This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 286 of 288 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288 LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 4316
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    I'm usually fairly chilled about coverage of scouting in the UK but I got a bit cross with the Now Show on radio 4 this week. Referring to leaders as "scout masters", saying scouting is old fashioned and then promoting guiding in the modern age instead of scouting as apparently the only comedian who could talk about it all was in the brownies. The reason we have an image as old fashioned is because people don't do their research! Scout masters indeed....
    Oh the irony. Radio 4 talking about old fashioned.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rikki01 For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (21-04-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Delivered yesterday as promised. Now sitting in a crate awaiting family camp this weekend. Excellent.
    DD are excellent. They also sell some 'slight seconds' at significantly reduced cost if you ask about them. I bought a couple of their tarps and spent a good amount of time examining them. The only mistake I could find was that 1 of them had a single stitch that had gone too far. Their quality/service is ridiculously impressive.
    Assistant Cub Scout Leader (1st South Leeds & Morley) | Training Adviser (Central Yorkshire)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    I shall have my DD tarp set up Just in Case tomorrow for the District Akela Trophy Competition.... On firelighting duty so a bit of rain protection is handy.

Thanks
    As a former outdoor instructor I always knew about the Lyme Bay tragedy but I read about the Cairngorms disaster in the 70s the other day and I can't stop thinking about it. Does make you think about why things are the way they are health and safety wise now.
    Nyika (formerly Bagheera)

On hiatus.
    Archery Leader

Scouting for All and nobody left behind!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzledbyadream View Post
    As a former outdoor instructor I always knew about the Lyme Bay tragedy but I read about the Cairngorms disaster in the 70s the other day and I can't stop thinking about it. Does make you think about why things are the way they are health and safety wise now.
    Indeed, but then again, I can remember being told that if the weather looked like turning bad, you kept the kids off the hills and did Plan B. I always stuck to that.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Combined my Scouting and LEGO bricks last weekend when I attended the Blacktoft Beacon District St Georges' Day Fun Event.

20170423_101437.jpg
    Mark Pullen
    Cub Sectional Assistant - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

Formerly:
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County Media Manager, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, Media Manager, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chairman)

All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks

And Then The Murders Began

Found this on the net. Could make an interesting hour or two at camp: get the kids to add the phrase to whatever book they're reading (assuming they actually have books!).....

[People Are Adding “And Then The Murders Began” To Famous Book Openings, And It’s Impossible Not To Laugh

The opening line of a book is extremely important, as it has to be intriguing and powerful enough to capture the reader's imagination. Then, the second line has to intensify the intrigue. Coming up with these lines can be pretty difficult, yet one writer came up with a second line that would almost always heighten the intrigue to its peak, and the Internet is going crazy.

"And then the murders began" - that's the clever line Marc Laidlaw came up with. Add it to almost any opening line and you've got yourself a hell of an intriguing book opening. Now people are tweeting famous first lines of books followed by Marc's second line, with the hashtag #LaidlawsRule. The results are absolutely hilarious! See for yourselves below, and feel free to add your own intriguing openings to the list.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And then the murders began. (The holy bible)

There was an old lady who lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. And then the murders began. (Nursery Rhymes, Dorling Kindersley)

Mr & Mrs Dursley, of number 4, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. And then the murders began. (Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone, J.K. Rowling )

One sunny Sunday, the caterpillar was hatched out of a tiny egg. He was very hungry. And then the murders began. (The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle)

"Where's Papa going with that axe?" said Fern to her mother as they were setting the table. And then the murders began. (Charlotte's Web, E.B. White)

“I wonder what Piglet is doing," thought Pooh. And then the murders began. (Winnie The Pooh , A.A. Milne)
    ]
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Found my escouts password!
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prodigal Son For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (14-05-2017),shiftypete (17-05-2017)

Thanks
    Quick! Someone fetch the fatted calf!

Welcome back.

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post
    Found my escouts password!
    Could I take this moment to say "lastpass" and "Dashlane"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    if the weather looked like turning bad, you kept the kids off the hills and did Plan B.
    Spot on Ewan, but often a hard decision if you've had a long journey to get to those hills. In my District the policy always worked perfectly with never any incidents down the years (which means you can look back with some pride on the weekend expeditions you were involved in). However, Plan B was often a mega game of whist in the local Scout hall ... hazardous in the extreme!!

ChrisA.

Thanks
    So newly invested scout turns up the following week without his shirt... Upon enquiring why he wasn't wearing it we learn it's at the tailors to get his badges sewn on

That was a first for me.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon.md For This Useful Post:

ianw (22-05-2017),nevynxxx (23-05-2017),shiftypete (29-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,521 Times in 886 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon.md View Post
    So newly invested scout turns up the following week without his shirt... Upon enquiring why he wasn't wearing it we learn it's at the tailors to get his badges sewn on
    Surely the maid of all work could have sorted that?

Reminds me of one camp lunchtime "Ian...have we got any hummus?"
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Spent far too much time this week following the Dragons Back Race - 5 day ultra marathon starting in Conwy, North Wales and finishing just in South Wales - 235km covering a lot of peaks on the way. Sadly its way beyond any dreams of me completing it but it was strangely compelling to watch - right down the last guy who was just beating the timeouts on the last checkpoints - finished just before the 11pm cut off to a standing ovation from all the other competitors and a trophy for his spirit. Some seriously fit people around - although not convinced about their sanity!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (28-05-2017)

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mang21 View Post
    Spent far too much time this week following the Dragons Back Race - 5 day ultra marathon starting in Conwy, North Wales and finishing just in South Wales - 235km covering a lot of peaks on the way. Sadly its way beyond any dreams of me completing it but it was strangely compelling to watch - right down the last guy who was just beating the timeouts on the last checkpoints - finished just before the 11pm cut off to a standing ovation from all the other competitors and a trophy for his spirit. Some seriously fit people around - although not convinced about their sanity!

How did Vassos do?

Page 286 of 288 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288 LastLast