Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Son Recently Joined Beavers - How Involved Should I Be?

Thanks
    Well done Stu

Don't we all wish we had a few more parents like Stu making the plunge and getting involved!
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Parents help scouts evolve by taking them to scouting meetings! Then keeping an eye on what goes on, parents do that, they are wired hat way. Encourage your son to take initiative and ask his leader about badges himself, and then tell you! Sit and say Wow astronomy, can you do that there? You are good at drawing planets! Ask Beaver Leader, how we do that!

About volunteering, if you have a minute spare give that, nothing more to it.

Thanks
    Jeez, should get used to this iPad app, read the date of the post for example? Answering to a 6 month old post? Stu's probably a GSL by now!

Thanks
    Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread, but I just had to wrap things up by letting you know that my lad had his first night linking to Cubs last night, and he loved it!

Not only that, but along with 4 of our other Beavers (so far), he has achieved his Chief Scouts Bronze Award, and I'm bursting with pride for ALL of them. Cant wait to see their faces when they are presented.

How time has flown!

Me? As things stand, I'm with Beavers for the long haul!
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

1stupton (10-10-2014),BeardySi (10-10-2014),Epona (11-10-2014),Neil Williams (10-10-2014),nevynxxx (13-10-2014),richardnhunt (30-11-2016),roger-uk (10-10-2014),shiftypete (10-10-2014),Testarossa (10-10-2014)

Thanks
    Still with Beavers and loving it, but I just wanted to note that my Son has just been made a Sixer.

I could not be prouder. Both of him and Scouting as a whole.
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

Bloory (06-11-2015),Brian Foulkes (07-11-2015),nevynxxx (07-11-2015),richardnhunt (06-11-2015),shiftypete (07-11-2015),Tomsmum (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    And so this particular story draws to a close.

Son is currently just starting assessment for ASD. We are also concerned he may be affected by depression (his own, as well as mine and his Mums). He is getting to the point where he just cant cope with Cubs any more. Its just too boistrous for him (fair enough, its just kids enjoying themselves as far as I can see), and he needs to know exactly what is happening and roughly when. The latter has caused him to be quite distressed on camps, and it generally makes him nervous, but Im not about to ask the Leader to brief him - they are busy enough as it is.

We were talking about it, and to be fair he has stuck with it for 4 years now, but he has told me he really doesn't want to go to Scouts. He quite likes the idea of returning to the fold as a Young Leader at Beavers when he is 14 though. He is always asking to come and help me at Beavers (they call him Keeo), but I generally resist this at the moment.

His younger sister on the other hand loves Beavers and cant wait to move up to Cubs.

So, feeling pretty sad about it all, but its his choice at the end of they day.
    Last edited by lakes_stu; 29-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

big chris (29-11-2016),richardnhunt (30-11-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 961 Posts
    This is a shame.

I mean, its his choice of course and you'll be totally in touch with the situation so I won't second guess it.

What we've found is, Scouts is a safe haven for some young folk. School can some times be a bear pit which can't be avoided so easily and Scouts becomes a counterpoint to it - a test bed if you will where coping mechanisms can be tried out and the young person can be around other young folk on their own terms. It does rather depend on the leaders of course, in the past we've had aboard a yp with AS - he was with us all the way till age 18 when he left for uni and his Mum still says - despite the odd bump we had - it was the making of him.

We've had other members with a range of challenges, with a little patience and although it may sound cold - management, Scouting can be good for young folk. I've mentioned this before, our Scouts tend toward the nerdy/sensitive end of the scale, we don't get the shallow bullies or the 'trendies' because Scouts isn't trendy. That makes it a safe berth for kids who maybe don't fit in so well.

Its just worth bearing in mind.

Thanks
    Well done for what he has already achieved. Scouting is a fantastic thing to do & I amazed at those who do manage to go through all the sections enjoying every moment. They are few and far between. Congratulations for what he's done. I'm sure when he's older, he'll enjoy being a YL.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear this, it mirrors what happened with my eldest he coped with Beavers (just) and Cubs (as Akela was great and it was quite disciplined) but scouts was never going to happen. We finally got an ASD diagnosis last year. He loves coming to Beavers with me and I am trying to persuade him to become a young leader next year when he turns 14.

I know know it feels sad but actually he's had 4 years and will have gained a lot out of it, and look where it's led you!

Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post
    And so this particular story draws to a close.

Son is currently just starting assessment for ASD. We are also concerned he may be affected by depression (his own, as well as mine and his Mums). He is getting to the point where he just cant cope with Cubs any more. Its just too boistrous for him (fair enough, its just kids enjoying themselves as far as I can see), and he needs to know exactly what is happening and roughly when. The latter has caused him to be quite distressed on camps, and it generally makes him nervous, but Im not about to ask the Leader to brief him - they are busy enough as it is.

We were talking about it, and to be fair he has stuck with it for 4 years now, but he has told me he really doesn't want to go to Scouts. He quite likes the idea of returning to the fold as a Young Leader at Beavers when he is 14 though. He is always asking to come and help me at Beavers (they call him Keeo), but I generally resist this at the moment.

His younger sister on the other hand loves Beavers and cant wait to move up to Cubs.

So, feeling pretty sad about it all, but its his choice at the end of they day.
    'Simba'

BSL/ADC Beavers.

All opinions stated are my own.

ESL
    Thanks
    If it's any sort of indication of what could happen with your own sons, we've had a very positive experience with an ASD lad who moved up from Scouts just over a year ago. He came with so many "can do" and "can't do" warnings that I seriously doubted whether we had the resources to cope, but we decided to give it a try.

In a nutshell, Scouts just hadn't been his scene and Explorers is. We've had no problems, he's fitted in very well and is well-liked, and over the summer said he wanted to be a Young Leader with Cubs. He started there in September and the Cub Leader is already a big fan,saying that the level of empathy and connection he has with the Cubs is amazing. There has to be a very good chance it'll work out similarly for you.

Thanks
    Have you tried asking around the district to see if there is a more suitable troop that he could join? Each Scout troop and their leaders are different with different strength and ways of doing things.

Thanks

So long...

... and thanks for all the fish.

Well, contrary to my post upthread, I kept at it.

I have loved just about every minute, but I just can't seem to find a role that is right for me locally. At least not one that is actually vacant and available! I'll say no more on a public forum.

One thing I will say is a big thank you for all the advice and support I have received here. Best of luck guys, it has been a pleasure.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lakes_stu For This Useful Post:

Epona (17-02-2020)

Thanks

I have loved just about every minute, but I just can't seem to find a role that is right for me locally. At least not one that is actually vacant and available! I'll say no more on a public forum.

One thing I will say is a big thank you for all the advice and support I have received here. Best of luck guys, it has been a pleasure.
    Well done for stepping up all those years ago and helping. If more parents did that, Scouting (and indeed youth provision in general) would be able to offer so many more opportunities.

The time comes sometimes for all of us. For me it was a couple of years ago. One thing I learned at the time was not to feel bad about leaving, but to feel good about the things i'd achieved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 961 Posts

I think one of the things the recruitment process (a horrible term for a voluntary organisation) does not consider, is that it is indeed a voluntary organisation. At work you tend not to get to pick and choose who you work with. But in a voluntary situation, it does rather figure a good deal more. Existing volunteers need to be able to have some say in who comes on board, and in this instance (I think anyway), new people need to be able to say where they want to go and with whom. It's all a bit of a social compromise really.

This forum is proof positive that there are many different types of groups and districts out there. I rue the day we all end up running exactly the same way.

Good luck with what ever you do in the future.