Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself...

Thanks

Hi I'm Vicki

Hi

I am new to scouting - volunteered to be Sea Scout Leader in September.

Going great and having loads of fun but a lot to learn.

Confession:
    I can't tie knots

Loving escouts - so much info!

Vicki
    Skiponahill
    Child Herder Pro
    Skip, 1st Colerne Sea Scouts
    www.1stcolerneseascouts.co.uk

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiponahill View Post
    Hi

I am new to scouting - volunteered to be Sea Scout Leader in September.

Going great and having loads of fun but a lot to learn.

Confession:
    I can't tie knots

Loving escouts - so much info!

Vicki
    Skiponahill
    Hi Vicki
    Welcome to scouting and to escouts
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Senior Member silverhairedbeaver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi Vicki welcome to
    Colin Cooke

Makes you wonder if it is all worth it

1st Halton
    Thanks
    Knots are the easy part, keeping the kids interested while keeping your sanity and free-time.....now THAT is the hard part!

Thanks
    Hiya,

My name is Martin Steers and been in the movement since a scout.. helped out and help a cub warrant and then was an AESL when it launched for a few years. But been actively involved in doing media / PR stuff at Essex Scouts the last 10 years and now run Scout Radio a team that supports and provides broadcast radio.
    -
    Martin Steers | Scout Radio
    Team Leader

e: [email protected]
    w: www.scoutradio.org.uk

Thanks
    Hi my names Derek, also know as Akela and Keith Lemon (still trying to figure that one out), applied as a helper in November 2011, asked to be an Assistant Cub Scout Leader in December 2011 and became a Cub Scout Leader in January 2012. Finished getting started in March 2012 and just need to do one more course and get half of them validated for the wood badge. So far my initiation into Scouts has been very chaotic and often confusing but things are starting to settle down.

A long time ago, way back in history I was a Beaver and then became a Cub. I have fond memories of my own time in the pack and want to give the kids the same chances (though H&S isn’t making it easy!)

Found the site while looking for scouting resources, been lurking for the past few months but thought it best I finally come out of the shadows

CSL, Webmaster, Quartermaster and general dogsbody
    Eskmouth (Whitby) Scout Group

"You must be mad to do Scouts" - Friends

Thanks
    Welcome to Escouts, fell for the old we need an assistant CL trick did you! Have fun!
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    It was more, "we need a CSL, if you don't do it we disband the pack". The BL had been running the pack for close on a year, they got a new CSL who dropped out after a month (family commitments) and then I just happened to volunteer as an OH (plan was to get some experience and then move up the ranks when needed). They managed to get one of the mums to volunteer to be ACSL at the same time, needless to say two of us new to leadership was an experience.

CSL, Webmaster, Quartermaster and general dogsbody
    Eskmouth (Whitby) Scout Group

"You must be mad to do Scouts" - Friends

Thanks
    Well I think you have found one of the premier places on the internet in which to ask questions and get immediate help and answers! There is lots of experience available on here!
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Hi everyone, my name is Lisa Wichman and for all my sins........................i'm back.
    After leaving venture scouts (late eighties) i was offered a position as a AVSL with a unit in another district (Itchen South) and stayed there for a couple of years. I then stepped down to the scout section and went back to my old district (Itchen North) where i took out a ASL warrant with a sea scout troop and was dumped in at the deep end to organise the troops summer camp as the SL wanted his ASL's to have more of a say in how the troop was run. I was enjoying my time there but then a close friend asked if i would like to help him run a small troop in the Southampton Central district (now re-named Southampton City) which was close to been closed down.
    Then a new GSL came in and wanted the troop to be ran by his brother, as we both were only ASL's we had no choice in the matter and i decided to take a break from scouting before finding another troop to join. That break lasted all of a fortnight where i met up with the ADC of my old Itchen North district at Roverang (local gang show) and he said that a troop on the outskirts of the city needed a leader and would i be interested (needless to say i just said "when do you want me to start").
    I turned up on the friday night where the GSL justed handed me the troop records, funds and hut keys and said this is Adi your assistant if you need me heres my number. Shocked................yes, but i stayed with the troop for ten years as the SL. As i then thought it was time to move on, the then ADC asked if i would become one of his DSL's and with all my experience within the scout section i did that and helped other leaders/troops in the district. In 2005 i stepped down due to reasons that i just knew the district were not ready to handle and left.
    But earlier this year during a girlie curry and wine evening i mentioned to a close friend of mine that i was thinking of going back into scouts and she said that her scout group was looking for a new GSL (turned out to be group where i was once the SL) and that they had not had one for a few years. I have now been in this position since the beginning of February and am enjoying every moment of been back at my old scout group.

