Thread: Data Protection clarity

Thanks

Data Protection clarity

Hi Wayne,

I am sure that you and your team are sick of seeing discussion hear and elsewhere regarding whether a group can share data with other bodies within Scouting (for instance can I share the personal details of Scouts reaching 14 with the Explorer leader?). The latest version of POR (in 14.11) makes it clear that the relevant local Exec is the data controller and hence responsible for any data that they collect - I think we are all happy with that. It is not clear who is the data controller for any information entered into the current or future membership system.

Now to the question - there are a number of people on this forum who understand (or appear to understand) the Data Protection Act better than I do and some of them claim that if we collect information for the section we are in then we cannot just share it with another body without permission and taking reasonable steps to assure ourselves that the data will be managed securely and will not be used for purposes other than for which it was collected.

I understand that the view of HQ and the Info Centre is that as a national body for which membership is requried there is no issue with sharing the personal data of members with the TSA rather than retaining it within the domain fo the local Exec.

Given the diverging views have you or the Council considered getting written clarification from the Data Protection Registrar or obtaining legal advice which could be shared with the local data controllers for their reassurance?

Many thanks for your time
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Hi John,

We have sought extensive external legal advice on data protection issues as well as discussed with the Information Commissioner and will again reassure everybody that we will be fully compliant etc.

We will be sharing this as part of the communications plan over the coming weeks and months.

Many thanks,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    Thank you - I am sure that will reassure many people.

John
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District