Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The trouble with old school

Thanks

The trouble with old school

The trouble with being a slightly old school leader who likes scouts to do it all for themselves is that when you get to the very occasional camp where you put the tents up for them you find you've forgotten how those particular tents up.

D'oh!

Sent from a muddy corner of Gilwell

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CambridgeSkip For This Useful Post:

GSL-Rob (10-01-2014),Testarossa (13-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Nope never found a tent I couldn't workout how to pitch in a few mins without any instructions

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Only tent that has ever beaten me turned out to be poles from one tent and canvas for another!
    It was a toilet tent
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,263 Posts
    I find those white mess tents quite good, not for not knowing how to put them up, but having, say, enough poles for the 18' mess tent, but the canvas for the 25' or if you have the extendable/sectional ones, managing to take two of the the same "end", or only taking 6 side wall/roof pole joints, but needing 8 for the canvas you have, or 2 too few roof poles. I should get a t-shirt made with a leaders standing round a 90% finished roof poles of a mess tent sat on the grass, and the speech bubble saying "so...smaller mess tent, or a trip back to the scout hut?" - then I'd have been there, done that, and got the tshirt.

See also, returning pop up tents to their bag.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I find those white mess tents quite good, not for not knowing how to put them up, but having, say, enough poles for the 18' mess tent, but the canvas for the 25' or if you have the extendable/sectional ones, managing to take two of the the same "end", or only taking 6 side wall/roof pole joints, but needing 8 for the canvas you have, or 2 too few roof poles. I should get a t-shirt made with a leaders standing round a 90% finished roof poles of a mess tent sat on the grass, and the speech bubble saying "so...smaller mess tent, or a trip back to the scout hut?" - then I'd have been there, done that, and got the tshirt.

Ian
    That's why I love army surplus 12x12 marquees, want a double length and take 2 roof sets 2 pole sets and 2 ends, done (leave the 4 spare angles in one of the pole bags)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post

Ian
    The real fun comes when you have the sort of white mess tent where the double ended cross poles are a slightly different size to the ones for the ridge/top rail and you don't find out until you're struggling to get the canvas into place in a rainstorm. That's when gaffer tape, baler twine and a bit of ingenuity can save the day!
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    The real fun comes when you have the sort of white mess tent where the double ended cross poles are a slightly different size to the ones for the ridge/top rail and you don't find out until you're struggling to get the canvas into place in a rainstorm. That's when gaffer tape, baler twine and a bit of ingenuity can save the day!
    I have yet to find a single-ended pole of any type. Do they incorporate a twist like a Mobieus band?

For many years I said I could put up any tent (just like shiftypete) until I met my match with a simple lightweight two-man tent. I can put that one up easily now, but I am reluctant to repeat my boast.

Thanks
    Putting pop ups (we use them for YLs) back in the bag fixes me...

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DonTregartha For This Useful Post:

4thDarwin Akela (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
    That's why I love army surplus 12x12 marquees, want a double length and take 2 roof sets 2 pole sets and 2 ends, done (leave the 4 spare angles in one of the pole bags)
    I agree.... we have three in our district store... can be put up in any combination. The downside is when they are then packed away wrongly (ie two bags of just roof panels, and a bag of just wall panels). One then picks up a bag, and enough poles and spiders.... and finds that it doesnt have any sides (or worse, roof)!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    The trouble with being a slightly old school leader who likes scouts to do it all for themselves is that when you get to the very occasional camp where you put the tents up for them you find you've forgotten how those particular tents up.

D'oh!

Sent from a muddy corner of Gilwell
    The only time recently i've not known how to put tents up were the ones we found in the back of the kit store that hadn't been used for years. Eventually our team of 4 scouters, 1 guider, and a couple of parents managed to work it out!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Echo the canvas white mess tents - this is the only tent I have trouble with ! Bought before my time with mid extension pieces and ground rails! Still can't be sure which pole is roof apex, straight, upright or ground rail. An attempt to apply some labelling (by previous leadership) does not work. Keep meaning to spend an pitching at our HQ and getting it right once and all!
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Length of poles for mess tents is the key to which section serves a particular purpose.

Uprights may well have a plastic end cap on one end. You may, if you're lucky, still have two upright sections of one leg joined by springs and a short chain. Otherwise, look for broken springs in the ends of the poles.

Transverse ground rails, if there are any, will be the longest.

With most designs, roof apex and straights (longitudinal and transverse) will be the same length. If not, there may be fewer apex sections than long straights. Longitudinal ground rails will be the same length as the straights.

Simples!

Actually, it's a good team building challenge, particularly for Explorer Scouts, to work out how to pitch a mess tent. If you want to add difficulty, have some missing poles, or too many, or some of the wrong size
    MatSav

GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I

Thanks
    Another alternative, once you have worked what goes where, is to do what we have done and put different coloured electrical tape around poles of the same type. Mind you doesn't solve the problem of arriving at camp with too many walls and no end sections!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    Another alternative, once you have worked what goes where, is to do what we have done and put different coloured electrical tape around poles of the same type.
    Someone did that but pitched in wrong in the 1st place !
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    We are lucky as our mess tent has all roof poles the same length, ground rails and leg poles are both different lengths and fits again. So the only slightly confusing part is the connectors and even that is not too hard to work out.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with