Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we have a wiki?

Thanks

Can we have a wiki?

As per title, can we have a wiki? I suggested it a thread (which has received several thanks) with the idea that it could be used to maintain an index of factsheets. In addition we could generate our own (backwoods cooking and the like). I have done some googling and found this one which has a free lite version or quite low cost commercial version with extra features: https://www.vaultwiki.org/

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Don't need one we got
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsallwizard View Post
    Don't need one we got
    Go on then, show me where on escouts that I can currently start a list of factsheets which others can amend and maintain in the future.
    Last edited by Kev; 27-10-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: can't spell

Thanks
    Then again, you could always start one of your own!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Then again, you could always start one of your own!
    I could but I want it to be a collaborative effort and for escouts to own it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Of course, I think the great difficulty at the moment is tracking all the factsheets down. I know what I'm looking for and I struggle, so God save someone fresh to the fray who has no idea what to look for.

Just thought I'd check...

Member resources... For a full list of factsheets look at the online catalogue

Online Catalogue... Search for Factsheets... One page of results, four Factsheets...

Search Member Resources for Factsheets... first response DoE Factsheets 100% Second Factsheets 24% relevance...

Go to Factsheets... It leads to the Scout Shop Publications... No Factsheets.... But there is an Information Sheet under Role Descriptions....

Search for Information Sheet... result! Not! 426 publications across 36 pages all shown as Icons...

Let's try Show All... Yup, got them... I am processing, but it may take some time to remove the garbage...
    Last edited by Bushfella; 27-10-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I find the factsheets easy to find.

I want to do an activity - I click on activities, click on the activity I'm interested in and there's a list of factsheets that are relevant.

Barney

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney255 View Post
    I find the factsheets easy to find.

I want to do an activity - I click on activities, click on the activity I'm interested in and there's a list of factsheets that are relevant.

Barney
    If you know what to look for it is easy. If you don't... Better they were indexed as before.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

4thDarwin Akela (28-10-2013)

Thanks
    Hi everyone,

Over the Summer, Gavin has been working on Project GPS, a little side project that would allow the Escouts community to collectivly work on Scouting resources, based on mediawiki and be fully integrated with the forum.

This is still on our roadmap, however with events that occured last month, this has obviously been pushed back with things like restoring the Escouts badge shop taking a higher priority.

Once we have further details as to when this will be available to a test group of users we will make a further announcement.

Our list of feature requests the team have provided is long, but if you have any feature requests for this project please do reply here as they will form part of the development before we integrate with the forum.

Thanks
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    It would be better if TSA could index the factsheets better, I'm used to trawling through them but some subjects or particular reference points are obscure or its hidden in another section. The scouts.org.uk site also brings up the irrelevant or just dead links.

What I also think we need is for Escouts to devise a boxing glove that shoots our from the screen whenever someone is asking if a stupid local 'rule' is actually a rule. Some of the things people ask, you think to yourself they clearly haven't said the question out loud to themselves to hear how stupid it is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsallwizard View Post
    Don't need one we got
    I think we need BOTH Richard!

Escouts is good for getting advice and views, but it would be great to have an indexed source of data sheets and information that is up to date.

Something we haven't had since SCOUTBASE.

For the younger members here, Scoutbase was great as everything was in one place and you could pinpoint chapter and verse on most everything scouting.

It was very old tech, but it worked.

My feature would be the opportunity to annotate the information with comments or to link to discussions on Escouts - for example relating to new thinking on social media use for example.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Project GPS sounds interesting but perhaps a few months away??

I run a forum (in an entirely unrelated area to scouting) and we had a similar requirement some years ago. Our low-tech solution was to have a thread which has as the first post a collection of useful links (e.g. to the factsheets you mention). Anyone can post a response such as "please add xyz to the list" and then a moderator comes along some time later and edits the first post to add the info before deleting the requesting post.

This does rely on the moderators keeping a close eye on that particular thread or perhaps subscribing to it so they can respond quickly. It helps to be able to "sticky" the thread so that it is always visible at the top of a section and keywords are included so it is easily found via the search tool. Not sure if this would answer your requirement but perhaps food for thought...
    Martin (GSL & acting CSL)

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eskibrew View Post
    Project GPS sounds interesting but perhaps a few months away??

I run a forum (in an entirely unrelated area to scouting) and we had a similar requirement some years ago. Our low-tech solution was to have a thread which has as the first post a collection of useful links (e.g. to the factsheets you mention). Anyone can post a response such as "please add xyz to the list" and then a moderator comes along some time later and edits the first post to add the info before deleting the requesting post.

This does rely on the moderators keeping a close eye on that particular thread or perhaps subscribing to it so they can respond quickly. It helps to be able to "sticky" the thread so that it is always visible at the top of a section and keywords are included so it is easily found via the search tool. Not sure if this would answer your requirement but perhaps food for thought...
    Timescales are closer to weeks than months at current developmental pace.

G

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Magician For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (27-10-2013)

Thanks
    Here's a list of factsheets as per scoutbase: https://web.archive.org/web/20110123...acts/index.htm

Thanks
    I'd be happy to set something up if anyone would be interested in helping out.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.