Thread: Free bank account for Scout section

Thanks

Free bank account for Scout section

Hey all,

I'm trying to find a free bank account for our scout section. We currently use a Nationwide account but the bells/whistles are awful. No online banking, no cheque book, no debit cards, not even telephone banking. We're stuck with a 1950's style log book which gets stamped!

My main concern is that this account does not seem to work with Online Scout Manager's partner gocardless.com due to weird Nationwide account number systems so I need to move and fast!

Has anyone any suggestions, other than having an account in just my name (I don't like the responsibility of handling ALL of the cash)

P.S. I'm in Northern Ireland and whilst we share a lot of mainland banks we have a few of our own.

Many Thanks

Andrew Elwood
    1st Ballymacash Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 845 Posts
    You must NOT use an account in your own name for a Troop account. It must be set up correctly in the name of your Scout Troop, authorised by your Group Exec and with the Group Treasurer as signatory (I'd suggest the GSL, Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and at least a couple of Scout Leaders all be signatories).

Our Group and Unit have accounts with HSBC which while we have no online access do give us chequebooks and allow electronic transfers into the accounts. For online accounts especially with online payment options I think its pretty much CAF and Unity banks.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    I'll e-mail our treasurer. Even just having a cheque book would be heaven to us, at the moment we are having to lift cash from a branch and hand it to leaders who are out of pocket etc. It's messy to say the least!

Thanks
    We use NatWest. We had a choice of a cash card, but turned it down, we use 2 signatory business cheques and paying in books. We hold an Account for each Section with Treasurer, Secretary, GSL & Section Leader as signatories and a Group Account with Secretary, GSL, Treasurer & Chairman on. Having 4 authorised people allows the person drawing the cheque having some flexibility as to getting another person (even though as I am a very active GSL, I tend to be the "other person")

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aelwood View Post
    Hey all,

I'm trying to find a free bank account for our scout section. We currently use a Nationwide account but the bells/whistles are awful. No online banking, no cheque book, no debit cards, not even telephone banking. We're stuck with a 1950's style log book which gets stamped!

My main concern is that this account does not seem to work with Online Scout Manager's partner gocardless.com due to weird Nationwide account number systems so I need to move and fast!

Has anyone any suggestions, other than having an account in just my name (I don't like the responsibility of handling ALL of the cash)

P.S. I'm in Northern Ireland and whilst we share a lot of mainland banks we have a few of our own.

Many Thanks

Andrew Elwood
    1st Ballymacash Scouts
    good advice from shifty you would be wise to follow!

online banking for charity groups is fairly limited.

most groups will go with traditional 'treasurer accounts' which you'll find available at most high street banks in the uk.

iirc, lisburn has a barclays branch. barclays does standard treasurer accounts. you can ask in there for a start.

hth

cordially yours, TM

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    good advice from shifty you would be wise to follow!

online banking for charity groups is fairly limited.

most groups will go with traditional 'treasurer accounts' which you'll find available at most high street banks in the uk.

iirc, lisburn has a barclays branch. barclays does standard treasurer accounts. you can ask in there for a start.

hth

cordially yours, TM
    and here's an info sheet you might find useful: http://www.resourcecentre.org.uk/inf...organisations/

and another

http://www.glscountyscouts.org.uk/su...ee/page44.html
    Last edited by merryweather; 08-12-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Not sure if you have Lloyds over there... they definitely do online access for charity accounts with the option for "dual authorisation". I use Lloyds for various charities that i'm involved in and they're great.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves