Thread: A brilliant night at cubs

Thanks

A brilliant night at cubs

Last night was one of those nights that just worked! Not much planning involved, in fact I changed the programme two days before. We finished off our communications badge after doing part of it earlier in the term. I'd read on here about using a third party to be the 999 operator and it was brilliant!

At the start of the meeting I told the cubs, after asking them to remind me of items I needed at the shop on the way home, that we had a training slot booked with the 999 Training Academy for 7:15, giving it a lot of importance and credibility saying that we couldn't call 999 and explaining about hoax calls and time wasting. At 7:15 I interruped the activity they were doing (risk assessments) and made the call after telling one cub that his scenario was that the house across the road has smoke pouring out the windows and he could speak to the operator:

me: Good evening, this is ****** cub group, we have an appointment for training booked for 7:15. I'd like to pass you over to Smithy for his training.
    Smith then took the phone and responded to the very official, realistic operators questions, even going to the window to see if t here were lights on in the house, he told them which service he required, where he was etc. The operator then asked to be handed back to akela. I told another cub that his friend had collapsed on the floor, bumped his head and wasn't responding. So he took over the call until he was told that an ambulance was on his way and hand the phone back to akela. I told them obviosuly that neither the fire nor the ambulance were on their way for real, but this would be how the call would be conducted. They were both very nervous and convinced the whole thing was real!

After this we played chinese whispers (very funny) and I asked them to remind me of the message I had given them. We played a game with all four emergency services at compass points in the room and I called out both emergency and non-emergency scenarios and they had to run to the correct service or stay in the centre fo the room if non-emergency.

I'm leaving as Akela in two weeks to become ASL, but I'm really wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

It's the good nights that make you realise why you do it

PS. I'd like to thank whoever put the idea on here about the 999 call and the compass poitn game

PPS. I did confess to them all at the end that the 999 Training Academy was actually my husband!

ACSL
    Thanks
    Sounds a great evening and so what if it was your husband at least it helped the kids, when we did first aid and had them calling the ambulance some of the kids just skipped through as they had to go talk with chil as the ambulance operator, one or two of the trouble makers just decided to shout 'chil send me an ambulance I got a dead guy'. The trouble was it didn't seem real, didnt hold their attention and they thought they could mess about. You made it real to your kids at the important time, meaning they took the maximum out of the 'training'.

Thanks
    Sounds gre8t, Why are you moving to ASL?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Sounds gre8t, Why are you moving to ASL?
    I was thinking the same
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks

Smile

Because I've ran cubs for three years and haven't been enjoying it recently with leader issues and cub issues. I've struggled with the new ones moving up from beavers. I joined a scout camp in the summer with another group and really enjoyed it. I want to broaden my skills and not stagnate.

I've done two weeks as asl and its hard - especially not being in charge, a brand new leader team and with an sl who has no scouting experience at all. I did run a game last week and pointed out that along with the paperwork I've ended up with I can pitch tents, light fires, skin a rabbit, read a compass etc.

Im going to be upset to leave my cubs but felt it was time.

Thanks
    Could you do a bit of both maybe or stay the cub leader and help out more with scouts? Foot in both camps I guess but if course you can always 'visit' the cubs anyway of course that way your cubs have a friendly face when they move up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenAkela View Post
    Because I've ran cubs for three years and haven't been enjoying it recently with leader issues and cub issues. I've struggled with the new ones moving up from beavers. I joined a scout camp in the summer with another group and really enjoyed it. I want to broaden my skills and not stagnate.

I've done two weeks as asl and its hard - especially not being in charge, a brand new leader team and with an sl who has no scouting experience at all. I did run a game last week and pointed out that along with the paperwork I've ended up with I can pitch tents, light fires, skin a rabbit, read a compass etc.

Im going to be upset to leave my cubs but felt it was time.
    Cannot fault you on that - Thats why I moved from BSL to CSL. Group needed a CSL and ABSL was ready to be BSL.

I'm a slow mover up the sections
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    I'm really lucky that most of our team consider themselves to be "leader with XX group presently holding ABC role", giving them freedom to move across sectional activities to ensure that they do not stagnate and remain interested.

Rich