Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSJ Japan 2015

Thanks

WSJ Japan 2015

How are others finding the interest for the Jamboree in 2015? Our county is currently doing a series of workshops prior to a selection camp in September. The DESC, ADC Scouts and myself have been busying round the district trying to publicise the event and get YP to come along, at least to find out about the event with no commitment as yet.

I think in our district we have 14 who have, or intend to, attend a workshop. However, some troops/unit leaders have been welcoming to the idea and some have been downright hostile (I think they are concerned it may take their best members away for training camps/fund raising for the next two years, or are not willing to throw in the group with fund raising). So we have 6 from one troop and a scattering of others and unsurprisingly none from the negative leaders.

Me personally ? I am very much in two minds, as a parent of a 12yo who is dead keen and as DC I should be really keen also. But two issues stick in mind.

Firstly the massive fund raising effort required. We can do it as a district or cluster group and I'll probably get the selected few together to consider forming a collective, but with 6 attendees you can do a massive event, raise 1000, and only get 150 each, so you' have to do 20 of those

Secondly, not everyone loves it (despite what they might say in feedback or even to their parents and leaders). Two examples, one a scout who in 1991 when to Korea when I was his SL. He came back full of it at the time. However I met him 3 years ago at the old group centennial and he said then that he'd hated it, too far away, massive queues, HoHo with a family who did't speak a word of English or vice versa, hot, insects. He just hadn't dared tell anyone until years after because he felt massively guilty about the effort put in to send him. Secondly, Sweden, quite a few who went from mine (and adjacent) districts weren't over the moon - didn't meet expectations, too spiritual, few activities, and those there were, were nothing that they hadn't done before - except for the human Ferris wheel which had ~4 hour queues and not worth it. OTOH I've had plenty of Scouts/Explorers who do seem to have loved other jamborees and I know that every one is different.

No real question - just some thoughts !

Thanks
    I've an Explorer who went who thought it was marvellous.

I'm in two minds about it but will plug it the best I can (and use my Explorer to help)

I'll write more later though!

Barney

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    I never went as a participant because my Group, good though it was, never got involved in District stuff so I didn't get offered the chance. So I do think it's important the message gets out even if YP choose not to be involved.

Neil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    We have heard absolutely nothing about this from our District.
    Should we have heard by now?

Thanks
    We've done a presentation in each district in our county. Had 31 young people take forms on Wednesday night... We have 7 districts, 27 places- selection may be hard!
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Welborn View Post
    We have heard absolutely nothing about this from our District.
    Should we have heard by now?
    Very probably.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    I haven't heard anything about from my county.

I do though remember being a Scout when they were looking for scouts to go to the WSJ in Australia, our group said they would send one Scout but to decide who went they would have a competition and the winner could go. Well as soon as the GSL's son said he wanted to go, the rest of us gave up as we knew he'd be picked and amazingly he won and was picked, after that there wasn't much interest from the Scouts.

I will mention it to my Scouts, but to be honest of all of them I can't really see any of them being interested though. If by surprise someone is keen, I am happy to get behind them and get some fundraising done for them.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FarWest View Post
    I haven't heard anything about from my county.
    It's done at Wales level. They've just selected the leaders; the participant application process will be in September with the selection camp being held around late November/early December I believe.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Heard nothing from West Yorkshire as yet.After been on the last two fundraising committee for Jambo and seeing the participants leave scouting do I want to get involved again?

SL
    Thanks
    Not heard a peep from district or county(area) here either.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    It's done at Wales level. They've just selected the leaders; the participant application process will be in September with the selection camp being held around late November/early December I believe.
    That's good to know. If they're planning selection events etc. next term though they need to let us know ASAP so dates can be incorporated into our (currently tentative) autumn term plans.
    SL - 2nd Aberaeron Sea Scouts

Thanks
    I think my County are still looking for the Contingent Leaders. No info about participants at all yet.

I'll punt it out to as many Scouts/Explorers as I can.

Last time (Sweden) we did have one County presentation but they couldn't answer any of the questions people had and put off the only keen one I had by giving them (what turned out to be ) wrong information.

We didn't hear anything about it after that one presentation, we weren't even informed about the County selection day (only found out about it after it had happened).

Hopefully things will be better this time round.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

nele
    Thanks
    We have loads of young people interested. Last time we sent 5, and one of our leaders went at a unit leader. Previous time 4 and our GSL was on the IST. So the young people have heard a lot about it. I gather there will only be 2 places for the whole district for Japan (Benelux & Scandinavia). So the selection process won't be easy. At the moment they are still looking for adults, so we don't even know when selection will start.

Our district has a fund which is raised from a levy on the district camp, so that pays part of the fees. Our group usually pays a third of the cost, which comes from fundraising in between jamborees, and then Explorers/participants do fundraising too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I think my County are still looking for the Contingent Leaders. No info about participants at all yet.
    If your county is Bucks (I don't know where you are) you'd be correct. Or if anyone else's is! The Leader/Assistant selection is this weekend, and no doubt the people who are selected (whether that ends up being me or not!) will want some input into the YP selection.

So don't panic yet! (Ask your DC if you think you've missed something, but you most probably haven't)

Neil

Thanks
    GLNE have just announced the unit leadership team, and so I assume we'll hear about selection events in due course.
    Richard Sams "Doughboy"

Thanks

District or County provision

Interesting that some areas have county allocation, and others district. In Dorset there seemed to be an allocation per district and the district selected, here in Hampshire there are 90 places for the County plus the Isle of Wight and Jersey and he selection and all organisation is at county level.