Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself...

Thanks
    Hi,
    My name is Daniel and i am 16 and an explorer scout at 4th (Huddersfield) Golcar Scout Group.
    I started at 4th Golcar in 1998 in the scout section after moving from another section near by. At my old Section i went through Beavers and cubs and started scouts before the move.
    At the moment i have achieved my D of E Bronze and Silver and i am half way through my Gold award.
    For the Service section i help out at the Cub Scout Section
    Skill section i am building 4th Golcar Scout Groups Website
    physical - not yet known
    I built a explorer scout section website for my d of e silver i the group site just followed. The explorer sections site has now moved to our group site.

Daniel
    www.4thgolcarscoutgroup.org.uk :warp

Can i Just say a BIG THANKYOU to all of the escouts team for there help.

Thanks
    My name's Tom and I'm 16 as well! I am from Raptor Explorer Scout Unit in Maidstone East (Kent)

I am not so quick with D of E, I am still doing Bronze and trying to get it completed soon cos I have been signed up for about a year but my unit are boring and dont wanna do it! lol! I am doing Millennium Volunteers at the moment, I signed up yesterday :-D I do so much volunteering that it is worth doing!

I also help out at my local cub pack for service

Visit my explorer website (that I set up) at http://www.raptor.escouts.org.uk
    Tom
    Raptor ESU Webmaster

Thanks
    Hi, my name is Jamie, i am a 15 year old Explorer Scout at the 18th Warley Explorer Scout Unit in Calderdale West, West Yorkshire. I am currently acting as a young leader by helping at our Cub Pack and also working towards my Queens Scout Award. Got many things planned in my ESU such as paragliding, taking part in the Apex Challenge, parachuting and going out to Africa to help a Scout group.

I am the computer guru (on the internet side of things anyway) in our ESU as you can see from our web site which i have designed and maintained over the last 2 years. http://www.warleyscouts.org.uk

I have my own web design company where 10% of profit which comes via an Escouts member is given back to Escouts. http://www.jphdesigns.co.uk

Anyway, i must go and get ready because i am leaving sunny Yorkshire and going to sunny Spain in 5 hours. 8)

I love Sport (football, rugby and cricket), Scouting, the outdoors and web design.

Being in Scouting since i was 6 and i have being at the same group (18th Warley) all through that time.

In the year 2000 i went to Kandersteg International Scout Centre (Switzerland) with my District (http://www.cwscouts.org.uk) and lived it.

Was planning on going to the World Jamboree but pulled out at the last min. (Dont ask why because it is a long story, :?
    Latest Blog Post: Taking Your Web Development Business to a Full Time Income

I have a Blogging addiction. Please send help!

Thanks
    Ok I intend to try to be a regular on these forums so here goes nothing .

Hi, my name is Kenneth Mclauchlan, I am 17 years old I am currently an explorer in paisley and help out as a young leader at 18th Paisley Coats Memorial Scouts.
    I am also a member of camp staff at Lapwing Lodge http://www.lapwingscoutcentre.org.uk I started scouting as a beaver and have worked my way up through the sections to explorer scouts I have the old Chief Scout Award and wish to work towards my queens scout this year.

I am currently studying Computer Networking and run 2 Linux servers as part of a small web hosting company. I am also involved with http://www.scoutlink.net the IRC network for scouts as a Techie. As you can probably tell I am pretty much a computer geek and love all things computer I am useless at web design I tend to stick the programming side of things so if any one needs help with php or perl feel free to ask

Kenny

Thanks
    Welcome All. Anyone else - we have 300+ members and nowhere near that many replies!
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Hi Kenny

Welcome to escouts, nothing wrong with being a techie. Unless you are up into the wee small hours doing this and that and people think your sad, why do I think I'm talking about myself :?

I mean having been chained to this computer, most of the weekend, tomorow morning I go back to my dull sys admin job, being chained to a computer.

I did see Charlies Angels on Saturday night though :mrgreen:

Thanks
    I started my Scouting as a BeaverScout with the 40th Birkenhead and went on to join Cubs there. I transfered to the 4th Birkenhead Cub Pack when my Mum started to help out there and i have stayed with the Group ever since, going through the Pack, Troop and some time in the Venture Unit.