Outside of scouting I am a Duty Security Manageress
    Last edited by Lisa1066; 11-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Lisa Wichman
    Group Scout Leader
    29th Itchen North (Broadoak)
    40th Anniversary (1972-2012)

Thanks
    Watchya, from Southamptonish..
    Stumbled over this site recently and found it very useful.

Anyways about me.
    Old Skool cub and scout from the 80's.
    Helped open a Beaver colony and was a leader.
    Left to see what the big bad world had to offer, with all the usual stuff that involves.

Now settled and my eldest daughter recently joined a local colony, so I have come back into uniform and really enjoying it too.
    Such alot has changed in the intervening years, most for the good. Not to sure about the leery badges though

Much to (re)learn and pass onto my new charges. Can't wait for next term to get started and really get my hands dirty...
    In my other life I'm an IT manager for a Global automotive firm, currently working for Ford..
    Also involved with (admin) a large Q&A site of 1million+ members, as well as a number of other sites.
    So I spend way too much time online for my own good...
    Last edited by BenOfThe12th; 26-07-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BenOfThe12th View Post
    Watchya, from Eastleigh..
    Stumbled over this site recently and found it very useful.

Anyways about me.
    Old Skool cub and scout from the 80's.
    Helped open a Beaver colony and was a leader.
    Left to see what the big bad world had to offer, with all the usual stuff that involves.

Now settled and my eldest daughter recently joined a local colony, so I have come back into uniform and really enjoying it too.
    Such alot has changed in the intervening years, most for the good. Not to sure about the leery badges though

Much to (re)learn and pass onto my new charges. Can't wait for next term to get started and really get my hands dirty...
    In my other life I'm an IT manager for a Global automotive firm, currently working for Ford..
    Also involved with (admin) a large Q&A site of 1million+ members, as well as a number of other sites.
    So I spend way too much time online for my own good...
    Welcoe to Escouts we're a friendly bunch and very welcoming .
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    Welcoe to Escouts
    Mind your spelling Roger, wouldn't want to upset Stephen again!

we're a friendly bunch and very welcoming .
    Well most of us anyway, there's a few shady characters around these parts to watch out for but the rest of us are ok.

Daniel
    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Yours in Scouting
    Daniel Bishop (Rat)
    Acting Beaver Scout Leader
    Assistant Scout Leader
    28th Portsmouth Scout Group
    City of Portsmouth Scout Active Support Unit Member
    Portsmouth Scout Archery Club Member

http://28thportsmouthscoutgroup.co.uk

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/ca...outhscoutgroup

Thanks
    Just thought I would Introduce myself. My name is Paul Martyn, and I scouter with the 6th West Whalley Scout Group, in Surrey, BC, Canada. Ran into this forum by accident and found it very informative, if not somewhat confusing with all these Acronyms you use, and I though Scouts Canada was bad! I was a Cub way back in the 70's but then we moved, and I did not join Scouts. My sister is the reason I am involved now, when my son entered kindergarten, she said " Bring him to Beaver!, and by the way, you will be a leader!!" I have now been doing it for 15yrs. My 3 sons have gone through all the sections and are all Rovers this year. Currently I am a Venturer Advisor, and Group Scouter (which just means I help and provide guidance where I am needed in the group!). In the past I have been a Beaver, Cub, and Scout Leader and Group Commissioner, sometimes at the same time. We have a saying over here, " Only a hour and a half a week..... Off!!".

Senior Member silverhairedbeaver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site Paul
    Colin Cooke

Makes you wonder if it is all worth it