Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AGM Report

Thanks

AGM Report

Hi all

Not been on here for ages for some reason

As I am currently Acting BSL in my group I have been asked by my GSL (yes, things have changed since I was last here ) to prepare a report for the section for our AGM in a couple of weeks time. She has given me some ideas as to what needs to be in it - things like badge work completed & any CSA's awarded, how numbers have been, what activities we have been doing outside of a "normal" Tuesday evening meeting, need for more adult help - I am still not entirely sure how to go about this. Does anybody have a copy of a similar report they have used that they would be willing to share with me? If so please e-mail me at [email protected] (mod note: I am fine for the e-mail address to remain here as shown)

Many Thanks in advance of any help given
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Acting Beaver Scout Leader
    Assistant Scout Leader
    28th Portsmouth Scout Group
    City of Portsmouth Scout Active Support Unit Member
    Portsmouth Scout Archery Club Member

http://28thportsmouthscoutgroup.co.uk

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/ca...outhscoutgroup

Thanks
    Showing you a copy would not really help. With our Cubs one keep it to 2-3 minutes. I use headings

1. activities
    2. Trips away
    3. Badges awarded - categories ie. promise challenge , book reader etc etc
    4. Thank your Leaders
    5. summary of how you think things are going

That should help
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to roger-uk For This Useful Post:

Bagheera28 (02-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Keep it short. Use lots of images. Do not give a blow by blow account of the year.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

Bagheera28 (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Agree - keep it short. This year our committee asked that the YP delivered the report - most of the cubs had forgotten what we had done during the year so it was a very short report.
    Oh, and remember who your audience is - parents are more aware of the things we do outside of a standard pack meeting night as they either have to drop the cubs somewhere different or pay for it. They will probably be more interested in what goes on between dropping off and picking up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy 500 For This Useful Post:

Bagheera28 (03-10-2013)

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera28 View Post
    Hi all

Not been on here for ages for some reason

been on holiday? somewhere nice? hong kong? monte carlo? dubai? oldham?

As I am currently Acting BSL in my group I have been asked by my GSL (yes, things have changed since I was last here ) to prepare a report for the section for our AGM in a couple of weeks time. She has given me some ideas as to what needs to be in it - things like badge work completed & any CSA's awarded, how numbers have been, what activities we have been doing outside of a "normal" Tuesday evening meeting, need for more adult help - I am still not entirely sure how to go about this. Does anybody have a copy of a similar report they have used that they would be willing to share with me? If so please e-mail me at [email protected] (mod note: I am fine for the e-mail address to remain here as shown)

Many Thanks in advance of any help given
    just go about it as your GSL suggests!

roger gave you the basics that are seen in most section reports at AGMs. the one thing i would add would be 'highlights'; don't, as Ewan says, recount the year in full.

what time limit has your GSL given you? it's important to find that out! if it's 2-3 minutes then a verbal report by you maybe backed by some images which highlight what you did will likely suffice. i would not go through and list every badge progamme you did or badges awarded. a simple 'we awarded 500 activity badges this year' or some such like will give a picture of how 'busy' you've been on the badge front. if you do mention badges then i suggest you keep to notable awards such as bronze awards and maybe notable programme activities linked to an award. if you have been allocated more time then it's a good idea to get the kids involved if possible. i don't wish to be personal but 10 minutes of you talking is possibly not going to excite the parents (just as 5 minutes of me talking to parents would incite a riot!) you might do a short musical number from a programme you did? or you could have yp say a few things about how they enjoyed certain activities? be mindful that other sections will have similar time slots and you must not over-run into their time.

It's important to use this opportunity to thank your fellow leaders and parents who have supported you, but simple thanks will suffice and no need to go OTT (unless there's a special occasion for a leader or some such like). do not give an oscar style thank you speech!

finish maybe with a little look to the future such as big programmes on the schedule for next year, or how big you want the colony to grow, or where you think the colony will be in a year's time, or some such like. do not give them the grand plan for next year!

absolute no-nos are: talking for too long, trying to be too funny, going off course into long anecdotes, having a go at people/parents, reading word-for-word from a published report that parents can read themselves or reading from a projection, talking in monotone, going off topic (talk beavers not scouts!), being too opinionated, using inappropriate language.....(i'm sure i don't need to teach you how to suck eggs! )

absolute yes-yes are: using cue cards to keep you on track, looking good, smiling, being lightly humorous (but don't over-do it), making sure those at the back can hear you and those at the front don't need ear defenders....and remember your audience! if they're all parents you don't need to talk to them in the same way you talk to your yp, and vv.

you'll be fine.

regards, TM

(now someone's sent me an e-mail on the subject of AGMs and 1FB. i need to grab son's long-on.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to merryweather For This Useful Post:

Bagheera28 (03-10-2013)

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    don't, as Ewan says, recount the year in full.
    You know where you should have gone or is it just the way it's written?
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    Be positive about what you have done and what you are looking to do next year!

Don't recruit - save that for the chat afterwards

Don't forget to praise your Beavers - it's been the best year etc... Get the parents on your side for that chat...

Barney

Group Scout Leader
    Thanks
    I've just sent you a copy of our Group's annual report.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsallwizard View Post
    You know where you should have gone or is it just the way it's written?
    It's the way you read it.
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    Copies of ours for each section are on the web site.
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Yellow Beaver For This Useful Post:

Bagheera28 (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    We do a short written report to be kept on record. It lists the number of badges awarded, number of kids, number of leaders, nights away, and major events.

For the actual AGM, I put together a video compilation (images and video clips of the year, highlights, key stats, etc set to music) which is what we play to the parents rather than each leader standing up and reading out a report and putting them to sleep. The video lasts about 5 minutes and then goes up on the website afterwards.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

17. The Following User Says Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

Bagheera28 (03-10-2013)

Thanks
    We do a short written report for each section. With 9 sections it would be a bit dull reading these all out, so they are available beforehand on our website (this year's report is on http://www.grovescouts.co.uk/). Some printed copies are available on the day. This year we only had 2 parents attend who weren't already volunteering as leaders, exec members, fund raisers etc. I do wonder what the point is sometimes...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satkin55 View Post
    We do a short written report for each section. With 9 sections it would be a bit dull reading these all out, so they are available beforehand on our website (this year's report is on http://www.grovescouts.co.uk/). Some printed copies are available on the day. This year we only had 2 parents attend who weren't already volunteering as leaders, exec members, fund raisers etc. I do wonder what the point is sometimes...
    You have nine sections, and you get just two non-Leaders at the AGM? That makes my turn out look good. (Five sections and two parents)
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    We have around 170 yp using the hut each week (including all guiding sections)
    For the AGM we get around 50-60 parents. Reports are printed and put out on the chairs and each section puts on an entertainment involving as many of the YP as possible.
    The required spoken reports are kept as short as possible and the whole event (including a break for tea and coffee) takes less than an hour.
    Fiona
    BSL - Astwood Bank Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    And I thought our turn out of parents for the AGM was low at around 20 but it seems that is actually good compared to some

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with