Page 300 of 301 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301 LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 4512

Thread: The thread which just won't die?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    I suppose at least if you chuck roses in a landfill it's going to counter a bit of the plastic.....
    What are the plant pots made of?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    What are the plant pots made of?
    Well, perhaps that's the bit of plastic it counters!

I wasn't trying to say it was a sensible idea.... But I can think of worse things that roses to be going in landfill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,016 Posts
    I wasn't trying to say it was a sensible idea.... But I can think of worse things that roses to be going in landfill
    It's just a bit weird, I mean it was in full bloom and had buds, it's still sat in the kitchen looking not bad at all.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2017 - May 2018
    http://www.jambowlree.org

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (13-02-2018)

Thanks
    Talking about best before dates our Scouts had a right moan about us using lasagne sheets past their best before date on our Feb Half Term Hostel Trip. No amount of explaining to them that dry pasta does not go off very fast and is certainly perfectly edible for ages after the best before date, which literally is the date after which things will not be quite at their best, would convince them. The only thing slightly wrong with them was they were no longer percectly flat other than that they were identical to the newer lasagne sheets. Some were actually put off by the idea of the "gone off" pasta and didn't eat all of their portion, which luckily meant all the more for me and the the less fussy eaters who actually understand how best before works.

I wish I had just riped the labels off now which is what I usually do before they can see it and get themselves in a flap (we often freeze some left over stuff and they can get confused by items like bread being well past its sell by date sometimes)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Our hall - when it comes to out of date foodstuff is a bit of a time capsule. I now clear cupboards out once or twice a year, because back in the day, we were finding tinned goods that were fifteen years out of date.

We have one or two stories about some leaders, perhaps being a wee bit too frugal - instead of shelling out that 47p for a fresh tin of beans, the preference was to use the Safeway own-brand beans that were 12 years past their use by date. I mean, watch the pennies... But also, mind the food poisoning...

There's also the story of older Scouts pinching leader's beer from the cook tent late in the evening. Unfortunately, the beer they took belonged to one of the more canny adults on site - it was only 8 years out of date and definitely not right going by the noises we heard...

Thanks
    And because we do our accounts in an actual accounts package (admittedly a Cretaceous version of Microsoft Money, and you could probably do the same in a spreadsheet) last night we worked out that over the last 9 summer camps we've made an overall deficit of 232.41. In that time we've taken about 250 Explorers away. We decided that on balance, that was an acceptable loss.
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    The Big Bad Mouse? He's down by the lake eating GSL cake.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    the preference was to use the Safeway own-brand beans that were 12 years past their use by date
    It would probably still have been perfectly edible in another 12 years as well. Tinned food basically doesn't go off unless the tin itself is compromised e.g. by going rusty.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Assistant Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    just a thought maybe the lead solder on the 1920s ones may be an issue ?

Thanks
    Our hall - when it comes to out of date foodstuff is a bit of a time capsule. I now clear cupboards out once or twice a year, because back in the day, we were finding tinned goods that were fifteen years out of date.

We have one or two stories about some leaders, perhaps being a wee bit too frugal - instead of shelling out that 47p for a fresh tin of beans, the preference was to use the Safeway own-brand beans that were 12 years past their use by date. I mean, watch the pennies... But also, mind the food poisoning...

There's also the story of older Scouts pinching leader's beer from the cook tent late in the evening. Unfortunately, the beer they took belonged to one of the more canny adults on site - it was only 8 years out of date and definitely not right going by the noises we heard...
    If it's not growing it's own fur coat, it won't kill you - mind you get Smithy to taste it first!

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    I suppose at least if you chuck roses in a landfill it's going to counter a bit of the plastic.....
    Roses, Quality Street, our lot wouldn't let anything like that go to landfill!

- - - Updated - - -

I once had a scout eat a tin of pilchards which was a year older than he was! We used to have a large plastic container filled with teabags which went on our camps. Every time it got low a new packet was opened and added to the container. I dread to think how old the ones on the bottom must have been.
    Somewhere around here I've got some ration pack stuff (which must be getting on for 33 years old now), last opened some biscuits and tinned cheese and tried them for our local radio station about 12 years ago, didn't taste off, just a bit musty. One day I might try opening some more......
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    It would probably still have been perfectly edible in another 12 years as well. Tinned food basically doesn't go off unless the tin itself is compromised e.g. by going rusty.
    Probably, but these tins go to and from all sorts of camps & events - we just don't know what they've been through.

(Also, its like 50p for a fresh tin...)

Thanks
    Horns of a dilemma...

Part of me wants more Explorers to sign up to summer camp, because summer camp is awesome, part of me is thinking that's two minibuses nearly full already, yikes! How many more before it gets completely out of hand?
    Ian Wilkins

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    How many more before it gets completely out of hand?
    A bus load? Probably cheaper than another minibus.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    Horns of a dilemma...

Part of me wants more Explorers to sign up to summer camp, because summer camp is awesome, part of me is thinking that's two minibuses nearly full already, yikes! How many more before it gets completely out of hand?
    we've had a similar dilemma this year - our limit is very much based on the number of adults (and drivers) available.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Page 300 of 301 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301 LastLast