Thread: District PLF

Thanks

District PLF

Does anyone run or know of a District Patrol Leader Forum and if so, how often and what kind of things do you discuss?

Do you just hold a forum or do you combine it with an event for PLs or hold it at another District event?

Interested to hear your thoughts!
    PJ :o)

ADC (Scouts) - Birkenhead
    District Archivist - Birkenhead

Thanks
    We don't run a District forum, but we have run several County PL Training weekends. A mixture of different types of thought provoking and fun training execises.

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

SL - 44th Swansea
    Thanks
    I have just got involved in the district team (as a section leader) and have recently helped to run such an event. At the same time we held our district leaders meeting while a couple of other leaders kept an eye on the PLs. We are intending to turn this into a yearly event as they came up with a few brilliant ideas for the district programme.

We ran some team building activities before asking the PLs to sit down and discuss, so they felt at ease in each others company. It helped that some knew each other from school. Once we received their feedback we finished off our meeting; incorporating their ideas.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Does anyone run or know of a District Patrol Leader Forum and if so, how often and what kind of things do you discuss?

Do you just hold a forum or do you combine it with an event for PLs or hold it at another District event?

Interested to hear your thoughts!
    What a genuinely good idea! I'd expect you need to sugar the pill the first time to get any bums on seats, but if they really do feel they're making a difference(and that their ideas are taken on board) I'm sure it would take off.
    Back in the early 70s my district used to have a District PL Council, that changed some of the Dist Competitions and got a Scout District Christmas party organised. The latter ran for many years.
    SLs don't do that any more.

ACSL
    Thanks
    Our district has a district 'youth forum', open to all PL's and explorers. This matches what our county is just starting.

I personally think it is a fantastic idea but it is not widely supported, only scouts from about 3 troops attend (out of 12 troops and 2 ESUs). However, I do think it has potential but I think the format needs changing.
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Thanks
    I would question what the point is. The Scout programme fundamentally happens within groups. Is a District forum able to impact the Scouting that happens in groups or will it be pointless waste of time that doesn't impact the programme that the Scout troops run?

We engage with our Patrol Leaders in planning the troop programme and they have the chance to directly influence what happens. The decisions they help make matter. Can the same be said for a District forum?

I would suggest that the role of the District is to support the section leaders and therefore if the district team want to find out what they should be doing the people to ask are the Scout leaders. The District should be supporting the section leaders in engaging with the Patrol Leaders.

I've witnessed a couple of attempts at getting feedback from PLs at a county event and I think I could have predicted in advance what they would say. It's no surprise that they want more exciting activities and less boring work. If the forum doesn't have the power to influence what happens does it have any value?

Thanks
    one reason for it is to show the PLs can make an input that is useful. This is, I suppose, educating the SLs.
    In a couple of troops I know not much heed is paid to anything any yp says. Certainly no "PLC" or LF" takes place.
    And I DO think that PLs can tell it how it is to District, whereas adult leaders get stuck in their own ruts

Thanks
    We don't run a District PLC/F as such. We used to run District based PL/APL training weekends at which they got the opportunity to put forward ideas and comments to the District Leadership team. They haven't run for a couple of years though. (Edit: it has been run this year.)

Stephen
    Last edited by Gooders; 21-07-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    I ran our District PLF this week and we had a mariokart challenge night (sugaring the pill) , then sat down for a chat. We discussed how patrols work, what PLs do, patrol spirit, and patrol camps. We also talked about District events and competitions to ensure that everyone knew what was going on and when.
    I think every PL went away with some new ideas to take back and discuss at Troop and I came away with a few ideas and jobs to do!
    We now have 4 District PL events to plan for the year - a chill out camp in October that coincides with our County PLF, our PL leadership training weekend in January called 'i.Lead' , a PLs gathering after St George's Day service and a survival camp next June/July.
    PJ :o)

ADC (Scouts) - Birkenhead
    District Archivist - Birkenhead

Thanks
    Am I the only one who saw the initials "PLF", and my first thought was of the generally accepted kayaking abbreviation for a way to get yourself out of a dangerous situation - "Paddle Like F**k!"?
    MatSav

GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I