Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The why do people act like morons when having the God debate debate

Thanks

The why do people act like morons when having the God debate debate

What is it with the discussion of religion and the internet that seems to combine to bring out the worst in people?

Let me explain what I mean.

Go to any newspaper website and take a look at any story. On any subject. There will inevitably be a heavy selection of absurd and even offensive comments from both sides of any debate. The internet gives that sense on anonymity that some offensive and stupid people of every persuasion feel the need to demonstrate how foolish they can be.

Take a look at one about religion, and the number of offensive comments seems to spike disproportionately. And it’s the same, right across the political and economic spectrum, no matter what publication you look at.

And I don’t mean just from those of a religious persuasion, it is exactly the same from those on the atheist, agnostic and simply don’t know sides of the whole God(s) question. Whenever the subject comes up people seem to think that that is the time to act like morons.

And the thing is that this is not reflected in day to day life.

Put to one side for a moment the tiny number of fundamentalist nut jobs who blow things up for a moment.

The fact is that you don’t tend to see people arguing passionately in the local pub about religion. You see them argue about politics, the environment, football, music, you name it. But not about religion. I have friends and family who are Christian, atheist, Jewish, Buddhist, Agnostic, Theist, just don’t know and other variations. I have seen them, occasionally, fall out over various things. But never religion.

Over all the more passionate people are in “the real world” about a given subject the more passionate they tend to be on t’interweb. But for some reason that I can’t out my finger on religion falls outside of this correlation.

Just thought I’d see why people think that is.

And finally… let’s try not to turn this into the “God debate” can we try and stick to “why do people act like morons on the internet when having the God debate debate”

ADC (Support) & DMM mediamanager's Avatar
    Thanks
    It isn't just religion - on the website for a local newspaper a small number of comment posters always manage to swing the conversation into a town council bashing exercise

I think, in relation to religion, many people have such a personal opinion and view that the instance they read something slightly different to their slant it raises the blood pressure - just like Explorer Scouts dating Network etc
    Mark Pullen
    Bradford South District (ADC (Support)
    Trustee - 7th SV Gomersal Scout Group

Formerly:
    Cub SA - 3rd SV Scholes Scout Group
    Hove Edge Scout Group (GSL, Trustee)
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)
    Keighley District (ADC Cubs, ADC Beavers, DMM, Trustee)
    8th Keighley Scout Group (ACSL, CSL, GSL, Group Chair)

All posts made by myself are of a personal nature.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post

And finally… let’s try not to turn this into the “God debate” can we try and stick to “why do people act like morons on the internet when having the God debate debate”
    because they are not very bright

because they have not thought through their own ideas before trying to explain them to others

because they have not studied the writings of others who have the same beliefs that could help them justify their position

because they feel threatened by better debating points

because they think they have a right not be insulted

any number of reasons...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    Of course religion falls outside this apparent correlation. Religion follows no logic...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    because they think they have a right not be insulted
    I can't see this as being unreasonable. Insults are degrading, offensive and impolite - we all should receive a level of respect relating to our own feelings and beliefs. Those who act in a moronic way are still voicing their own view and insulting them just lowers standards.
    Mark Pullen

Formerly:
    West Yorkshire Scout County (ACC Cubs, Agent 2:007, County Secretary, County MM, Gang Show Secretary, Gang Show Media)

Thanks
    Think you may have fallen into a trap there Ewan!!!

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mediamanager View Post
    I can't see this as being unreasonable. Insults are degrading, offensive and impolite - we all should receive a level of respect relating to our own feelings and beliefs. Those who act in a moronic way are still voicing their own view and insulting them just lowers standards.
    no. just no.

we do not have a right not to be offended or insulted.

That would be a dreafully dull world.

I find dawkins offensive... ban him

and stephen fry...

and french connection t-shirts

and some of the people on here are offensively stupid and don't even start me on the 1st facebook...

i think some pop music is pretty horrendous and offensive... some pop songs on capital fm are pretty disgusting... ban them...

the daily mail offends my every sense...

and on and on

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    no. just no.

we do not have a right not to be offended or insulted.

That would be a dreafully dull world.

I find dawkins offensive... ban him

and stephen fry...

and french connection t-shirts

and some of the people on here are offensively stupid and don't even start me on the 1st facebook...

i think some pop music is pretty horrendous and offensive... some pop songs on capital fm are pretty disgusting... ban them...

the daily mail offends my every sense...

and on and on
    Tut tut - there you go adding to the piece I responded to. Naughty boy!

You said, and I quoted, the right to not be insulted - you added offended and therefore changed the sentence. I said that insults are offensive but inferred that we should all have the right to not be insulted specifically.

Nobody has the right to degrade another individual (i.e. insult them) but if what I say causes offence to others they have the right to be critical of my comments.

There are many occasions where I would love to post negative responses in strong terms to others on eScouts but I have to understand if the comment had stepped the boundary.

What some find offensive, others find acceptable (though sometimes borderline). Finding something offensive is a personal interpretation and understanding - an insult is aimed at an individual and doesn't allow for interpretation.
    Last edited by mediamanager; 29-05-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Mark Pullen

Formerly:

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    why?

because it's a dead good laugh!

it's a good laugh to lob a few stones at the police from the back of an EDL march. it's a good laugh to nick some new gear from the local shops. it's a good laugh to give the local queer boy a good kicking. it's a good laugh to light a fire in the alley at the back of the local shops. it's a good laugh to wreck all the local signposts and write 'beavers rule ok' graffiti on all the tourist info signs. it's a good laugh to rob a few pennies from the poor box at the back of church. it's a good laugh to mess about in the sidings yard and maybe hook/unhook a few trucks. it's just a dead good laugh to....

problem with these dead good laughs is that they're for the 'brave kids' because there's a good chance they'll get caught.

but on t'internet i too can be brave. nobody there knows i stand 5'2" in my socks, weigh 59kg, and wouldn't say boo to a gosling. so i can use four-letter words, threaten violence, take extreme views; i can be the big boy. i can have a dead good laugh. and nobody's going to catch me.

and where are there opportunities to have a dead good laugh? wherever there are extreme views. (note: extreme not extremist.) my dead good laughs can maybe turn all these extreme views into extremist views and laughs might just get bigger.

someone once hypothesized that the internet would give everyone in the world a good chance to be a moron.

you're 'avin' a larf!

uncordially yours, MT

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    “why do people act like morons on the internet when having the God debate debate”
    God knows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    God knows.
    If she's actually there and still cares
    Mark Pullen

Formerly:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike142sl View Post
    Think you may have fallen into a trap there Ewan!!!
    Nope, Religion, for me is bunk. Spirituality is something different.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    But now you've added a caveat that wasn't there before.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike142sl View Post
    But now you've added a caveat that wasn't there before.
    Okay, I was allowing for the sensitivities of others, I'll remove the caveat. It is a bit like saying, with all due respect. Religion is bunk. Spirituality is something different.
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    You're going backwards now?