Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beavers try Cubs night

Thanks

Beavers try Cubs night

Hi,

I am planning a evenings programme for Beavers to find out what Cubs do.

They will be learning Grand Howl flag break & down and the lodges will be renamed sizes for the evening.
    I have a promise game and learning the Salute!

Has anyone else got any other ideas?

Thanks for any help

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Nicole

ADC Cub Scouts

GSL 2nd Langham

Thanks
    Are a couple of Cub Leaders coming along? And I'd want a couple of older Cubs to come along too. Perhaps the Cubs could run one of their favourite Cub Games for the Beavers.

Thanks
    Can you not just take your oldest Beavers to join in with a Cub night?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II (GT-N7100) using Tapatalk 2
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Well I am ADC cubs so part of my role is to give Beavers a small insight to what Cubs do.

As I have had feedback that apart from the moving on award Beavers don't know what Cubs do to start & finish there evenings. So just to have some fun and have a go at Grand Howl can settle some nerves etc.

I have two young leaders who help at my Cub Pack running games. I was hoping for any other activities anyone can suggest.

Nicole

Nicole

ADC Cub Scouts

GSL 2nd Langham

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GSLColchester View Post
    Hi,

I am planning a evenings programme for Beavers to find out what Cubs do.

They will be learning Grand Howl flag break & down and the lodges will be renamed sizes for the evening.
    I have a promise game and learning the Salute!

Has anyone else got any other ideas?

Thanks for any help

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I would suggest asking your Sixers & Seconders to come along and talk to the Beavers about the things they do at Cubs and what they enjoy the most about Cubs. Of course the practicality of this rather depends on how many Beavers you're talking about and how many Sixes your pack has.

Hope this helps.xx

Daniel
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bagheera28; 15-01-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Acting Beaver Scout Leader
    Assistant Scout Leader
    28th Portsmouth Scout Group
    City of Portsmouth Scout Active Support Unit Member
    Portsmouth Scout Archery Club Member

http://28thportsmouthscoutgroup.co.uk

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/ca...outhscoutgroup

Thanks
    Our Beavers spend about 4 weeks visiting Cubs before they swim up so the all know what goes on in Cubs. I had one of our Beavers whos currently visiting Cubs tell me they were in a Six in Cubs as well as being in a Lodge in Beavers.

Imho as ADC Cubs part of your role should be to ensure that groups have their own links between Beavers and Cubs to ensure a smooth transition within the group. A friendly face they know helps and in our group you'll usually find our Akela is around during Beavers (our Akela used to be an ABSL) so all our Beavers know her and usually us Beaver Leaders are around for the start of Cubs. Visiting the Pack before they move up is a good idea and it helps them settle in before they swim up. Ours meet on the same night so that makes the transition easier for everyone. Beaver and Cub leaders need to be working together to ensure a smooth, staged transition between sections - your job as ADC would be to help encourage and develop these.

The best way is having Beavers joining in with Cub activities, as opposed to running a Cub activity with Beavers.

No here's an idea - why not organise a District Cub day which you could invite Beavers to attend or maybe a "Cub camp" for the oldest Beavers from each colony - pack them full of all the fun stuff cubs do, give them a taste of what happens at Cubs.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager

Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    This is for my own Group which I am also GSL of.

One reason doing this programme is we have some very shy Beavers who are doing 3 week link up but just giving them an idea what to expect.

Sorry I was only trying to help nervous Beavers. This is the 4th post I have put up and being shouted down at. so I will stop posting and just read.
    Sorry if offended anyone not my intention.

Happy Scoutung everyone.
    Nicole

Nicole

ADC Cub Scouts

GSL 2nd Langham

Thanks
    Sorry Nicole, I wasn't sure weather you had your GSL or ADC hat on so id (wrongly) assumed you had your ADC hat on.

You will always get the odd Beaver that doesn't make a successful transition to Cubs - it does happen.

My advice is that you, or a Beaver Leader go with them to Cubs and get a Cub they know well from Beavers or from school to be their buddy - most will settle in.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager

Thanks
    Hi Nicole
    Keep asking questions, it's the only way we ALL learn!
    In terms of beavers linking to Cubs, ours are fairly easy as all sections meet on the same night. I'm there from the start of Beavers so the Beavers see me around, sometimes I collect subs for them and have been known to organise games for them. I sometimes get involved with their circle time at the start of their meeting - so they all know me. As they get towards being ready to move on, I start to speak to them to check they're looking forward to Cubs and to start building that rapport.
    As we go through those weeks of linking, I talk them through what they need to be doing, this is in addition to having asked their sixer to look after them as well.
    We lose the odd one at the linking up stage, one of those things. I try and find out why if I can but don't push the issue

When we send Cubs to Scouts, I take them in, introduce them and hang around to make sure they settle. Again, keep talking to them and make sure they are happy.