I have risen through the leadership ranks at the 4th also. I started as a Pack helper before moving on to Troop helper and then warranted ASL. I am currently SL at the Troop and have also become a DSL within the Distrct.

Through Birkenhead District, i help out with Duke of Edinburgh on the Wirral and am Quarter Master of the Duke of Edinburgh stores in Birkenhead. Because of my involvement with D of E i have begun my Mountain Leader's training course and am also looking at other training courses.

Within Birkenhead District i have also recently been appointed curator/archivist of the small historical collection that the district is setting up at it's head quarters.

In my role as DSL i have also become heavily involved in the setting up of our District Explorer Scout Section.

I am an active member of our local Scout Network "Cerberus S-Net" and designed the badge we will eventually be wearing on our neckers.

I am very keen on all this web site creating and have created sites for my Scout Group, my D of E group, a District sub site for King's/Queen's Scout Award holders and the new DESA in our district has just asked me to help set up a site for them. I have recently recommended escouts to a friend who is setting up our Cerberus S-Net site which i will end up being a part of no dout!

And in my spare time i am training to be a nurse at Arrowe Park hospital.
    PJ :o)

ADC (Scouts) - Birkenhead
    District Archivist - Birkenhead

Thanks
    Hi I am Simon Burgess

I am Currently District Commissioner for Arundel and Littlehampton Scouts in West Sussex.

I have been in Scouting all my life, as has my father before me and also his mother. So we have a continuous Scouting line back to the early days of Scouting.

I have been a Cub, Scout, Venture Scout (Queen's Scout) ASL, ACSL, County Scout Leader, Deputy DC and now DC.

I am keen on the use of web sites and email communication to get District wide messages across as it is so instant. Although we must also consider those out there in Scouting who do not have access to techonolgy.

Please see www.al-scouts.org.uk/ for my Districts Site.

Simon Burgess [email protected]

Thanks

JazHaz aka James Haslam ;-)

I can't be asked to type something fresh in here, so I will just copy and paste from my Scouts Reunited entry! :-)

I did Cubs and Scouts at the 5th Enfield, then after a short time at the 18th Edmonton (Methodist), joined the 23rd Enfield, where I did Scouts and Ventures.

From there I joined the Enfield District Scout Band, and played first cymbals, then side-drum, and then bass drum. I left when I was 25, but recently got arm-twisted into coming back to help out as they didn't have a bass drummer full time.

The 23rd Enfield VSU wasn't active, and I eventually got bored and left. Then whilst doing a display with the Band at the District Fete, I bumped into an old friend that I went to school with (Derek Jones), and he invited me to join his VSU - the Hawthorn VSU based at the 6th Enfield.

I had a brilliant time there, and after I left I became ACSL with Dave and Sarah Howell, then later on they left and I became full CSL, at the 6th. Other leaders who joined me were Phil Heath (now Gardener), Chrisse Nasse, and Philip Taylor who later took over from me as CSL. I left in 1997.

Six years later, I was invited to go to the 77th Gilwell Reunion in 2003, and shortly thereafter found myself as ACSL at the 19th Enfield, with Phil and Graham 'Percy' Gardener!

I also recently started the Enfield District Scout Band website, and that is growing nicely now. Enfield District Scout Band
    James Haslam,
    Webmaster & Bass Drummer,
    Enfield District Scout Band

Thanks
    I was a late comer to escouts, took me a while to realise it was here, and since the free hosting stopped, was so impressed with the service that I paid for a pathfinder hosting account for the unit (without knowing if they would pay me back)

I have 3 sides to my life, on one side you have "James Harrison", been to school, got three A's at A-Level (Maths, Further Maths, Physics), now on a GAP year between A-levels and university (Bristol-Maths+Computer Science) during which I am working for 3M (www.3m.com/uk) in Bracknell as "European eBusiness Solutions Implementation Support" or something similar (bascially its a posh title for doing all the jobs that no-one else wants to do and getting paid lots (in student terms) for doing it)

