim and then after we put the kit away the final 15 minutes were filled by the AESL, The OH and the Explorer spinning hoops at each other and trying to get the hoops over each other. There was a clear deterioration from the original idea and when I could HEAR the hula hoops zinging through the air I realised that things were getting out of hand and I brought the "game" to a halt.

I explained the LIC guidance and said that if anything went wrong I would be responsible, so they had to stop. Their response, " But it doesn't hurt... much!"
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Maybe they've done lots of archery with you? Time to do some recruiting? And this time avoid all the reckless and feckless

Explorers made me feel old this week, three that are in the same year as my son came down "oh I sit next to him in history". My baby boy! Nearly old enough for explorers? Yea gods where does the time go?

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Out of a troop of 25 I was down to 13 on Monday night.

The ones that were there were ok but a bit lacklustre. I think they are suffering after camp, end of year exams and end of school year blues.

We had fun but had to deviate from the programme. Ended up mainly playing games.

Chalk it up and role on next week then

Andy
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    Archery was not the issue, I rarely publicise what we do. The problem is that we lost several through defections over a discipline issue - their loss, and the remainder have been impacted by exams.

My real problem is that I now have a batch of 17/18 year olds plus the odd 15 year old and nothing in between. Those in Scouts old enough to come up simply don't want to move up, I can understand their reluctance although I'm not going to say why they don't want to move up. I know it isn't the Leaders because they asked me to stay on as SL.

There is nowhere to recruit from really, and to be honest I don't fancy taking in a whole batch of non-Scout background kids any more. I set up Ventures and Explorers to serve the kids we had who wanted to be there, that time appears to have passed and maybe it is time to rethink the reasons for the Unit existing.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    That's a very fair point and I would have to ask if there is anything wrong with putting the unit into hybernation for a while if the unit is not going in the direction you would like. Mothball it until the kids are ready to restart?

As a scout leader I really appreciate what the older scouts offer the troop, I admit, we do try and hold onto them for as long as possible, obviously, we let them go at 14.5 because we have to, but the kids are just at that point that they are getting the most out of it. most ask if they can stay on as YL.

What am I supposed to do?

It's not because there is anything wrong with our explorers, it's a really good unit, but the majority of the kids really aren't ready to move on at 14, it's a difficult age.

I am fortunate in that one of my ASLs is the ESL for the unit attached to the group and he is very understanding as to the reasoning.

I would hate to be an ESL and trying to recruit new members

Sorry I can't help in anyway.
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    Spent last night with Onchan Explorers putting up Patrol Tents in the pouring rain for this weekends Island Cub Camp. I thing all but one turned up, everyone was soaked by the end, including those who had remembered to bring a coat. Four large tents in less than an hour. With the high winds we had last night, I just hope they are still standing!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post
    T

As a scout leader I really appreciate what the older scouts offer the troop, I admit, we do try and hold onto them for as long as possible, obviously, we let them go at 14.5 because we have to, but the kids are just at that point that they are getting the most out of it. most ask if they can stay on as YL.

What am I supposed to do?

Sorry I can't help in anyway.
    Apologies, taking this last bit out of context, but as Scout Leaders there is something we can do - we can be enthusiastic about Explorers, tell them about the opportunities about to come their way, get the Explorer leaders in to let them know what is coming up in the programme. Any Scouts from our troop that want to become YL's need to go to Explorers for at least 6 months before they can come back and they will then also be enthusiastic about explorers, and Scouts about to go up will know someone there already.

Much as I would like them to stay on in Scouts, IMO for their own development they need to move on and we give them every encouragement to do so around their 14th birthday, and preferably in a peer group even if it means some going up early and others late.
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post

...I set up Ventures and Explorers to serve the kids we had who wanted to be there, that time appears to have passed and maybe it is time to rethink the reasons for the Unit existing.
    That's part of the rationale behind a *District* provision of Explorer Scout Units. They open and close as necessary, when and where there is a need for them.

(Yeah, I know, done to death elsewhere...)
    MatSav

GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by astwood7 View Post
    Apologies, taking this last bit out of context, but as Scout Leaders there is something we can do - we can be enthusiastic about Explorers, tell them about the opportunities about to come their way, get the Explorer leaders in to let them know what is coming up in the programme. Any Scouts from our troop that want to become YL's need to go to Explorers for at least 6 months before they can come back and they will then also be enthusiastic about explorers, and Scouts about to go up will know someone there already.
    And as an ASL I try and encourage them to go to Explorers but it reminds me that I need to try and arrange (for the thrid time this term) and ESL to come down and tell them about Explorers and enthuse the YP.... I can push, but there needs to be someone pulling otherwise the YP may end up going off at a tangent!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MatSav View Post
    That's part of the rationale behind a *District* provision of Explorer Scout Units. They open and close as necessary, when and where there is a need for them.

(Yeah, I know, done to death elsewhere...)

This only works where there are people to support a Unit. For the best part of 10 years if I had not run the Unit, then there would have been no Unit. There was nowhere else for my Scouts to go. I would not have had defections if it had not been for a row with a no mark parent who never lifted a finger to help but felt quite happy to interfere with discipline.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    My real problem is that I now have a batch of 17/18 year olds
    So, starting up a network then?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    No, they just hang around as Skills Helpers, sactional assistants and Leaders...

Actually, last night I had resolved to close the Unit, and then four of my Scouts did a turnaround and asked about moving up. Turns out the defectors may have been trying to get them to leave the Group and they aren't having any of it...

Hmmm, think its time to do my Mad Mitch routine and bolster morale and loyalty.
    Ewan Scott