We're lucky, I know that. We have 3 sections where all the leaders talk to each other and work together. Leaders from each section go on the other sections trips so there should always be a familiar face around

Personally, I wouldn't run a specific session/activity around this for the beavers, but given the connections we already have in place I feel we have enough already.

Hope that helps
    Alan
    If I always do what I've always done;
    I'll always get what I've always got

ACSL

Thanks
    Funnily enough I had four going up to Cubs last night, ranging from Already Gone, through Very Keen and Keen down to Floods Of Tears And Probably Going to Bottle It. Also had four to invest so a very ceremonial evening. I did do a quiz where they had to answer questions about Cubs like "what do Cubs call their Leader" based on a chat we had had earlier in the evening about differences and similarities, and they had to pick the answers out and then make up a jigsaw with them. It didn't exactly work but they got stuck in. I don't know why but the "transition" period doesn't seem to happen in our group although I always mention it when first asked about when Smithy is going up. Maybe it's because Cubs happens straight after Beavers, but then again surely that would make it easier and the Beavers are familiar with the Cubs as they are drizzling in during our finishing ceremony, and I send parents over to talk to Akela about moving up.

Anyway, I had the four leavers bring up the four new ones to say their promise, and then the four newly invested ones held the corners of the "river" while the leavers swam up under it. I was very pleased with the effect and had been referencing Cubs all evening, and Floods Of Tears was all smiles and stayed on for the rest of the evening with Cubs!

Otter! Miss! Mum!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alanj View Post

Hi Nicole
    Keep asking questions, it's the only way we ALL learn!
    Nicole,

I for one agree with what Alan has said above. As Someone who's still fairly new to the ACSL role, but also still works with the Beavers, I was also looking to pinch any ideas that may have come up in response to your question. Just lately for some reason although they all seem to have stayed in the pack, the Beavers we've been "swimming up" have only had a week or two at the most to get used to Cubs before they were invested into Cubs - worse still I even had to invest a Beaver into Cubs on his first night visiting :. By reading this you can tell that we need to do something to improve the way we handle the transition from Beavers!

So, go away, have a glass of wine (or two) and take the time to reconsider lurking as opposed to asking questions and helping others out. Your opinions are no less important than anyone else's on this forum!!

Best Wishes

Daniel
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Assistant Scout Leader

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera28 View Post
    Nicole,

I for one agree with what Alan has said above. As Someone who's still fairly new to the ACSL role, but also still works with the Beavers, I was also looking to pinch any ideas that may have come up in response to your question. Just lately for some reason although they all seem to have stayed in the pack, the Beavers we've been "swimming up" have only had a week or two at the most to get used to Cubs before they were invested into Cubs - worse still I even had to invest a Beaver into Cubs on his first night visiting :. By reading this you can tell that we need to do something to improve the way we handle the transition from Beavers!

So, go away, have a glass of wine (or two) and take the time to reconsider lurking as opposed to asking questions and helping others out. Your opinions are no less important than anyone else's on this forum!!

Best Wishes

Daniel
    How on earth can you invest a beaver on his 1st night????
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    You stand him at the front, place his hand on the flag, get him to repeat some words he doesn't understand and then shake hands. Easy

I'm having trouble introducing our Beavers to my Cubs too, we meet on the same night but with a 30 minute gap between and for some reason the last batch failed to come to the meetings I had invited them to before Christmas, the end result is rather than be invested on the 7th I'm now waiting till the end of the month. (Though I may strangle one before then if he carries on!).

Nicole, I like your idea of a Cub night and may suggest it to our BSL sometime.

CSL, Webmaster, Quartermaster and general dogsbody
    Eskmouth (Whitby) Scout Group

"You must be mad to do Scouts" - Friends

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    BSL said he was old enough for Cubs, therefore he had to swim up! I was still ABSL at this point too!:

Daniel
    Last edited by Bagheera28; 16-01-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Assistant Scout Leader

Thanks
    I'm lucky to have some BS parents who are also Cub leaders so I regularly hijack them to come in uniform & ask them to help out. They ask the BS to stand to attention & at ease. By the time they go to Cubs they know some faces. Occasionally our BSSA need to bring along their Cub aged children & the BS are fascinated by their badges. We had an end of year 'do' to which helped. Some of the BS parents who where there asked me to point out the Cub leaders.

Most of the BS that moved up at Christmas had older brothers at Cubs which helped them to settle.

We have done links at the end of terms when the BS who are moving go for an evening. Parents are invited & Cub leaders are at hand to chat to parents. Last term most didn't show as there was something on at school, but word got round that the camp fire was better than being at the school carol service.