Thread: Pity the fans...

Thanks

Pity the fans...

Beloved son asked me to continue trying to get hold of Arctic Monkeys Sheffield tickets as he had to get to work.

Sold out in minutes. So he won't be happy.

'Get me in' had tickets at THREE times face value at three minutes past the start of sales.

Just looked at stub hub and a pair of standing tickets is up for sale at SIX HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN POUNDS EACH!!!!

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    The promoters could solve that straight away by having names on tickets and requiring ID. But they won't do it, because it would for example require them to provide an infrastructure for returning tickets and a refund less admin fee, otherwise they would go wasted and fewer people would see an event. Touts provide them a useful if rather immoral service, and it's easier than doing it themselves.

Neil

Thanks
    I'm not against trade in tickets, you do get a situation where you can't go, but to trough at the ticket sales just to make a bob or two is out of order.

This is touting on an industrial scale.

Personally - I've seen th'arctics once and that'll do me for now!

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    It does seem to have got much worse in the last 10-15 years, I'm assuming touts pay some cheap labour somewhere to sit on their PCs and fire off an order on the stroke of sale time. Or they've got some sort of auto buying robots or something. That, and with t'internet, it's easy for any old scrote to be a ticket tout for popular events, they don't even have to stand outside the venue shouting "buy or sell any tickets".

All a bit rubbish really.

I don't really like these enormous venues either, I would like to see the Arctic Monkeys, but I wouldn't like to go to Earls Court to see them, horribly huge venue (Prince, early 90s). Bands seem to get so big so quick these days, that your only chance to see them at a decent size venue, say, Brixton Academy (4000 seats if memory serves), is when they've not got enough songs to do more than about an hour.

When I were a lad, mostly the bands we liked weren't big enough to do Wembley Arena, so would to 2 nights at Brixton instead, or Brixton was cooler, and Wembley was for sell outs. Who knows? Never had that much trouble getting tickets either, you rang up at the appointed time, waited in the phone queue, bought your tickets. Rarely did you have to do the ring-a-round of the ticket merchants.

Maybe we just liked bands not many others did. Once drove all the way to Cambridge to see a band in a pub back room, and to stay with some friends that lived up there, and the tickets that came to us were hand written out of a receipt book. Bless.

Not sure what the answer is though. The promoters don't really care, they've sold all their tickets, the venue won't care, they'll be paid by the promoter for the venue hire, the bands? Well, they'll say they care, but if the venue is full, do they really?

In your specific case, I'd guess the 2nd hand ticket price would come down a bit after the initial rush, and the "oh my god they've sold out I *need* to get a ticket so I *need* to pay three times face value" has died down.

Ian
    Last edited by ianw; 05-07-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    For 618, you could but the cd of evey damn rock band you ever heard of. Hope the jerk thats selling them gets stuck with them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Puts the cost of scouting in perspective

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Maybe we should start touting 'tickets' to camps with a huge mark up to our Scouts after the closing date

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    It should be the same as Glasto...

Register with ticket selling site before buying any tickets, and then from each site the tickets you buy would be linked with photo on the ticket and your name.....problem solved. Yes you would have problems in case that you would not be able to go but it would stop people buying tickets to resell at inflated value.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Maybe we should start touting 'tickets' to camps with a huge mark up to our Scouts after the closing date
    Hee hee. On a more sensible level we are thinking of doing an early booking discount to stop everyone booking the week before an event, though.

(I am unlike some genuinely happy to take late-ish bookings as long as there's a good reason and as long as it isn't everyone!)

Neil