Thread: Special needs Scouting within Schools

Thanks

Special needs Scouting within Schools

I work in a school for students with special needs, and am applying for promotion. As a part of that I have to do a presentation on what I can offer the school, and would love to introduce scouting to our school. Is there anyone out there who is involved in a special needs group, in particular one which meets within the school setting, who can offer me any help and advice in how this would work, how it might link in with the curriculum, and any hints and tips for my presentation.

Thank you in advance

Ange

Thanks
    I think you might need to be a bit more specific on what type of special needs you work with, and their severity.
    The Online PA Company - providing virtual personal assistant services to businesses across the UK.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BBowen View Post
    I think you might need to be a bit more specific on what type of special needs you work with, and their severity.
    You could also ring information centre an dask tehm whats available and speak to your County Special needs advisor. Are there any others willing to help. I would imagine you will need to be adult intensive
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    I thought there was a case study on a similar scenario in Scouting Magazine not too long ago.

Edit: here you go.

Stephen
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    There is a group in my district, that meets at a special needs school, and have a group based their, although the group isn't registered special needs I don't think, most if not all the kids are, and if you have the adults who know how to deal with the kids and think it is a good idea, would say give it a go and see what happens.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    The school I work in has a wide range of needs, but mainly PMLD and autism.

Thanks for that Stephen, I'd been meaning to search for that one, so you saved me some time!

Marcus, if you happen to know of any contact details for the group, or the name of the school, would you be able to PM me please, thank you. And thank you for the support.

Thanks
    You can contact the Inclusion team direct on [email protected], we will be able to find a local Ambassador to help.

Having Scouts as an after-school or lunch club can work well as transport and other issues can be more difficult once the yp have gone home. Having a complete break from schoolwork is good for everyone, although obviously how you introduce this new routine will need to be carefully thought out to keep anxiety low.

Scouting is not designed to follow a school curriculum, personally I would keep the two completely separate, and treat Scouting as a more relaxed environment where you concentrate on the life skills that school does not cover. If you are going to continue classwork then it's not really Scouting, is it? Working on games as a group, a few ineresting badges which have no connection to school work and being creative in your application, for example using craft instead of writing or presentation for the badge requirements.

Scouting in school is no different to scouting elsewhere, having access to school resources and continuing with timetables, PECS etc will bring structure that some of the YP need is invaluable.

Good luck and please ask more questions!

Lynn

Thanks
    My fellow explorer scout leader runs a scout/explorer unit just like the one you are describing. She runs it in school, and has about 5 scouts I think. I will ask if I can pass on her details to you.
    ASL 1st Weaverham Sea Scouts, Mid Cheshire Distict

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    The school I work in has a wide range of needs, but mainly PMLD and autism.

Thanks for that Stephen, I'd been meaning to search for that one, so you saved me some time!

Marcus, if you happen to know of any contact details for the group, or the name of the school, would you be able to PM me please, thank you. And thank you for the support.
    search for Hornchurch Scout District, and there is a link on there with Directory. Then email 1st Corbets Tey Air Scouts, they are the group that meet in the special needs school.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    My mum works for the seashell trust and i know she has mentioned they have a special needs group there, try contacting them through here: http://www.seashelltrust.org.uk/contact/index.htm
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Thanks
    Thank you very much to everyone for the replies

I am mainly wondering if there are any groups which meet in school time, if so do they have to ask special permission to do so in school time (from the LA for example), and do the YP get changed into their scouting uniform during the scout session? Do they take over a classroom, or another area of the school, and how do the YP understand the difference between school and scouting, as I am not sure all of our students would be able to tell the difference until the activities were started, when hopefully it would become obvious.

I have got a local contact now who is willing to help, so am not actually setting up a whole new group, just a part of it, which is quite exciting!

Also unsure of how I can prove to my school in a ten minute presentation that Scouting can bring a really big benefit to the students, especially as one of the two interviewees is really not keen on any uniformed after school activities (but they are very sporty!). Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi ange

Sorry for delay in getting details to you, have sent you a PM. Hope it is not to late and useful.

Kathryn
    ASL 1st Weaverham Sea Scouts, Mid Cheshire Distict

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Also unsure of how I can prove to my school in a ten minute presentation that Scouting can bring a really big benefit to the students, especially as one of the two interviewees is really not keen on any uniformed after school activities (but they are very sporty!). Any help appreciated.
    If you look at the modules/tasks for the ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness you will find that a lot (and I mean a lot) reflect Scouting/Guiding. In my school COPE is run by 2 guiders for children with low academic ability
    If your school is not keen on uniformed organisations then they/you might want to consider this route?
    We joke that COPE is scouting/guiding without the uniform! The COPE kids even went to a guiding camp to learn how to start a fire and cook on it... This may be a nice intro to them to join scouting/guiding at a later date?

If youre not keen then there still is loads to highlight-life skills, first aid, cooking, teamwork- quite a bit really!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by joannacparker; 30-06-2012 at 10:20 AM.