Thread: First 'Official' Night

Thanks

Question First 'Official' Night

Hi Guys,

When the new term starts i have been informed that my scout leader will be on holiday!!

I am the ASL and have only been in the role for a few weeks and so far havent seen a 'normal' troop evening apart from a brief meeting for WS2013. They carried out flag break but to my untrained eye it all seemed a bit informal. This isnt a slight on my SL who has been in the role for three years, merely an observation on how i remeber my time as a scout back in the early eighties. Do flag breaks vary considerably between troops? I would like to see a bit more formality and discipline during flag break but i dont want to tread on anyones toes as obviously this is how they have always done things. Do you think i would be right to try and make some changes or i am stepping out of place?

Also during the first night i will be running the evening and haven't got the foggiest how to approach it as i am not familiar to a lot of the kids and am worried i will be walked all over. I have skills in team work and leadership but that is from my background as a construction site manager and i have a feeling it is a mighty easier dealing with construction workers than a group of Scouts. Can anyone give me any tips?

As this will be my night of running things it should be a good opportunity to get my TA around for validation of modules, i have yet to complete my getting started so presumably this night will help to validate modules 1 & 3, but will it help as validation for any other modules.

Sorry for waffling on but i thought i would get this all in one thread rather than spread it around so i have one other thing and that is that traditionally the first evening is a games night Do any of you have any good ideas to help me on my way? I have been doing a bit of homework and have a few ideas but i want to make sure i'm heading in the right direction.

Any pointers from you more experienced leaders is as always much appreciated.

Cheers

Justin.

Thanks
    I would say that if you have been left to run the evening then run it any way you want to (but make sure you have at least one other adult present). If you want to do their usual flagbreak then find out which the most senior Scout present is and get him/her to run it. Alternatively, say you were a Scout in the early 80s and that you want to show them how you did flag break then. They will probably have a game that they like playing, let them organise that (my troop's favourite is corner hockey). Is there an activity you could plan based on your construction experience, building a bridge between tables using drinking straws type of thing? Alternatively is there more stuff from your time in scouts that you could interest them with? As to TA being present, I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Your TA should validate on evidence, not by watching you. If a TA turned up at one of my meetings, they'd get given a job to do.
    Make a plan for the evening and write it down - add some extra stuff so you don't run out. Add plan to your evidence file for validation.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    If your TA is attending have them help you out as Don says. You don't need someone butting and distracting you.

I would suggest you have another leader from the group or the GSL along to help you. You plan the night and you run it though. Get the other leader to provide evidence for your TA.

First week back run and extra game atry and do something fun like cooking if you feel up to it.
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    Okay, thanks for the tips guys.

I must be completely misunderstanding the validation process. So for instance in Module 3, one of the items to complete is - "Plan & run a ceremony appropriate to the section",so if i take flag break as an example, the TA will not be looking to be present at that ceremony, merely see evidence in my file of my planning process and possibly validation of my running it from my SL or another wood badge holder.

SL/TR/LTM
    Thanks
    Depends on the TA some will talk to you about it some with ask for witness statements from others who saw you run it, some will observe. There are loads of different ways to validate something. Should all be in your adult learning file which can be download in pdf if you have not been given a hard copy.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that when I did Getting Started that the validation was done with exercises they gave us on the training day - do a risk assessment of the building we were using, draw a structure diagram of our district, etc. On the other hand I remember doing a Greek cooking night to validate International - my TA wasn't there but there was no question that I had done it.

Thanks
    I am going a bit off topic but going on to 'Getting Started', I have attended the training courses for modules 1 & 3 and recieved the certificate from the LTM. As far as validation for this what might be required ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.s View Post
    I am going a bit off topic but going on to 'Getting Started', I have attended the training courses for modules 1 & 3 and recieved the certificate from the LTM. As far as validation for this what might be required ?
    The first thing to do would be to logon to the scouts.org.uk website and see if they have been marked as validated. Go to scouts.org.uk click 'Member's Area' then click 'Sign in'. If you haven't used it before click 'Register now!' and enter your info - you will need your membership number (which you have to pad up with one or more leading zeros if it isn't long enough for the registration page) then I think you get an auto email with a confirmation link to follow. Once logged in click on 'My Details' followed by 'Training'.

Thanks
    I am all signed up to Scout Base but it shows 0% for training, presumably as nothing has been validated.

Thanks
    I am all signed up to Scout Base but it shows 0% for training, presumably as nothing has been validated.
    Have you agreed your training plan with your TA? It should show on there which training modules you need to do, the type of training you are doing for the necessary modules and if they have been validated. You won't need to do training for all modules if you have relevent experience - this will be agreed in your training plan. For example I would expect that you don't need to do working with adults.

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I am yet to meet up with my training advisor. What is the average time it takes them to get I. Contact ?

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I am yet to meet up with my training advisor. What is the average time it takes them to get I. Contact ?
    This is organised through your district, so it is very much down to local circumstances. If you don't know who your TA is then contact your Local Training Manager. When you have contact details for your TA contact him/her and arrange a meeting to draw up your training plan. When you know which modules you need to train on you can find out courses that are available and book yourself onto them (for me this was through my county). You can usually train on several modules in one day. You can also do some modules online, or use other methods (eg. 1 to 1 with your GSL) but agree which method you are using for each module with your TA.

Thanks
    First night back our scouts can be lively so good planning is important so you don't get disruption. I think it is great that you'd like flag break more formal - ours can be a bit haphazard if we are going out and all of our leaders are relatively new to scouting (<5 yrs) so some of us would be grateful for an ask that knew the ropes re your TA meet up first. Mine is great and has come down to validate but also got stuck in helping. Good luck with it. S
    GSL 1st/7th Whitley Bay Sea Scouts