Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: District Meetings

Thanks
    DESL meetings here are painful. No District programmed activities in 11 years. No International camps or Moots. A DESC that is negative. A District that doen't really understand the Section and doesn't properly support. ESLeadership broadly get on well with the result we all do our thing in our Units with our Groups and if our paths happen to come together take those opportunities.

Could and should be so much much better.Answer is a new DESC. One that can show some inspiration and leadership to the Explorer Leaders and YP. Unfortunately District chooses from their own so thats unlikely to happen. Need a DC too; one who can give some inspiration, leadership and time.

Its overdue that we can have Explorers Units back as an integral part of Groups.

Thanks
    Don you can look for international oppurtunities on TSA website, so will find out about moots. I would post link, but meant to be doing an essay and knowing my lock would close a journal I've got open.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Could and should be so much much better.Answer is a new DESC.

Its overdue that we can have Explorers Units back as an integral part of Groups.
    But if ESUs were back in groups, what would the DESC do?

And what about the districts where it *is* working?

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Ian
    He could be ADC Explorers?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    He could be ADC Explorers?
    of course s/he could be!

this would somewhat simplify arrangements in greater auchtermuchty district. the single explorer unit for the whole district would go. and this would be the outcome:

a new ADC explorers (probably the same person who is currently DESC).

ESLs would return to 'their' groups or at least affiliate to one.

4th auchtermuchty would 'legally' have a ESU rather than the present 'illegal' 4th auchtermuchty.

5th auchtermuchty would have a ESU rather than a hotch-potch of explorers who scout under the name of Young Leaders.

1st auchtermuchty could have a functioning ESU in a year's time given that scouts will 'move-on' rather than leave.

looking quite good so far in auchtermuchty district!!!!!

now there was one more question i had to answer...forgotten it! never mind. can't have been important.

regards, TM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Ian
    Thats exactly why both options should be available

Rich

Thanks
    Our District is currently struggling for ESLs with cover from other sections, GSLs, etc. We have three ESUs (plus YLU which is virtual) covering 13 groups. Apart from a couple of groups who are less "engaged" in District life we all send Scouts to Explorers and encourage them to go to the unit where their friends are or the unit which meets on the most conevenient night. The District Explorers meet together about once a month for District night to do those things you can't do with a small number.
    The question is why we can't find (and keep) good ESLs - some are too young (says an old fuddy-duddy), some have too many other commitments (we are in London commuter land) and many do not seem to really understand the age group (and there does not appear to be much relevant training available).
    Numbers of youngsters are good and we seem to get quyite a few at 14 from outside Scouting and Guiding.

But getting back to the original topic - any District meeting needs to have a purpose, a decent chair, timely notes/minutes and participants preapred to listen, discuss, take actions and follow them through. My experience is that they fall down on most counts to some degree or other!
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    It's overdue that people stop living Scouting a decade ago and got on with helping get Explorers running properly.

Barney

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at 2M View Post
    Yesterday I attended my first DESLs meeting and have come away totally demoralised and seriously thinking of cancelling my appointment. The meeting ran for just under two hours in which time the only decisions reached were the dates of the next meetings. I came away thinking that was two hours of my life I will never get back.

No District events were planned and individual Units' forthcoming programmes were not even mentioned, so there was no opportunity either to join in, which I thought was the difference between Explorer Scouting and Ventures, or to poach any good ideas. In the last 24 months the only 'District' event for Explorers has been St George's Day.
    what a sorry state of affairs.

i should correct you by saying this is not technically a 'district meeting'; the analogous meeting in a scout group is the group scouters' meeting (GSM).

may i suggest that your DESC needs to look at this, and most especially at themselves!?

what did you do for 2h?

Additionally I was advised that decisions made 8 years ago could not be re-visited, even though my Explorers had requested that I raise the issue.
    what was/is the issue? no tea break? no chocolate biscuits with the tea? you can re-visit any issue, at any time, any number of times over! whether anyone will listen if you just keep asking the same thing over and over, or keep banging your head against a brick wall, is another matter.

50% of the District's units were represented, although the missing units account for over 65% of the District's Explorers.
    looks a bit fragmented doesn't it? want to know who's the culprit? here they are -------------------------------> DESC.

the buck always stops at the door of the DESC.

if this was me i'd have fallen on my sword a long time ago.

How does this compare with other Districts' District Meetings? What do you hope to get out of them, do you bother attending and what is the attendance rate like? How do you share ideas and do you offer any of your meetings/activities to other Units?
    as i said, this is a meeting of a district provision, it's not a district meeting of different provisions. the comparison is with the GSM, not district meetings.

as regards district meeting, oo 'eck, will have to have a think!

cordially yours, TM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    looking quite good so far in auchtermuchty district!!!!!
    There's no reason (except intransigance and available leaders) that you couldn't have explorers set up in just the way you describe, units that meet at groups that are part of a district provision.

Perhaps HQ should roll out some more DESC training attached to a large brick.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    As I have been supporting our local explorers and have attended every weekly meeting,camp and event for eleven years I think i am doing my bit Barney255. Their waiting for their first District event still. The Group supports them financially whilst the District has yet to put a pound in. Their meetings are indescribable. This is because the wrong person is DESC. Until she goes it will only get worse.

Thanks
    This is because the wrong person is DESC. Until she goes it will only get worse.
    How do the other ESLs feel about it?

I've seen GSLs ousted when all the leaders got together and said to the DC "it's him or us", and the GSL went as their position was untenable. Not a nice thing to happen, but the alternative wouldn't have been pretty for the group either.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Keith, did you attend district development day as I know (well I got told) that Explorers was talked about.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcush View Post
    Keith, did you attend district development day as I know (well I got told) that Explorers was talked about.
    No - family commitments that day. If Explorers was talked about it has not been fed back to those that couldn't make it. Just the usual blanket 'great success', without any specifics that we could all benefit from. If you can't attend these events, and some of us have lives outside of scouting, then there is never any feedback.
    The Roman Empire did not become great by holding meetings. It did so by killing everyone that opposed their point of view.