Page 316 of 316 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316
Results 4,726 to 4,740 of 4740

Thread: The thread which just won't die?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_broon74 View Post
    [snipped man against physics tale]
    After an incident in the stores I'm now fairly reluctant to be there on my own, took a step back while carrying chairs, onto a bag of poles, that rolled underneath me, I twisted and fell sideways, putting my hand out, that caught one end of a bread crate, which flipped it up and the other end whacked into my nose. Bad nose bleed. Went on long enough to consider casualty. Not entirely convinced I didn't break it as it's never been the same since. As it happened, someone else was putting something else away in a different store and came and found me knelt over with a small puddle holding my nose and trying to be a brave soldier.

Like I say, now only go to the stores if someone else is there or someone else knows I'm there and how long I'll be.

Basically a lone working procedure. Which is what you're doing.

Maybe they just saw the picture and thought you were mucking about? Or didn't need help because you're not really in trouble because you're posting pictures? Or didn't really look at the picture.

Anyway, change your username to Bear Grylls forthwith.

Are we renaming this thread..the leader which just won't die? in your honour?
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Last night...

I was in the hall digging out our Icelandics - on my own, well, except for the Zumba ladies in the main hall. I was up in the attic (where we keep our tentage), the hatch is in the back room.

I was using a pulley and climbing rope arrangement to lower the tents down, unfortunately, the handles snapped on one of the bags. It fell to the ground and knocked the ladder away from the hatch.

The back room has quite a high ceiling...

Obvs took a photo and posted it to a facebook chat group (because that's what you do these days). It has ex-Scouts and a couple of leaders in there - and crucially people who aren't a million miles away. First message came in, "Press your community alarm button, someone will be along to help you..." Ex-scout, now a doctor in Aberdeen.

Everyone else just laughed presumably, because no other ****** answered.

I had to shimmy down the rope I'd been using to lower the tents (good quality climbing rope fortunately). I'm an out-of-shape 45 year old man. I wasn't even sure I could hold my own weight on the rope - once I'd committed to doing it, I wouldn't have been able to get back on to the attic floor.

I hummed and hawwed for a while (got the rest of the tents down), and still no ****** came down to help. There weren't even any messages of concern - "Are you alright?" Nothing. Zip. Nada.

All of that to a Salsa soundtrack coming from the Zumba class in the main hall.

Eventually I shimmied down. Rappelled, lowered-myself, ninja-style... I didn't fall, it was fine (strained my shoulder a bit...) Still no messages. So I took a photo - me posed atop the pile of Icelandics, with on leg entangled through the ladder - no message with the picture just my mangled body.

Still nothing.

The second photo of my mangled corpse is now the group chat icon.

What happened to the Scout Laws?
    I would never have attempted that alone anway. Did you not think to ring or text someone local?

I thought it was bad enough pulling our nijers and mess tent down from shelves at head height especially given the absolute tip our gear store is currently yet again. We have to use step ladders to get buckets, toilets, fire grids, water carriers and the like down and that feels precarious enough to me and I work with ladders most days.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks

Best way to end the term...

End of term for all sections so we had our annual 'Mahoosive water fight' in the local park. Over 100 beavers, cubs, scouts and explorers plus leaders and parents took part. 60 minutes and approx 2 tons of water later....

Fight1.JPG
    Fight2.JPG
    Fight3.JPG
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Ah, we all do things on our own that we shouldn't do... stop sniggerring Wilkins!...

Changing the lights in the hall, from fragile look at them and they break diffusers to waterproof and mostly-kid proof enclosed lights. Plastic housings with knock outs for the wiring... except they wouldn't knock out and I'd left my boxcutter knife at home... you can see this coming... so I used a kitchen knife that perhahs wasn't as sharp as it should have been... Sliced my forefinger open from tip to first big knuckle... I looked at it and started shaking... there was a lot of blood and this flappy bit of flesh hanging about. ... So, did I get help... everyone else was at work. ... I washed it, dressed it, taped it up and shaking like a leaf from the shock... sat down till I had calmed down. By which time more dressing had been added and i looked like I had a bread roll wrapped around my finger... then... I finished wiring up the lights and drove home.

When I got home, I checked the wound and redressed it. Since it had stopped bleeding and my tetanus was up to date I left it.

I got a real bollocking from the boss and our Chairman that night...
    Last edited by Bushfella; 16-07-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I got a real bollocking from the boss and our Chairman that night...
    HJad you forgotten to clean up the spilled blood?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    HJad you forgotten to clean up the spilled blood?
    It would be hard to tell mine from that of the others wounded in action... It could get rough down there. Ended up taking kids to A&E four weeks on the trot. (Just as the result of contact games...)
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Not quite in the stores, but definitely Scouting related.

I took a Vango Icarus home to dry after a camp. I had done it many times and know it only just fits in the garden.

I am putting it up by myself. No one else at home. I am struggling to get a pole into a pin - mainly due to lack of space. It suddenly flips out of my hand and springs up with load of force. It takes out my lip and knocks my glasses.

I am in shock. I had my lip for a few moments. Then let go and a pool of blood lands on the “canvas”. Plus I am thinking how lucky I was wearing glasses, otherwise that is an eye gone.

Five minutes of shaking and applying an ice pack. Then carry on with cleaning the tent and wrestling with the pole.

I had a fat lip for two or three weeks.

That made me wonder if I should do stuff like that alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Last night...

I was in the hall digging out our Icelandics - on my own, well, except for the Zumba ladies in the main hall.
    pa_broon74 hasn't posted again since this last week - anyone else worried he's tried to do the same again and not been so lucky?
    James

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dragonhhjh For This Useful Post:

ianw (22-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Handy tip: If you want more Explorers to turn up to the end of term water fight and BBQ, don't forget to email them all about it, like you normally do.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

big chris (23-07-2019)

Thanks
    Boris. How did we get here?

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    What are the chances of new PM surviving the next 12 months, no matter who it is? Is giving Boris the job now, to ensure his attempt is short lived potentially a better option than giving someone who could do it properly the job, and then losing hem, to him later? Silver lining?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nevynxxx For This Useful Post:

KoopaCooper (23-07-2019)

Thanks
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but I voted for Boris because I genuinely believe he'll be a better PM than Hunt.

...then again, I have been told before that I'm mad, so...! xD
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

Thanks
    I wait to see how many competent (?) MP's will refuse to work with him?

At least Trumper supports him. Not sure that's a good thing for the world, though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KoopaCooper View Post
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but I voted for Boris because I genuinely believe he'll be a better PM than Hunt.
    Wasn't it like choosing between Laurel and Hardy?

Thanks
    God I'm getting old - first time on Scout camp since I was 16, only did half the week, and I'm dead!
    Does anyone know what's going on?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mang21 For This Useful Post:

ianw (05-08-2019)