Thread: BSA and LGBT members from outwith the USA

Thanks

BSA and LGBT members from outwith the USA

Hi Wayne, I hope you are keeping well.

In the wake of the latest discriminatory decision by BSA I hope you've seen the positive mentions of your "It Gets Better... Today" video in some of the gay press.

Another Escouts member asked in another thread what would happen to Scouts on an international trip to the USA if it was found that members were LGBT. Has BSA given any assurances to welcome all Scouts from around the world, regardless of sexuality, as their brothers and sisters in Scouting?

Also, by the by, have you seen the Swedish Scout and Guide Council's response to the BSA's decision, and would the Scout Association give consideration to a similar response? (Google translate is your friend if your Swedish is a bit rusty).

I'm sure you've also seen the Netherlands Scouts and Scouts Canada condemning BSA's policy.

Given that other national Scout associations have publicly condemned BSA's position, I'm sure you won't pretend that the Scout Association isn't allowed to do likewise.

Or is it really the case that British Scouts are not allowed to stand up for what we believe in in the same way as other Scouts around the world?
    Last edited by DuncanHill; 19-07-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: I am profoundly angry at SA silence on this issue. Are we too in the pocket of homophopic churches?

Thanks
    Hi Duncan,

Hopefully reflecting on the post in the cold light of day you may wish to edit it again. I think you'll have to agree that TSA has been very supportive on the general topic of inclusivity irrespective of sexual orientation and has moved us a very long way. We are certainly not in anybody's pocket, and such comments are not helpful to your cause.

I've blogged several times on the frustrations of Scouting politics, especially at a World level and this is one of them.

In responding to Jack's post, I've shared the statement that TSA has issued when requested. We are confident that BSA is welcoming to all Scout visitors and fellow Scouts generally irrespective of their sexual orientation.

Regards,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    I tried to reply privately - but it proved impossible.

This is what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by bulpittw
    Hi Duncan,

Not sure if you have seen on the website, but we have strengthened our position on BSA, issued the statement through the website and written to both BSA and WOSM.

Regards,
    Wayne
    Well, issuing the statement on the website is an improvement - it is a shame that it took so long to be on the website. The Swedish response was in their national press well before I asked you.

I'll reply in full later - but I will say here and now that given the SA approval of a Catholic document for use in Scouting describing gay people as "less than human" in our sexual relationships, I'll not withdraw my comment about it being in the pocket of homophobic churches. I do not understand how it can ever be acceptable to tell LGB youth such a thing.

I also don't understand why it took so long after you first read my post for you to reply - and I'm sure will will admit that the post as you first read it was not in any way bad-tempered. I don't doubt your commitment to fairness - but I do doubt the willingness of others in "senior" posts (mostly unknown to leaders and other menbers) to allow SA members to speak on on such issues.
    Last edited by DuncanHill; 01-08-2012 at 11:34 PM.