Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself...

Thanks
    Welcome to Escouts you two

For melliepup... I think the answer from most of us would be what isn't there for a 35 year old Mum of three to get involved in with Scouting!!!

I was the tender age of 34 before I ever had anything to do with Scouting, when my son joined Cubs.... and look where I have ended up. (Scout Group Chairman, organising our District Sunrise events for 650 people, helping with any Section that needs it when we're short of leaders, organising a 10 day Norway Troop adventure...)

You'll find most of the adults involved with our Group will admit we do it firstly for the children, but secondly for us. After all, where else can you get to act like a big kid and get away with it?

As you mention you have a child in Scouting already have you tried talking to the leaders of that Section, or the Group Scout Leader?

There are lots of roles available depending on what you enjoy and the time you have available - anything from Executive Committee member through to uniformed leaders.

Maybe take a look at the Scout Group section on this web page to give you a general overview.
    http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/support/role/jobs/index.htm

If you have any other questions you know where we are
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insanescouter View Post
    Hello all,

I am the founder and webmaster of www.insanescouter.org a large Scouting Resource Library.
    I like the random phrases quotes on your website Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post

For melliepup... I think the answer from most of us would be what isn't there for a 35 year old Mum of three to get involved in with Scouting!!!

where else can you get to act like a big kid and get away with it?
    Mellipop, I'm 40 and love acting like a big kid! enjoy Scouting ans good move joining escouts, it's fun, useful and thought provoking.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    Insanescout, great site, have already plundered some ideas of it.

Melliepup, only 35. I am 44 in October. Your kids Scout Group will give a job without any hesitation. I can even see the Warrant application form being already in the post. As for Escouts !!!!! what a bunch of ..............
    Helpful, interesting, clever, nice, all round wonderful people.
    Even when I get grumpy (grumpyer) they bring you back, chear you up and keep you sane!!!

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    I'll have a word with the scout group when they go back in september and see were I can fit in.

I wouldn't mind helping out with the Beavers it's just that I haven't got anyone to look after the 2 younger children, not sure it would go down to well if I took them with me , although they have been tree planting, wild flower seed sowing and they attended the scouting sunrise

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by melliepup View Post
    not sure it would go down to well if I took them with me
    Do you mean with the adults or from an insurance point of view since we have insurance for necessary siblings at meetings.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    I'll have a word with the scout group when they go back in september and see were I can fit in.

I wouldn't mind helping out with the Beavers it's just that I haven't got anyone to look after the 2 younger children, not sure it would go down to well if I took them with me , although they have been tree planting, wild flower seed sowing and they attended the scouting sunrise
    Hi there melli, I have 3 kids too, a scout, an almost Cub and what I like to refer to as a demi-Beaver - he's 4 and has been coming to Beavers for about year, along with my other leaders two youngsters, aged 4 and 1. If we couldnt bring our kids with us, there would be no Beavers. As it is, we have lots of lovely leaders and helpers, so ratios/numbers are not a problem.

I love Beavers - as does my ABSL - we have such a laugh, we do ridiculous things, and I adore the youngsters - even the little b*ggers who remind me how great my own kids are... Oh and your middle one can start officially at 5 3/4 !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lill View Post
    Do you mean with the adults or from an insurance point of view since we have insurance for necessary siblings at meetings.
    When we have done stuff with the Beavers in the past the younger ones have always been made to feel welcome by the adults, so it's more from an insurance point of view, I didn't think I would be able to take them because of there age, but it's nice to know that some groups do

Thanks
    Hiya everyone,
    I hope it's ok for me to join here because I've never been a member of scouts and now I think i'm too old but my eldest daughter is a Beaver (due to move up to cubs in the new year) and my other daughter is very eager to join but she is only just 5, so she has to wait a bit.

I would like to get involved in scouting but not sure if there is anything for a 35yr old mum of 3 (7,5+3)
    Welcome Melliepup - nice user name!

