Thread: Chief Scout Platinum Award

Thanks

Chief Scout Platinum Award

Help requested from more experienced Explorer leaders as part of the Platinum Award Explorers who are not doing DofE should complete the four Platinum Scout Challenges, which are:

•take up a skill for three months, and show progress and lasting interest. The skill can be an existing interest or something entirely new

•take up a physical activity for three months, completing an agreed programme of taking part and achievement

•provide service to an individual or the community for three months. Briefing and training should be given in order to gain the necessary skills. This can include helping with another section as a Young Leader

•complete a two day and one night expedition in rural country by foot, cycle, horse, canoe, boat or dinghy. The expedition should involve careful preparation, training, responsibility and review

Can the Skill and Physical activity be the same thing? Just I have an Explorer with Autism (not that that is an excuse) who has asked if Kayaking could be used for both activities as it is clearly physical and there is also skill involved. Apart from Scouting (including being a young leader) and Kayaking this Explorer doesn't have or particulary want any other hobbies/interests.

The other aspects of the award I am happy with and sure I can help the explorer acheive them. Your advise would be welcome.
    Simon Edwards
    Cub Scout Leader
    1st Blackfords Sea Scouts RN37

Thanks
    I would say no. However, a related skill could be learning to maintain the kayaking equipment, or learning to coach others in the sport (rather than just improving your own abilities, which is just part of the physical aspect).

Thanks
    I would also say no. If s/he was doing DofE as well, it is very strict about one activity not counting for two elements.

If s/he is not willing to take up a new "skill", would s/he consider working on a life skill such as cooking? An hour a week for three months would allow him/her to try out a new recipe each week and develop skills towards independant living in the future. Obviously depends on the severity of his/her autism and how much support s/he needs, but could start as basic as is appropriate (even if that is just making cheese on toast) and build up over the 12 or so weeks.

Thanks
    My understanding is they could build a kayak over the 3 months - this would be a skill. They then could use the kayak for 3 months - this would be their physical.

Barney

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    You can't use the same activity for both the skill and physical activity sections even if you do the activity for twice as long as required for each section individually.

As these sections are basically actually the same as the D of E sections I suggest you have a look at the d of E website where they have a massive list of possible activities for each section of the award. http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/d...ties-sections/

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    agree with others here, you cannot use the same activity to count for two or more sections of the award. the idea of the award (and equivalent DofE) is for the candidate to experience a breadth of experiences from activities across the spectrum, not just in one activity.

barney is correct in saying they could do kayak/canoe building for 3 months and then follow this by using what they build for a further 3 months. the first bit, the skill activity is not kayaking but kayak-building; the second bit is physical, kayaking. what is done in each should be quite separate even though there is a common theme.

i would encourage them to do quite different things for these two activities. i'm sure you can find a hobby/interest to develop in the skills section rather than have to fall back on kayaking or something kayaking related.

hth

cordially yours, TM

Thanks
    Could they could do the kayaking as their 'skill' and then do a physical fitness routine for the physical part?

They need the physical fitness to improve their kayaking skills, so it is not really something 'different' that they would have to take up. But it is a separation of 'doing kayaking' so improving on their skills and 'getting/staying fit' so staying physical parts for the award.

So they could do a fitness 'test' so have the starting values. Then agree on what they will do for the three months to try to improve their fitness level. Then take another fitness test to show that they have achieved their goals.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Given that the Scout awards are supposed to be the same difficulty level, but over broader subject areas, than DofE, and DofE are quite clear that an activity that could be used as a physical can't be used as a skill, I'd suggest that the same applies to the Scouting awards.

There are plenty of other skills they could choose, you're looking for an hour a week for 3-6 months, as mentioned above try looking for some "life skills" from the list.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    All
    Thank you for your comments, having further discused with the Explorer the life skills element looks promising. They are currently doing cooking at school and this could be used provided the Explorer records what they have done and shows some knowledge of the skill and development.
    Simon Edwards
    Cub Scout Leader
    1st Blackfords Sea Scouts RN37

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Edwards View Post
    All
    Thank you for your comments, having further discused with the Explorer the life skills element looks promising. They are currently doing cooking at school and this could be used provided the Explorer records what they have done and shows some knowledge of the skill and development.
    As long as it's done in their free time - e.g. as a lunchtime or after school club. If it's part of their "full time studies" it doesn't count for DofE.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"