Thread: Introduce Yourself...

Senior Member silverhairedbeaver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hi Alasdair and welcome to .
    Colin Cooke

Makes you wonder if it is all worth it

CSL (In training)
    Thanks
    Hey, I'm Anthony, I'm an ACSL with 45th Rossendale Scouts. I got into this a year or so ago when my eldest started Beavers. They needed leaders in all sections at our group, so I volunteered for Cubs so that the little rascals can get used to doing what Leaders tell them before they are in a group I'm helping with! I'm now on my way to getting my wood badge, and wondering why i never did this as a kid

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevynxxx View Post
    Hey, I'm Anthony, I'm an ACSL with 45th Rossendale Scouts. I got into this a year or so ago when my eldest started Beavers. They needed leaders in all sections at our group, so I volunteered for Cubs so that the little rascals can get used to doing what Leaders tell them before they are in a group I'm helping with! I'm now on my way to getting my wood badge, and wondering why i never did this as a kid
    Glad to hear you've caught the bug, it's infectious - Ive been a CSL for 10 years now and am heavily infected!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bernwood For This Useful Post:

nevynxxx (28-06-2014)

Thanks
    Aye, you can catch all sorts from cubs...

Welcome aboard matey!

SL 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

I've been looking for a while so thought I would introduce myself here, I'm Chil as you can see by my user name, the Cubs gave me that name so I suppose I'm stuck with it now, anyway my real name is Martin.

I am a new Assistant Cub Scout Leader in the Hastings and Rye District is there any other users from this district on here? I have only been doing this since January after deciding I wanted to do some kind of voluntary work, I had no idea I wanted to or would like working with children despite working in a school but not directly with the children, the Scout Group I work with is on the school site so I see it everyday and my Dad was a Scout Leader when I was young although I never was a Cub/Scout myself (which I still find a bit strange) therefore everything was pointing me in that direction, I spoke to our GSL to see if there was anything I could do to help, his reply was of course yes, and he really needed help with the Cubs, the school I work at is a Secondary School so I was not to familiar with the Cubs age group but I said OK I'll try it and the rest as they say is History and I am really enjoying it.

I have now finished my getting started training and was told the other night at training that my certificate for this has come through and I would be invested when we go back in September. I am finding the rest of the training a bit of a struggle (it must get harder the older you get) but I'm not going to let it defeat me and will keep at it.

Thanks for reading
    Martin

Thanks
    Hi, my name is Phil and I am considering a role within TSA. I'll start my own post with some questions shortly.

Thanks
    Welcome to you both
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ph80 View Post
    Hi, my name is Phil and I am considering a role within TSA. I'll start my own post with some questions shortly.
    Welcome to Escouts, and hopefully welcome to Scouting in general.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Senior Member silverhairedbeaver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Welcome to escouts Phil. Hope you find this a great place for advice and wisdom.
    Colin Cooke

Makes you wonder if it is all worth it

Thanks
    Hi

I am a new District Explorer Scout Commissioner (one of many recently appointed in my County in the last couple of months). I have some topics I want to discuss and would prefer to remain anonymous for now, if that's ok?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 848 Posts
    Hi and welcome, any past experience in Scouting or are you jumping in at the deep end?

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Yes and No.

I was involved with Cubs 20 years ago. I left and have had no involvement in the past 20 years. A few months ago I was encouraged to re-join by a friend. I've forgotten just about everything I ever knew in that 20 years and so effectively i'm in at the deep end.

Hopefully, that doesn't 'out' me!

Thanks
    Hi there everyone,

I joined the Scout movement as an adult back in January of last year with no prior experience in the movement. My career ambition is to be a primary school teacher (I've a ITT place at MMU in September, I just need to pass my skills tests), so I joined the movement aged 23 to get some experience. I hooked up with my local group and became an ABSL and have absolutely loved it. They beavers wormed their way into my heart and I can see myself spending many more years in the Scouts to come, even after I'm a fully qualified teacher.

So I started out assisting the BSL and then became the Beaver treasurer. Unfortunately the BSL has been absent from the group for the last 4-5 months through some very serious real life issues, so I've effectively become the BSL in all but name, not that I'm complaining though; I create a lot of learning resources and do a lot of planning for my full time job as a Teaching Assistant, so creating a programme to ensure all the beavers get their badges and the Chief Scout's Bronze Award came pretty naturally to me. It's allowed me to bring about a few improvements too which I think have made life easier for all of us; we run on time now and the beavers get their badges, behaviour is a lot better too.

What I want to do now is improve recruitment for both the beavers, and adult volunteers (It's currently just me and the GSL who is standing in as an ABSL), hence why I'm here to get more ideas so I can make our colony even better.

Hope to hear from you guys,

Cheers.

Thanks
    Welcome to Escouts Jamieson.

As you say - the Beavers 'wormed' their way into your heart...

They have a habit of dong that!

Expose your parents to the risk of losing their inhibitions and start having fun.

Identify one or two who are not dashing for the door as the session starts and give them a job...

Start a rota if you need to.

Once they stay and you get hem involved and have a laugh with them, they will be yours!

Recruiting is a lot like dating. you don't get if you don't ask and you'll only get a rematch if the first experience was fun!

Sound obvious?

You'll be surprised how many leaders think that the 'why me' hang dog expression will have the volunteers loading in.

Good luck with the Beavers and the teaching and tell us how you get on.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DonTregartha For This Useful Post:

Jamieson90 (23-02-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    Welcome to Escouts Jamieson.

As you say - the Beavers 'wormed' their way into your heart...

They have a habit of dong that!

Expose your parents to the risk of losing their inhibitions and start having fun.

Identify one or two who are not dashing for the door as the session starts and give them a job...

Start a rota if you need to

Once they stay and you get hem involved and have a laugh with them, they will be yours!

Recruiting is a lot like dating. you don't get if you don't ask and you'll only get a rematch if the first experience was fun!

Sound obvious?

You'll be surprised how many leaders think that the 'why me' hang dog expression will have the volunteers loading in.

Good luck with the Beavers and the teaching and tell us how you get on.
    Those are some good ideas, maybe you can offer even more detailed advice if I outline the situation more?

We've currently 13 beavers after 7 of them moved up to Cubs at the start of half term.

In addition to myself and the GSL who is an acting ABSL, we've a parent who pretty much attends every night with her son who has Special Educational Needs. I'm hoping to approach her about becoming a more permanent member of the group by committing to being a uniformed member, but I'm kind of worried about scaring her off. Similarly, we've another mother who has just started helping out on nights too, but I feel it's too soon to ask her to commit and I'm not sure whether she'd really want to either.

According to the GSL, we did have a parent rota in the past and it didn't work out well. We had a few parents who were more of a hindrance than help and with only 13 beavers the pool to draw on is a lot smaller. It might be worth giving it another try though.

Time is a big factor too as less leaders means we all have to do more which means less opportunity to talk to parents before and after meetings.

It doesn't help that we don't even have a sign telling people the group is there. We tried to get one set up in the past but apparently the church we're based in wasn't too keen. I think we might need to be a bit more forceful/persuasive though since our beavers do go to regular Sunday parades/church gatherings, as do the Cubs and Scouts.

I'm hoping to get a website set up too. I've just taken a look at yours as well as the Weston Scouts one and I'm very impressed by them.
    Last edited by Jamieson90; 23-02-2015 at 11:01 PM.