A shan't disclose my age, but I am a tad older than you, and I find no shortage of things to do in Scouintg, believe me. The trick is to take on something you enjoy and then repel boarders like mad!

I suggest that you attend a Beaver meeting, then a Cub meeting and see if you prefer either of those. If neither seem right for you, consider doing something behind the scenes - Secretary, Chairman, Treasurer or Fund-Raising Coordinator. Whatever you do, don't expect huge praise and thanks, but there are always little rewards along the way - the unforgettable moments.

I just hope that the Leaders make you welcome - there are some Groups that get very insular.

Thanks
    Melliepup, our ABSL brings her youngest to most meetings, and he's 2. He's been doing Beavers since he was 6 weeks old!

Thanks
    Well Melliepup, only 35 eh? Just a baby! I would agree with all that has been said above, just take the plunge and enjoy! You can check with your Scout County to see if they have taken out the insurance for Leaders children who are not in the Movement yet. However, there are loads of things you can do!
    I started as a parent helper 12 years ago, am now the Scout Leader. Just be aware that it gets into your blood and can become a way of life, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Thanks

InsaneScouter

thanks to all who have posted messages in regards to insanescouter.org and who welcomed me to the fourm

By the way I am 32 and have been around the scouting block a few times. I have no kids of my own, I only do it because I enjoy it.

Scott Robertson
    http://insanescouter.org
    Scott Robertson
    http://twitter.com/insanescouter
    http://insanescouter.org
    Helping leaders on resource at a time....

Thanks
    In Northern Ireland we now have a section for younger kids than Beavers called Squirels. I take it from your posts that this is not happening everywhere.

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've seen references to Squirrel Scouts (ages 4-6) in Northern Ireland dating as far back as 1992 (when if I remember, even Beavers weren't members of Scouting, and wore the sky blue necker). It doesn't appear to be particularly widespread though.

I do wonder though, how far removed the programme is from the Scouting ethos, given the teuous links between the current beaver programme and the rest of the sections.

I've said in the past and will say again, craft games and story groups (the majority of beaver colonies, if we're being honest) is babysitting/schooling, not Scouting. Maybe the Republic of Ireland have got it right with their proposals to drop beavers and start cubs at 7?

*Puts on the flameproof jacket and stands back*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    I've seen references to Squirrel Scouts (ages 4-6) in Northern Ireland dating as far back as 1992 (when if I remember, even Beavers weren't members of Scouting, and wore the sky blue necker). It doesn't appear to be particularly widespread though.

I do wonder though, how far removed the programme is from the Scouting ethos, given the teuous links between the current beaver programme and the rest of the sections.

I've said in the past and will say again, craft games and story groups (the majority of beaver colonies, if we're being honest) is babysitting/schooling, not Scouting. Maybe the Republic of Ireland have got it right with their proposals to drop beavers and start cubs at 7?

*Puts on the flameproof jacket and stands back*
    You are a very brave man.
    To be honest I have some sympathy with you but the fact is that the most successful way of feeding your Scout Troop is via cubs, Cubs vis Beavers and now it is quickly becoming Beavers vis Squirels.
    Beavers are here to stay. The same arguments were used when Beavers were first introduced but I must disagree in your programe arguement. Yes there is a large amount of crafts and story telling involved but in my experience there is also a lage amount of mini scouting in the Beaver programe.

CEOP Ambassador

Camp 2008/09

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post

I've said in the past and will say again, craft games and story groups (the majority of beaver colonies, if we're being honest) is babysitting/schooling, not Scouting.
    You do us a disservice Peter! Crafts are only used to fill some of our nights (3 planned between now and Christmas), I rarely get time to do stories, and games are part of all scout sections! We have run nights that the scouts have nicked (like fairtrade), we have done traditional scout skills like knots and campfires and backwoods cooking, and we get involved in environmental and community projects locally. Its not all crayons and glue you know!!

But then we are damned if we do and damned if we dont - if we try and take the Beavers canoeing or climbing we get told "you have to give them something to learns in cubs".