Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Closure of Little Abington Campsite

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I am not sure of the property values in Little Abington, but I think you might be surprised what property developers are interested in!
    Bungalows 200 - 450 K
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    The Traveller Community have taken a strong interest in the site, with plots for 3 or 4 self builds and no change of use needed to make full use of the rest of the site for 'camping'. The 400k asking price has been offerred up as an immediate cash sale.
    It's little surprise the local community has put its full weight behind the campaign to save the site.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts
    3 bungalows would be the thin end of the wedge. I'm watching green belt being swallowed up locally, as the developers take it on in small chunks. Sure we will only build 90 houses, the rest is safe... until the next application...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Ewan - that's true. That's how it happened where I live
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Latest statement from the County CEC, dated 18th June 2013
    Cambridgeshire County Scout Council Executive Committee feels that it is important to continue to keep all members and other interested parties fully up to date regarding the proposed sale of Little Abington Scout Campsite. Over recent weeks there have been several developments and the previous information that was made available on this website was no longer up-to-date and so has been removed to avoid confusion.
    So the previous reasons they gave for selling the site are now out of date! What do they take us for? This could be straight out of Orwell.
    The County Scout Council Executive Committee is currently working on a revised set of Frequently Asked Questions and background information and we aim to publish this information very shortly. This information will address the questions that have been raised with the County in recent weeks. It will also reiterate and clarify how the decision to dispose of the site was taken, the benefits to Cambridgeshire Scouting from the sale of the site, and how the money raised from the sale may be used.
    In an email to me on 20 May, the CC stated that there had been no discussions on how they might spend the proceeds of the sale. Now, suddenly, they have a plan ...

We are currently in dialogue with the local parish council and hope to conclude matters with a positive outcome.
    As matters move forward we will update this web site with information about the site. Our aim is to use these web pages as a way to keep all those interested in the Abington campsite as up to date as possible.
    The only positive outcome would be retaining the site. Please, Save Little Abington.

Thanks
    Tonight was the County AGM.

Prior to the AGM the CEC had repeatedly stated that there would be no discussion of Little Abington. To quote the County Chairman

"The agenda for the statutory meeting is fixed and does not allow for Any Other Business to be raised. Abington Camp Site is not on the agenda. It will not be discussed at the statutory meeting or at any other point in the AGM evening."

This line resulted in a number of individuals that I know personally deciding not to go and no doubt there were others.

However, in his opening remarks the Chairman stated that there would be a question and answer session at the end of the meeting which there promptly was. This was the first notice that anyone had that the issue was to be discussed.

I'll try and add something (unless others wish to in the mean time) about the result of that session but right now my duvet is calling me.

Good night.

Thanks
    Did the CEC get reelected?
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    This is shocking, and an example of politicking at its very very worst. I was one of those who stayed away because of the chairman's previous statements. To my previous plea, I would add "please save Cambridgeshire scouting from the likes of the current executive".
    Last edited by GlennV; 19-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    The site will close on 31 July.
    The decision on whether the site can continue to be used until the earliest date the CEC can sell it, 9th November, will be discussed at the next Exec on August 13.
    So we have a campsite we can't use over the summer and early Autumn, despite the fact that we own it. So, no bookings taken. Forget Orwell, this is Catch 22.

Thanks
    The events of this evening demonstrate, quite unequivocally, that the county chairman does not respect the scout's promise. Is it perhaps time that executive committee members are required to take the promise?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennV View Post
    Latest statement from the County CEC, dated 18th June 2013

So the previous reasons they gave for selling the site are now out of date!
    I thought the issue was that previously they had not given any decent reasons nor any information on what it might be spent on. I look forward to reading these.

Neil

Thanks
    They gave reasons, they didn't make sense. Now they're out of date anyway, they say. They said they had had no discussions as to what they would spend the proceeds on. I too look forward to seeing what they have managed to come up with in a little over a week.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    What is an informal tender? Is that where only certain people are invited to tender?
    An informal tender is where the seller does not bind itself to accept the highest or any offer made.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennV View Post
    The events of this evening demonstrate, quite unequivocally, that the county chairman does not respect the scout's promise. Is it perhaps time that executive committee members are required to take the promise?
    GlennV I know that you are new to this board, but you are starting to get personal, which is against the rules of the board. The Chairman is an identifiable person, he is carrying out his role. You can question his and the committees decision about the campsite closure here, you cannot however get personal

Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    An informal tender is where the seller does not bind itself to accept the highest or any offer made.
    No-one is bound to take any offer in any tender, so all tenders are by that measure, "informal".

"An informal tender is where different interested parties make offers at different times until the vendor accepts one. This method of land sale generally markets the land with a date for sale by which purchasers must have submitted an open or a sealed bid and bidders may be invited to increase their bids, after being informed that a higher bid has been received following the closing date for initial bids."

I suspect that one of the issues with this proposed sale is that the stakeholders appear not to have been kept fully informed of the reasons behind the sale. It is one thing for the local residents to be kept in the dark, and legally, County has no obligation to inform the members of Greoups who use the site of their intentions, but morally, they would be best advised to be completely transparent about the reasoning behind the sale of the site.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk