Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Tent Pegs - 'Near miss'

Thanks

Aluminium Tent Pegs - 'Near miss'

At the weekend we used a number of new tents, some made by Vaude and some by Wild Country. They have all been supplied with aluminium pegs with 'unfinished' tops, i.e. not rounded. Early on Saturday one of the Scouts (my son!) tripped and his hand landed on one of these pegs, he suffered a small cut and it could have been worse. Over the weekend a couple of Scouts trod on the pegs when not wearing shoes (despite my warnings about them and the need to wear shoes).

The pegs will all be changed before the tents are used again. I guess I could/should have spotted the hazard in advance, as someone who works in construction where 'near miss' reporting is a key part of our H&S culture I thought I would share my experience here (and with the manufacturers).

Thanks
    It's good that you are warning others, but I guess my take is that if the Scouts had have been doing what they should have, and indeed, what you told them to do, which is put their shoes on, then I guess nothing would have happened - so essentially it's down to them if they hurt themselves.

I guess your son was unlucky and it's a good job he didn't 'trip' in the chopping area where there are really sharp things or in the kitchen area where a hot pan could have been on a gas ring.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_H View Post
    At the weekend we used a number of new tents, some made by Vaude and some by Wild Country. They have all been supplied with aluminium pegs with 'unfinished' tops, i.e. not rounded. etc
    Suggest you submit details via: http://members.scouts.org.uk/nearmiss

Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulArthurs View Post
    Suggest you submit details via: http://members.scouts.org.uk/nearmiss

Paul
    Thanks, I was about to look for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Am I missing something here?

Seriously, since tents were invented, tent pegs have been a hazard.

I am not belittling your concern. But is this not like someone hitting their thumb with a hammer when driving home a nail, saying that hammers should be softer?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    The tops of the pegs are sharp, if he had landed heavily it could have punctured his hand. The pegs are as supplied with the tents. A conventional peg with a rounded top would still hurt but that would be about it.

Thanks
    Picture of these pegs would be useful/interesting

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    The tops of the pegs are sharp, if he had landed heavily it could have punctured his hand. The pegs are as supplied with the tents. A conventional peg with a rounded top would still hurt but that would be about it.
    I'm aware of these pegs, I have them on my tent, if they are the ones I think they are. If they rounded the top they would still be "sharp". There are some things we cannot account for.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Risk Assessment - pegs supplied too sharp, replace with round pegs. Send letter to manufacturer
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Teach kids to stay away from tent pegs........ No...
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    "These are tent pegs. They are sharp on the top. You will be able to see them, they are attached to a tent usually by brightly coloured guy lines! There is no need to go near them once the tent is erected."

Risk Assessed!

Probably not helpful again
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post
    "These are tent pegs. They are sharp on the top. You will be able to see them, they are attached to a tent usually by brightly coloured guy lines! There is no need to go near them once the tent is erected."

Risk Assessed!

Probably not helpful again

If they're the "bent sheet aluminium" type I'd bin them and replace with proper wire-type skewers anyway. I can't stand that type.

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post

If they're the "bent sheet aluminium" type I'd bin them and replace with proper wire-type skewers anyway. I can't stand that type.

Neil
    Yeh me too!! but that doesn't make for interesting reading hahaha
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    They have all been supplied with aluminium pegs with 'unfinished' tops, i.e. not rounded.
    This is the critical piece of information, they are exceptional/different. If you were to give a Scout who until now has been using a single sided crook knife a double sided one they would most probably cut themselves even with a WARNING! Also what harm is there in making people aware? Yes tripping in a sharps area is a greater risk but we are aware of the risk it is a sharp area extra care etc, it is the difference in the new tent pegs and the associated risk that Steve_H is merely, politely and generously drawing our attention too.

Once again the generosity and gracious nature of escouts members is shown.

Thanks for the notice Steve_H.
    Responsible parents used to world-proof their kids. Now, some shirk this and try to child-proof the world...from Povarian BC-UK forum

As I seem to be creating controversy, these ramblings are all escaping from my contorted brain and do not reflect my groups opinions yada..yada....yada......

Thanks
    Last camp we told our lot "don't run between tents or you will trip over guy lines" which of course they did!
    With regards to tent pegs I suspect we take them for granted especially those who are seasoned campers but I think Steve's post serves as a useful reminder of what could happen....
    One of the biggest causes of accidents is complacency. Steve has IMHO highlighted a "near miss" and something that is useful to learn from 'cos I bet some of you will be having a look at your tent pegs...............
    Bill S
    Scout Leader

2nd Denton & South Heighton (Ralph Reader's Own)