Thread: Conclusion - parents do read emails

Thanks

Conclusion - parents do read emails

Now there has been a lot of talk on various threads of late along the lines of communicating and whether parents actually read emails that go out.

Events (something wrong with the electrics in our HQ) mean I have been forced to cancel scouts tonight. I sent the email to parents telling them this at about 9pm last night. In it I said "As I know that many scouts make their own way to the HQ I'd be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this email". By 9am this morning I'd had replies from the parents of 32 out of 38 young people. Of the 6 with nothing back yet 2 are on a school trip and were not due to be coming anyway and 2 are the children of a nurse who works nights so probably hasn't looked at it yet anyway.

The conclusion I've reached is that yes, parents do pick up and read emails really quite quickly. An interesting thought next time we are asking for subs, camp permission forms and volunteers.....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,986 Posts
    I've tried asking for an acknowledgement of receipt, but rarely get any.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Now there has been a lot of talk on various threads of late along the lines of communicating and whether parents actually read emails that go out.

Events (something wrong with the electrics in our HQ) mean I have been forced to cancel scouts tonight. I sent the email to parents telling them this at about 9pm last night. In it I said "As I know that many scouts make their own way to the HQ I'd be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this email". By 9am this morning I'd had replies from the parents of 32 out of 38 young people. Of the 6 with nothing back yet 2 are on a school trip and were not due to be coming anyway and 2 are the children of a nurse who works nights so probably hasn't looked at it yet anyway.

The conclusion I've reached is that yes, parents do pick up and read emails really quite quickly. An interesting thought next time we are asking for subs, camp permission forms and volunteers.....
    It;s an interesting one. Whenever i've cancelled a meeting (the last one was due to severe snow... the Cubs could probably have got to the hall but I was sat in an emergency control room til 4am) i've used text

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    We had a Scout event a couple of weeks ago, where I had to change the venue last minute, I sent a text explaining and just put RSVP as it was the evening before the event. I naturally thought I wasn't going to get all reply, but I had a reply from every parent within two hours and some even emailed too knowing that I usually email notifications. All the parents are good at replying in our group which does surprise me, but then they know I'll happily apply the 'no reply, no go' rule. It's quite quick and easy to send off a email & text in a couple of minutes. But I'm sure it does vary group to group.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 982 Posts
    Whenever i have had to alter plans at less than 24 hours notice I have always resorted to texting all the Explorers and parents I have mobile numbers for (which generally covers all the Explorers between them). I do email as well but at least with a text I know they have actually had some notice that there is a message for them with emails there is nothing to say they check them regularly enough in order to get the message.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I used texting for Summer Camp messages to parents, and asked for an acknowledgement to be sent for the first one, sent the day before we left - a simple "Please reply with your child's first name to confirm receipt". Only one didn't reply, and that's because I had a couple of digits swapped round in the 'phones memory. The acknowledgements meant that the error could be fixed before we left
    MatSav

GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,418 Posts
    The one thing that does surprise me is how many people don't check their emails every day. My day job is very email-based... its the main way that I communicate with my team. I have a work blackberry so work emails come through to me wherever I am. I have a personal smartphone so personal and scouting emails also come through to me wherever I am... I usually see any email within a few minutes (or at worst hours) of it being sent, and respond quickly if requierd.

However, I know that for people who don't work in an "office" type environment, emails dont necessarily get checked during the day - particularly if they dont have a smart phone, or work in an environment where they can't check it during work time (e.g. a supermarket checkout or a school)

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Something that has to be read instantly (i.e cancellation/change to that night's arrangements) goes via group text. If it is in advance and needs more reading/attachments then it goes via mail chimp (sometimes follow up with a read your email text). If it is to a smaller group (i.e. particular event attendees), I would generally use email and possibly again notify via text.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    I go back to my favourite method of facebook - the Beaver section which insists all parents either become members, or keep in touch with someone who does. All notices, forms, changes, information go up on their page and there appears to be pretty much 100% coverage because all the parents know to check the page, or check with another parent who has FB before they head out to Beavers.

eMails are harder - they do change, parents can claim to lose them, some YP are at one parent or another and you need to track two emails. We use both FB adn email for district comms.

Thanks
    Is this era of smart phones - it should get easier (he says
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Senior Member silverhairedbeaver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Risingstar how do you regularly make sure that the people on FB are all connected to Beavers? Is this done via a closed group which the members are routinely gone through and kicked out if their child has moved on to Cubs or left? Or is it done via a FB page which is open to everyone and anyone?

Am interested to know as am thinking of setting up a Closed group on FB for my Colony but wuld like to know how it works for others.
    Colin Cooke

Makes you wonder if it is all worth it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhairedbeaver View Post
    Risingstar how do you regularly make sure that the people on FB are all connected to Beavers? Is this done via a closed group which the members are routinely gone through and kicked out if their child has moved on to Cubs or left? Or is it done via a FB page which is open to everyone and anyone?

Am interested to know as am thinking of setting up a Closed group on FB for my Colony but wuld like to know how it works for others.
    It's a closed FB page, as you say when children leave their associated membership is removed from the group. It's also used for photos and updates during events (it seems to help parents if they can see Jocasta and Johnny enjoying themselves through an overnight activity!).