Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question - Entertainer badge and School plays

Thanks

Quick question - Entertainer badge and School plays

A few of our scouts are involved with a school play ( we found out about this after sendiong letters out for a christmas Scout trip out to the local megazone/laser quest/laser tag)
    As they are taking part in this play ( its only open to members of the School/paretns , so its not a public show) wouild this qualify for the entertainers badge? if it was open to members pf the public then i would say a definate yes, but with a closed play only open to school members/parents etc im not too sure.
    Quite a few of our current Scouts have also taken part in this play in the past ( end of junior School year - year 6? younger Scouts 10-11yr olds)
    Last edited by Richard T; 29-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.

nele
    Thanks
    I certainly use this sort of event for entertainers.. as we don't have gang shows or other opportunities, and many of ours take part in amateur productions, pantomines etc.

Thanks
    Says to "take an active part in a scout show or other production. This should require a commitment to regular rehearsals"

If the school play requires "regular rehearsals" and they are committed to it, then it should fall under Alternative B.

Alternative A says to 'present to an audience at a school, pack, troop, or parents' evening' ... so there is no 'requirement' that it be a 'public show'.

Thanks
    Yes,
    I have used school plays / panto/ productions for the entertainers badge for years.

Thanks
    The entertainer badge says
    'As part of a group of Scouts, complete all the requirements in one of the following alternatives:'
    Unlike the cub entertainer badge which is not this specific, this is supposed to be a scout endeavour? I would not use a year 6 school play, whilst there may be fellow scouts, they are classmates in this scenario and there is a regular commitment to rehersals but it is part of the curriculum, it is not a voluntary decision to participate in this type of event.

It doesn't have to be a production to qualify for the badge I had thought that a campfire with sketches might fulfill this.. they could have a troop night practicing their sketches/stunts and then have a slot at a troop night/camp campfire.
    Last edited by SuziQ; 01-12-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    OMG SuziQ welcome I love your work xxx
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    Lol, was that my insightful scouting or my can the can!?
    I have a scout who is very dramatic and does panto and she wanted her entertainer so I have had a look and a think about what she could do!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
    Lol, was that my insightful scouting or my can the can!?
    I have a scout who is very dramatic and does panto and she wanted her entertainer so I have had a look and a think about what she could do!
    If you knew Suzi
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    I have to agree with SuzieQ this does not satisfy the requirements of the badge which for clarity's sake are
    As part of a group of Scouts, complete all the requirements in one of the following alternatives:

Alternative A

Write and plan an original entertainment. This could take the form of a sketch, film or slide and tape presentation, campfire or stage routine involving the following: mime, drama, music, storytelling, conjuring, photography or sound recording.

Prepare the entertainment, ensuring that everyone has a job to do. For example: actor, producer, stage manager, front of house, publicity manager.

Present the entertainment to an audience at a school, Pack, Troop or parents' evening.

Alternative B

Take an active part in a Scout Show or other production. This should require a commitment to regular rehearsals.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    It doesn't, but we do sometimes (has got rarer) get a group of cubs who do it together and will often get grouped together in the panto, so we'd give them as it is a group of them doing it.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    I'm obviously on a different planet.
    Isn't this a question for your Troop Leader Forum to decide?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    No, it either satisfies the requirements or the badge or it doesn't a careful reading of the requirements shows it doesn't quite satisfy all of them so no badge should be awarded.. Why would it take the Troop Leader Forum (whatever the hell that is) to realise that?

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by etheltheaard View Post
    I'm obviously on a different planet.
    Isn't this a question for your Troop Leader Forum to decide?
    You might have to expand a little on that - I think I understand the principles of a Troop Leader Forum, but since when have they decided on the criteria for awarding a badge?
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Sorry; Troop Leadership Forum: a body that decides on things like this.

And since the original Court of Honour system was set up in 1926 by some bloke whose name escapes me.

Thanks
    I would think that if it was extra curricular (not part of their class work) than I think it would be the same as the intent of the requirements.

Would have to be that the Scout is committed to the rehearsals. Having the teacher tell you that 'we are all working on the play now' is not 'showing commitment' even if you are committed it is difficult to determine if you are doing so because you are committed or because you were told to do so for the class.
    But staying after school for rehearsals would be showing the commitment. Staying in during breaks is showing commitment.

If there is no local 'Scout Show' that they could participate in, and the other Scouts in their group are not interested in perusing the badge, then having non-Scouts who are working together to put on a production would essentially be the same thing.