Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marquee Hire

Thanks

Marquee Hire

Our group has a a big stop style marquee measuring 12m x 8m.

We're looking at hiring it out to raise a few quid (although we need to get our public liability insurance sorted first)

Does anyone else do this? If so what sort of price do you charge?

It's in reasonable condition, the odd grubby stain here and there and the standard smell of canvas tent (so I don't think we're looking at the wedding market here!) and we were thinking of offering two different prices, one to justhave it for so much per night and a higher price to include us putting it up and taking it down.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Would you not be covered by TSA's usual public liability insurance? Certainly worth asking Unity the question at any rate. At the same time I would check your equipment insurance to ensure that the marquee would be covered by your insurance as you do not want to have a marquee lost, damaged or stolen and not be able to claim on your insurance for a replacement.

Given the likeliest time for any tent to get damaged is when putting it up and taking it down I would not offer anyone the option of pitching it themselves unless you were very confident they had the ability and manpower to do so safely and without risk of damaging the tent. Of course such a stance will limit the amount of time you will be able to hire the marquee as you will need to be able to provide the manpower to pitch it.

So I would charge the hire with a compulsory set up and take down fee and then a per day hire fee on top of that

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    We have a marquee approx that size that we hire out for 250 for the weekend. We also ask for a deposit in case of damage etc. We always have a team to erect and take down.
    Things to think about:
    insurance
    getting a team of volunteers together for erecting and striking (good opportunity to get parents involved)
    space to dry the canvas after the event
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanks both

Insurance - we've spoken to Unity and our current public liability would cover us in the event of a scout run event with the public present and the marquee falls on someone's head, that comes as standard. What doesn't is any liability for hiring out equipment which then falls on someone's head, we need to sort that out seperately.

250 sounds good to me!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Definitely have a trained team to take it up and down, otherwise your marquee might not last long.

To give some comparison, a commercial marquee company charge us about 1100 for a weekend for a 54ft x 25ft. It's fairly good quality.

Don't sell yourselves short.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    will share this with our exec committee as i'm pretty sure we charge just 50 for a weekend and we put it up and take it down. Always thought that was a bit cheap!!
    Jamie 'Rafiki' ESL, Oculus part of Stowmarket Dragons at 1st Eye Scout Group
    www.eye.suffolkscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    does anyone have any forms that use alongside these hires? Looking to do the same but don't want to re-invent the time (or have time!!!).

Thanks

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyLearner View Post
    will share this with our exec committee as i'm pretty sure we charge just 50 for a weekend and we put it up and take it down. Always thought that was a bit cheap!!
    That is a lot cheap! Its not even really worth the volunteer effort involved for just 50.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by not-so View Post
    does anyone have any forms that use alongside these hires? Looking to do the same but don't want to re-invent the time (or have time!!!).

Thanks
    We have a 30ft x 20ft (about 9m x 6m) marquee which we hire out for 200 over a weekend. We do charge a deposit when the booking is made I believe. We also have a team who erect and dismantle the marquee.

We also have separate insurance for the marquee which covers public liability, fire and theft.

not-so we have some forms that we use alongside it which can be found here http://www.westsussexscouts.org.uk/fhs/index.aspx. I need to get the dimensions updated on the website! I hope this helps.

Thanks
    204 erected and dismantled fpr a weekend hire.
    Can't find the details if its longer but most likely a further 204 for up to a week.
    Then we add VAT for non scout/ commercial hires
    No VAT for scout hires
    The hirer has to provide adequate insurance for the duration of the hire but we also offer a damage waiver of 5% to cover with our own insurance
    Then on top of all that we charge for transport. (including mileage rate/ hire of vehicle)

Just to clarify, we have a stock of different sized marquees at SHQ that are available for hire hence the VAT and the mention of transport.

Its most likely that your 12m x 8m (more likely 40' x 20' if its a traditional marquee) will fit in a trailer but I'd be surprised if you'd get it in a car.

As for documentation

We have a method statement, risk assessment, certificate of flame resisitance and insurance docs for vehicle hire.
    We will have insurance cover & public liability but don't know whether or not its anything in excess of what Unity already provide. I'd need to check.
    Snab

Scottish Scout Active Support Unit Manager

Thanks
    Cheers for all the thoughts chaps.

In terms of transport last time we moved it anywhere we stripped the seats out of a 7 seater and got everything except the two main up rights in the back, they got strapped to the roof rack.

Cant see our turnover ever being big enough to worry about VAT!

Thanks
    Some local competition in case you had not checked.

http://www.50thcambridgescouts.org/marquee/prices.html

http://www.26thcambridgescouts.org/marquee.html

I know some of the village groups also have marquues, Bottisham IIRC for one.
    Last edited by Hathi_Cambridge; 28-08-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Speelling

Thanks
    Snab - I'm intrigued about adding VAT for certain groups. Do you then pass that VAT onto HMRC?

I thought you had to be VAT registered to do input/output calculations and returns.

Barney

Thanks
    Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyLearner View Post
    for 50, i reckon the volunteers would far rather chuck in a fiver each and not have to give up hours of their time.

Thanks
    Agree with Big Chris - there are a lot of small money fundraising ideas that are not worth the time and effort to do

Barney