Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouter Names

Thanks
    I just met the wife of our ex-BL outside the co-op and called her "Mrs Badger"...

Otter! Miss! Mum!

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Many years ago my group at the time had a father (who was known as Skip) and his two sons helping out. They were known as No.1 and No.2. When No.2 got married and his wife came along to camps she was known as No.3, and his daughter when she arrived was No.3 1/2!
    I prefer not to be confused with a receptacle for rubbish so it's usually first name terms, except for one particularly annoying scout who will insist on calling me Sir -despite me pointing out to him many times that I am not his teacher- or by the name of one of the other leaders (whom I only SLIGHTLY resemble!).
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    As a Scout, it was "Skip" for the SL... but then we were based at a private school where he was a member of (non teaching) staff, so it would have been inappropriate for him to go from "sir" in the day to "mike" at night. That said, once we became YLs we were of course allowed to call him "Mike" (had to remember that it was Mr C or Sir during the school day around campus though!).

Our ASL was a teacher at the school and picked up the nickname "Butch" (his surname was Butcher) - not sure he particularly liked it but didnt try to get rid of it.

Once I was 18 and became an ASL the kids just knew me as Dan (I had been a YL in the group, and was in the 6th form at the school)

Every other group i've been involved in the Scouts know their leaders by first name. I know some Cub packs where Jungle Book names are used but we just use first names (mainly because most of the leader team are parent helpers and occaisional helpers). The Cubs do understand that Akela is a "formal" name for the Cub leader, which is used for grand howl etc. We use Akela for grand howl regardless of whether myself or my ACSL are running it (compared to some packs where i've heard it change to "Bagheera we will do our best",

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

ACSL
    Thanks
    I've never known any scout leaders with a name. Our old GSL was known as skip, which is perhaps why the SL didn't use that name. But then I think the SL had been involved at the group before our old GSL was, so not really sure.

The only time I've heard a scout leader being called a name was one that had changed from cubs to scouts, and some of the old cubs still called him Chil.

At my home group we don't use names in cubs, but have just started at a group in Lancaster and have been asked to choose a name. At home I believe our Beaver Leaders use names of birds
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    It has less to do with respect and more to do with clear communication. If children or older siblings are having to translate messages to parents or legal guardians having two names for the same leaders causes confusion.
    I guess there is differences in different groups. We are introduced to the YP as our 'Scouting' names. Then when being introduced to parents we are introduced as our "Scouting" name also, then we will let them know our 'non-scouting' name too, as they are adults. But the expectation is that at Scouting activities we are called by our Scouting name. We do make an emphasis on our Scouting names as that is what we expect the YP to use to address us. If someone has difficulty with English and there was a possibility of confusion, then I would not give them our 'adult' names unless they asked.

And that 'excuse' is the same as saying that you shouldn't call someone aunt or uncle or something else as then there will be confusions with translations to their parents or guardians.

Teachers have multiple names. The names their students call them and the name that 'adults' call them. Is there confusion with translators? Likely not as people from all cultures have multiple names for different positions of respect.
    When they were children, they called their teacher by one name and likely their parents would call the same person by a different name. Or if they were related in any way they would call the adult one name at school and another at home.

Personally from experience Scouting names get dropped by those who do not really want to 'do Scouting' and are only leaders as a 'body' so their child can join the section. Those that are leaders because they genuinely want to be a leader have no issues with Scouting names, and make things work so there is no communication issue/confusion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by normat View Post
    I guess there is differences in different groups. We are introduced to the YP as our 'Scouting' names. Then when being introduced to parents we are introduced as our "Scouting" name also, then we will let them know our 'non-scouting' name too, as they are adults. But the expectation is that at Scouting activities we are called by our Scouting name. We do make an emphasis on our Scouting names as that is what we expect the YP to use to address us. If someone has difficulty with English and there was a possibility of confusion, then I would not give them our 'adult' names unless they asked.

And that 'excuse' is the same as saying that you shouldn't call someone aunt or uncle or something else as then there will be confusions with translations to their parents or guardians.

Teachers have multiple names. The names their students call them and the name that 'adults' call them. Is there confusion with translators? Likely not as people from all cultures have multiple names for different positions of respect.
    When they were children, they called their teacher by one name and likely their parents would call the same person by a different name. Or if they were related in any way they would call the adult one name at school and another at home.

Personally from experience Scouting names get dropped by those who do not really want to 'do Scouting' and are only leaders as a 'body' so their child can join the section. Those that are leaders because they genuinely want to be a leader have no issues with Scouting names, and make things work so there is no communication issue/confusion.
    As you say things will vary from group to group. In our group letters go out under our real names and young people use our real names.

Personally I use my real name when on newsgroups and like to know the real name of the people I am debating with, but that could be because I was taught that if something is worth saying it is worth putting your name to.

I have never known teachers have multiple names we were always taught their real names even if we were expected to call them sir or miss, when referring to them to a third party we were always expected to use their real name.

Your last comment shows far more about you than the leaders you are been so judgemental about.

Thanks
    I don't quite understand this. I didn't become a Leader so my child could join. I was a Leader before I got married and my kids joined other Groups in other Districts. My GSL and SL were also Leaders before they had kids (the SL had girls who were not in Scouting and the GSL had a son who did join and daughter who did not). We were not a flash in the pan either - we have nearly 100 years service between the 3 of us.

The other 3 ASLs are in their 20s/30s and none have kids and have between 7 & 12 years service each in.

The Cub Leaders do use names for the Leaders but not parent helps/section Assistants. The Beavers if I remember use first names. Cub Leaders have 10-15 years in each and the Beaver Leaders 20 & 15.

So I can't work out how having Scout names fit with just parents wanting places for their kids. Incidentally we have 120 kids in the Group.

What we do works for us.

Thanks
    Personally from experience Scouting names get dropped by those who do not really want to 'do Scouting' and are only leaders as a 'body' so their child can join the section. Those that are leaders because they genuinely want to be a leader have no issues with Scouting names, and make things work so there is no communication issue/confusion.[/QUOTE]

Hi
    I find this comment quite offensive.I have been a Leader in eight different Groups,in five different Counties,in two different countries and only once was with a Group where the Leaders had names.I didn't like the name they chose for me,'spoons' a play on my surname, but put up with it until I left. I was a Leader before I had children and am still a Leader, my son now being 45 yrs old. My first leadership role was in 1954 so I don't consider myself a 'body' and never have.

Thanks

I'm one of them short term parents - I wished you'd posted this 5 years ago when I could have left but then I guess my sons {ACSL} and {AESL} would not have let me

I found scouting when my youngest hit beavers at 6 - he's now a 24 year old ACSL and I've loved any minute of it.

I've just accepted DSL [activities] as well as being CSL. As long as its respectful I don't care what they call me - in Cubs its Aklea - I like tradition. In Scouts and Explorers its Roger.

When its time for meals OI YOU works too
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    I'm one of them short term parents - I wished you'd posted this 5 years ago when I could have left but then I guess my sons {ACSL} and {AESL} would not have let me

I found scouting when my youngest hit beavers at 6 - he's now a 24 year old ACSL and I've loved any minute of it.

I've just accepted DSL [activities] as well as being CSL. As long as its respectful I don't care what they call me - in Cubs its Aklea - I like tradition. In Scouts and Explorers its Roger.

When its time for meals OI YOU works too
    As am I (although perhaps not as long-serving as Roger as my sons are 18 & 15 and I only signed up when my eldest moved up to Cubs ).

In our Group of 25 appointed leaders, 12 are parents of existing members, 3 are parents of former members, 3 are children of current or former leaders and just 7 have no familial connection with the Group.

Looking at the list of our leaders, they all contribute as much as they are able to the successful running of their section. I would say that every one of those wants “to do Scouting” and are not there just as a “body” or to make up the numbers and none signed up “just” so their child could join the section. To suggest otherwise is, as others have said, quite offensive.

Returning to the OP, Beavers & Cubs have names for the Leaders, Assistant Leaders and Section assistants (Beavers use names of birds and Cubs use the Jungle Book names). Scouts use the leaders’ given names. Most parents address me as Baloo, but all are aware of mine and the other leaders’ proper names.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.ť Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Now please forgive me if I am wrong but I believe that the title of Skip actually has nothing to do with the navy but was taken from the nickname of the first Gilwell Camp Chief. He was Captain Francis Gidney (ex army I think) and as someone else has already said in those days it was not done to use a persons first name unless you were very good friends and so he was universally known as 'Skipper'. Following the early training courses it became a tradition to call the Scout Master 'Skip'. Some Troops with more than one leader would have Skipper Paul, Skipper Smiffy, Skipper Fred etc.
    Paul Symons
    DC Enfield
    www.enfieldscouts.org

Thanks
    My group has a tradition of 'names' in Beavers and Cubs but the Scout section lost its leader names a long time ago.
    I have been Keo so am not against it in principal but it would feel odd to resurect it as SL.
    I think younger Children are less comfortable calling adults by their first names, by the time they've got to 11 they dont seem to mind so much anymore! I dont get sir but I do get Mrs Lady from one scout! I would like to think that using my first name, as other adults do goes further to creating a more mature relationship with the scouts.

Thanks
    Wow.

When it coems to Scouts, there aren't may traditional Scouting names. Our SL is called Skip, but the rest of us go by our first names - partly this is because both myself and the SL are called Chris (as is one of our YLs) so it reduces confusion.

To massively over-generalise like you have is quite offensive. And even if they are only there are a "body", they are still a leader and enabling other YP as well as their own child to be a scout.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,354 Times in 1,448 Posts
    giggle... really?

Thanks
    My Scout troop's leaders have been known by their first names for as long as I've been with the group (at least 10 years) and have never been related in any way to any of the YP.

Scouting names get dropped by those who do not really want to 'do Scouting' and are only leaders as a 'body' so their child can join the section.
    Not true !

Daniel
    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Acting Beaver Scout Leader
    Assistant Scout Leader
    28th Portsmouth Scout Group
    City of Portsmouth Scout Active Support Unit Member
    Portsmouth Scout Archery Club Member

http://28thportsmouthscoutgroup.co.uk

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/ca...outhscoutgroup