Side number two (harryman100) is quite closely linked to this, I am (quite frankly) a bit of a geek, I enjoy messing around with computers and stuff, and bodging things around, learning about them as I do it, then slowly getting to the stage where I can do things quite competently. This is how I learn't PHP (and MySQL, and HTML, and some limited Javascript, along with many other things)

And finally, side number 3, Harry, with the almost infamous Backwards Baseball Hat and Sunglasses (if you have met me, you will generally remember me). Harry joined Scouts in Beavers 12 years ago, went through Cubs and Scouts in the same group (1st Lee Common) before moving on to Venture Scouts (as it was then) at Misbourne just in time to go on the 2000 expedition to the Canadian Rockies, which was unforgettable, I became unit webmaster September 2000, and then Unit Vice Chairman September 2002, after 3 years on the Unit Exec, I was booted out, because I had become too old for Explorer Scouts, Currently I am still hanging around the explorers until I go to uni, and also because I am still in the process of handing over the unit website (www.misbourne.org.uk) to my successor (sp?!)

There are a few things common to all the sides, the interest in computers, the height (5ft4") the weight (8st), and the love of good music (the definition of "Good" includes, among others: Dire Straits, Meatloaf, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Bon Jovi, Guns n' Roses, Sting, Santana, Queen, Pink Floyd, Jools Holland....)

In contrast to the slightly geeky image, I do also have a particular friend of the opposite sex (who, I did meet through Scouting) long may that last (until my actual girlfriend finds out I think!! j/k)

I expect I will slowly appear more around here, I have very little 'free' time at the moment, but will try and get on as much as possible and offer a slightly bizarre view on everything that goes on.

For those who didn't spot the link earlier, try the "Award Winning" http://www.misbourne.org.uk, if you fancy looking at a blank page, you can also try http://www.alt-control.net, I can't promise anything at the moment, as I still haven't got around to building the site, as soon as I off load the unit site, I will get on with it.

If you read this far, well done, if not, I can't blame you, I can't say I am particularly interesting to read about.

Harry

Gigglegas
    Thanks
    My turn

I'm Greg AKA Gigglegas you have to hear my laugh to know why well 12 and a 1/2 mins solid in a pub somwehere in Derbyshire. I did ache the following morning.

I am currently highly involved with the Network setup in Hertfordshire and a member of polaris scoutnetwork. http://polaris.2nw.org.uk

I am also a ASL for the 2nd North Watford and the muggins responsible for the websites.

I try do do as much as possible including climbing, walking etc..

Well that's it for now

Greg
    And the giggle goes on and on and on...

Thanks
    Mite as well add myself too.

I'm James, am 15 years old and am a YL with 1st Awsworth Scout Troop. I started off as a cub when i was 8 back in the days when we had a waiting list to join cubs! Progressed through cubs and scouts then decided to become a YL, even though the scheme wasnt rele set up in my district and still isnt!

I started web design for my personal project for Cheif Scouts Award and thanks to my SL's nagging have kept at it! Unfortunatly, i havent rele got much further than HTML and simple PHP, i want to spend more time in learning PHP soon.

As for the future, am currently trying to get myself registered for DofE Silver and am taking GCSE's in a month or two! My all time ambition in Scouting is to go to Kandersteg and work on the staff!

Well, no interesting stories im afraid!

Thanks
    i am a senior scout in 4th eastcote, 14 years old and about to move up to our explorer unit!

i have been scouting most of my life as i have started as a beaver. i am thinking of doing my doe but am still dicideing on what to do for it.

Thanks
    Hi everybody,

Just signed up after seeing Richard's signature on the uk.rec.scouting newsgroup! Nice advert m8!

My name's Neil and I'm ASL at 1st Whitnash, which is in Leamington district, Warwickshire.

Hopefully see some of you guys around!

TTFN
    Putting the 'out' back into Scouting

http://www.warkcom.net/lspascouts

Thanks
    Right, time for an update.

I'm still Matt, an ACSL and Network Chairman on the IOW, but i'm now living in Bournemouth doing a degree in Computing.

Things have been massively busy recently with Uni and the suchlike, and because i've not been back home much, i've not done much Scouting.

After a bit of a sabbatical from Escouts, i'm glad to be back on the team!
    Matt Hanson
    Team
    Pneumatus.co.uk
    Always here to