Thread: Uniform Bank / Recycled Uniform

Thanks

Uniform Bank / Recycled Uniform

Hi
    I have just had a parent interested in setting up a uniform bank :-)

They don't have room to store it at home but that should not be an issue. What do other groups do for uniform banks. I have seen groups that charge 5 per item and I have also seen groups charge 50% of original cost

I am curious as to what people have found best and if they have leaflets/posters to advertise the bank

Del
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,590 Posts
    We have tried this but it never took off. We had a brand new pair of boots, never worn, handed in, we couldn't give them away!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    We have tried this but it never took off. We had a brand new pair of boots, never worn, handed in, we couldn't give them away!
    How strange, I would have thought parents would jump at the chance
    Derek Chambers,

ADC (Support) & DMM mediamanager's Avatar
    Thanks
    People are more cautious about footwear, in my experience, even when the items are new.
    Mark Pullen
    Bradford South District (ADC (Support) & DMM)
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

Formerly:
    Cub SA - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, DMM, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chair)

All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

Thanks
    We tried it but it wasn't very successful. In fact it didn't get off the ground. We had 3 jumpers donated which to be honest I would put my kids in. We kept a fourth as an emergency jumper for investing.

Parents do a lot of passing on clothes in the playground, especially if their child has only been with us for a short time.

As for cost, have a look on ebay. They are selling at about half the price of brand new ones.

Thanks
    My experience as well.

With two kids going through from Beavers, I personally had many pairs of boots (reasonable waterproof ones) that parents would go and buy a cheap non waterproof Millets 'play boot' rather than take one that was used.

Also had a new pair that daughter never wore - couldn't give them away either.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Worked ok for me. I've got a handful of Cub jumpers in my airing cupboard donated by parents at the end of their Cub's time. I take the badges off, launder them and keep them for a parent who can't afford the jumper. I've never asked for money though. All I did was put a note in the welcome pack saying they can donate the jumper at the end, and I'd verbally offer it to the parent when they ask where to get it from.

Anastasia

Deputy County Commissioner (Development) Warwickshire

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    We have some items held by the group in case people require them and if needed will point it out to those concerned although this is not often. Of more use are the items of camping gear such as rucksacks, boots, sleeping bags and mats as there are always one or two who don't have the kit and have to be helped out. Judging by the amount of uniform stuff that seems to be left behind after meetings some people must have plenty of spares at home!
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    My last Group have something similar. Parent volunteered to manage it and items advertised on the Group website www.142group.net - see the Uniform link.
    Turned out she sells more to people from groups all over the country than the 'home' group?

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    See my group have a boot/welly/waterproof cupboard which is well used.
    We had a rush on it the other week before our Challenge Hike and camp. One (fairly comfortable income-wise) parent started the trend by nabbing a practically new pair of boots and I think that made it acceptable for other parents to make use. If its ok for the Jones' kind of thing.

Which reminds me to take down my old boots, scary that Cubs take a similar shoe size to me!

Thanks
    One group I was with it worked well. The GSL would bring the shirts out to the YP as they were signing up and just "bill" the parents for the uniform (let them know there was a small fee but they could exchange the shirts as they out grow them). If the parent had an issue with having a 'used' shirt, then they were told they were free to go to the shop if they wished for a new one. At the end of the year people were encouraged to trade in their uniforms for new, and if they were leaving they were asked to donate their used uniform.

The group I am with now it isn't working very well. Main issue is there is no "bank" of uniforms. The parents all seem to want to keep the uniforms "as is" as a keepsake for the future. Even when we offered to pay a small amount for the uniforms, parents were not interested in parting with the uniforms.