Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouting differences

Thanks

Scouting differences

Are there any major differences or advantages/disadvantages of scouting in Scotland as apposed to England, I ask as I have just moved into Scotland.
    David Hind
    ACSL, 10th Dumfriesshire

Thanks
    It's better (surely)

At the coalface it must be the same (differing from group to group).

Beyond the group, in Scotland there are districts and regions - some things that are run by County in England go to District and some to Region. There is also Scottish HQ (SHQ) which is in Dunfermline. However we are all on the Gilwell database and get Scouting mag etc.

In Scotland we have a separate charity regulator - the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR). Scotland has its own legislation on charities - similar but not identical to England and Wales.

So if you are involved in working with District or Region, or accounts you need to be aware of the differences.

If you go to a big formal event or an international - you get to wear a kilt and lots of people want to have their picture taken with you...

Graham
    Edinburgh

www.pinkpanthersexplorers.org.uk
    www.comelybankscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Scotland is officially a lumpy bit so if you like climbing lumps it is the place for you.

The men can wear skirts without getting laughed at.

Everyone loves the English and will treat you warmly.

Cubs are not the smallest most annoying thing you will encounter.

You may get to learn about the two small skirmishes where the Scots army got lucky.

Scots have invented a lot of things.

Unlike the English the Scots do know the difference between England and Britain.

That should get things started

Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,626 Posts
    you will also need to understand that:

Irn Bru is the other national drink of Scotland, it outsells cola brands at a rate that confounds global branding...
    Ginger is not a derogatory term for an red head - it is any form of Lemonade, with the exception of Irn Bru - as in "Gies a swig o yer ginger..."
    A Cairry Oot is a Take Away
    The epithet, Pal, means nothing of the kind... It is more likely to be offered to intimate guidance that the speaker is a little irritated with you. (depends upon context)
    A pokey hat is an ice cream cone
    Going for the messages is actually going to the shops.
    A Sassenauch is not an Englishman - it is a Southerner. Though by definition all Englishmen are Sassenauchs.
    It is Mulguy, not Miln-gavie

And it is loch, not lock, that is Loch as in och, not lock and in I'm an English twerp and cannot be bothered trying to pronounce the local names.

Oh, and the Scots have a long memory so be careful about taking Tony's two skirmishes as gospel as they will, rightly or wrongly roll out a whole stack of others - Sometimes it seems that you cannot move in Scotland without bumping into battlegrounds and sometimes the families of those who fought them... ( and I'm not talking about Glasgow on a Saturday night).

You may also find that there is a bit of a debate going on in some quarters about some up and coming referendum...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Oh come on Ewan there were only two times the Scots got lucky, the one with the Bridge and the one with the Bog both times they were playing at home and they defeated the snobby Knights on the horses once it was left to the real English using those Welsh bows they didn't win again until the English started to use those nasty musket thingys.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ransley View Post
    And he's not talking about Beavers(/Squirrels/Mice) either.

And they come in their thousands (millions?)
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Scotland is officially a lumpy bit so if you like climbing lumps it is the place for you.

The men can wear skirts without getting laughed at.

Everyone loves the English and will treat you warmly.

You may get to learn about the two small skirmishes where the Scots army got lucky.

Scots have invented a lot of things.

Unlike the English the Scots do know the difference between England and Britain.

That should get things started
    The national snack is deep fried, usually Mars bars
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Oh come on Ewan there were only two times the Scots got lucky, the one with the Bridge and the one with the Bog both times they were playing at home and they defeated the snobby Knights on the horses once it was left to the real English using those Welsh bows they didn't win again until the English started to use those nasty musket thingys.
    I think that you will also find that Wallace whupped the English all the way to York, that wasn't a bit of Braveheart mythology. Bruce also had victories amongst his many defeats. If you include the Jacobite rebellions, then the 45 saw Highlanders in Derby and King George prepared to depart for Germany before they decided that they were okay fighting for Scotland, but they weren't so keen on fighting over England. Culloden was the only Hannover victory on the battlefield. But then again, the Jacobite rebellions were a bit more complicated than the average Scotland - England match at Murrayfield.

But the Elliots, the Armstrongs and the, er, Scotts, were pretty good at terrorising the English Marches whether there was a war on or not :-)
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Will I need a new CRB or will I still be covered by my current certificate, and will I need to register with the Scottish SA?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    David Hind
    ACSL, 10th Dumfriesshire

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    There is no "Scottish SA", when/if you take an appointment you just become a member in Scotland as opposed to England.

Depending on role you will be required to undertake a PVG check which is the Scottish Equivalent of CRB.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I think that you will also find that Wallace whupped the English all the way to York, that wasn't a bit of Braveheart mythology. Bruce also had victories amongst his many defeats. If you include the Jacobite rebellions, then the 45 saw Highlanders in Derby and King George prepared to depart for Germany before they decided that they were okay fighting for Scotland, but they weren't so keen on fighting over England. Culloden was the only Hannover victory on the battlefield. But then again, the Jacobite rebellions were a bit more complicated than the average Scotland - England match at Murrayfield.

But the Elliots, the Armstrongs and the, er, Scotts, were pretty good at terrorising the English Marches whether there was a war on or not :-)
    Wallace was covered in The One With the Bridge (although I think it was Alan Murray who must have lead the pikes forward Wallace seems to have let them stand and take it).

Bruce was covered by The One with the Bog.

The Jacobites were covered by the bit about English using Muskets, and were just the last throws of the British wars against the Stuarts.

Boarder Reavers do not count as they were as likely to raid Scots as English, fought amongst themselves more than anyone else and got on just as well with the English reavers as with each other.

History lesson aside the Scouts seem nice and have the same need for leaders as everyone else.
    Last edited by Tony Ransley; 12-06-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1812 View Post
    Are there any major differences or advantages/disadvantages of scouting in Scotland as apposed to England
    Midges
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    I get the impression that some English groups are the same size as some Scottish districts.

Where about in Scotland are you moving too?

Scott

Thanks
    Dumfries

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
    David Hind
    ACSL, 10th Dumfriesshire

Thanks
    Dumfries, nice. Midges are less of an issue there. My wife is from Dumfries and it is a friendly place. I used to know the Area Commissioner there, many years ago. Her husband was the SL there when we started Scouting 18/19 years ago. Sadly he passed away last year.
    Ewan Scott