Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would your community miss you if you were gone?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts

Would your community miss you if you were gone?

I went to the South East Region Scout Conference at the weekend, got to hear "our Wayne", though didn't manage to introduce myself, as, unsurprisingly, he didn't have just one thing to go to during the day. Anyhow, there was a session on community involvement, which I thought would open up to wider debate, here.

Would your community fight to keep scouting going? Does it see the value in scouting? Are the community even aware of us?

If not, what can we do to change that? To make scouting an integral part of the community?

How come we manage to build new schools/dig wells/paint orphanages in africa, yet in the UK we pick litter in the local park?

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    How come we manage to build new schools/dig wells/paint orphanages in africa, yet in the UK we pick litter in the local park?
    Because "first world" countries can afford to pay for those sorts of things through taxation.

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Our group's hall is a converted 19th Century School, it is prominently located at the corner of the high street and is bordered by a pub and shops across the road, the church rooms virtually next door, and library and "parish rooms" behind.

Very few people noticed when the group closed 10 years ago, and very few people seemed to notice when the group reopened 2 years ago. But through attendance at community events, building relationships with churches and schools, we are starting to get there now!

That said it stlil frustrates me that people think we meet in the nursery school (when in fact the nursery school meet in our hall)

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Good question, ideally a scout group should be as at home in their local community as a fish is in water.

However Wayne should turn the question from the Local to the National, lets face it Scouting is hardly the first port of call when it comes to been consulted about youth issues is it ?

We do not stand up for our young people nationally and our media coverage hardly ever makes the Six O clock news let alone Newsnight.

We have more members active in the community than most political parties but when was the last time we had a rep on Question Time.

If you want the community to value us we can do a lot at a local level but that needs to be support by a proactive campaign to keep scouting in the minds of National opinion formers.

I will now get off my hobby horse and hand it over to you to turn into burgers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    I hate when Wayne comes away with this sort of concept.

Would the local community fight to keep us open? Not if the history of other Groups, and our own is anything to go by. Would they miss us? Probably not.

They would continue to bitch about young people on the street and the nuisance that young people can be (upon which we have no bearing as those young people will not join us). Having seen Scouts close in one village, hang on by the will of one single Leader in another, and in the death throes in the next. Is the community doing anything to support them? Not a bit of it. Not one iota. We have to help ourselves.

We are self supporting we do what we do, largely out of altruism, and that's just about an end to it.

We have gone to the local community and said how can we help? No-one can give us any answers. We run a bonfire event. The largest in our village and we do well and it is well supported. Our Gala, sees maybe a handful of folks attend from outside Scouts. Our hall is out of the village centre, and in several cases out of the village altogether. If we shut, some kids would be disappointed, some parents would say, what a shame, and in a few years we would be forgotten.

We do what we can do locally, but there needs to be more done to promote Scouting as a local community resource. I'll bet that communities with Scouts and Guides have fewer problems than those without. I'll leave it to some statistician or other to work that one out in our favour ;-)

I've attended Community meetings, I've taken Scouts and Explorers to them, we have a presence, but what more can we do than be there, be active and be positive?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Just to make it clear, I happened to hear Wayne speak, but not on this subject, someone else ran the session on community involvement. Sorry for any confusion.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Just to make it clear, I happened to hear Wayne speak, but not on this subject, someone else ran the session on community involvement. Sorry for any confusion.
    Thanks for the correction, I stand by my original comments.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    Thanks for the correction, I stand by my original comments.
    Yes, I don't think the fact that it wasn't Wayne that spoke them made much difference.

It was just thought provoking for me. I mean, I was thinking about how scouts in the locality are part of the community, they play a major role in a couple of the village fairs, there's another couple that run 1/2 and full marathons, there's another that seem to turn up at every event to sell burgers, so I guess the good burger eaters of Farnham would miss them.

Then I think about my explorers, and, hmm, we help with car parking at a couple of events. We "sang" Christmas Carols at the local special needs home.

I don't know, I think the latter was a really good thing, and I think we should build on it, for mutual benefit, so at least a small part of the community would miss us if we were gone.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    That said it stlil frustrates me that people think we meet in the nursery school (when in fact the nursery school meet in our hall)
    Our Hut was often referred to as 'that grotty shed in front of the sports club' ! and indeed it was when I first joined the group. Fair to say it's had a few licks of paint and improvements over the years but most importantly it has enough 'Scout' labels and signs at the front now that make it clear what it is and who it belongs to. We also rent it out to various groups and I'm glad to say that their advertising blurb tells people they meet 'In the Scout Hut'

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Perhaps it depends what you mean by your community. The part of the community most interested in the survival of the Scout Group is going to be those families with children of the right age or children coming up to the right age.

My old GSL used to say that the challenge was primarily to each generation of parents of Scout-age children. Will the next generation of parents pick up the baton from the previous and pass it on to the next? If a generation of parents is disinterested, then its tough to keep things going.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike142sl View Post
    Our Hut was often referred to as 'that grotty shed in front of the sports club' !
    I'm trying to move away from the term "HUT", this conjures up images of a run down shed. I prefer headquarters. I did think about centre for a little bit but that didn't sound quite right.
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

Thanks
    You ask two different questions here.
    Would your community miss you if you were gone?
    I like to think so, we do snow clearance at the local old peoples complex and some gardening and other stuff with them, so at least they would miss us.
    Would your community fight to keep scouting going? No.
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    To keep your group in the communities mind, you have to get out there. We take our cubs to the local park in the summer to play baseball or do activities, we hold plant sales, attend the village fete, post things on the village website, and have a column in the village newsletter. We march through the village on st georges day , and remembrance sunday, all of which reminds the community that we are at the heart of village life. We also go into the local primary schools twice a year to talk about scouting, and thats a great way for recruitment.
    But would they miss us? maybe at leats for a while, would they fight to keep it going, I'm not so sure.

Thanks
    Depends on how the fight started, if scouting quietly dies out due to better funded alternatives, then the communities will most likely not fight. But if someone was daft enough to try and regulate community organisations by saying they wanted all people working with young people to have a university degree in youth work then we might be able to mobilise enough people to fight for us. But as with any action preparation is the key and as a movement we are pretty hopeless at mobilising political support.

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    cordially yours, TM