Page 65 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself...

Thanks
    Hello every one
    My Name is Russell, I was a member of the scouting Family from 1970 Aged 8 all the way through to the Deep Sea Scouts in 1981, Unfortunately I lost touch with scouting in 1982 due to a trip down south with the Royal Navy.

However a few months ago I bumped into some one I used to Scout with, He is now a leader with a local groups and explained the change that have happened since the 80's

I am now helping out with a local troop and just waiting for my DBS to clear, I will then officially rejoin the family, and be able to give back something to an organisation which gave me so much as a child - Adult.

Happy Scouting

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ L For This Useful Post:

Bloory (09-06-2017),Ian Mallett (14-06-2017),ianw (13-06-2017),richardnhunt (09-06-2017),shiftypete (10-06-2017)

Thanks
    Hi, Rus L and welcome to Escouts.

Thanks
    Good Afternoon

My name is Pete and I'm an Assistant Section Leader (Cubs & Beavers) at 1st Nuthall in Nottingham.

I'm a techie geek and love most things technicalogically worth playing with. Thanks for approving my request to join in the conversation.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pmallam For This Useful Post:

big chris (09-01-2019),Bushfella (09-01-2019),claire.shadbolt (09-01-2019),ianw (09-01-2019),johnmcmahon (05-05-2019),pa_broon74 (09-01-2019),shiftypete (10-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    Welcome to Escouts Pete (good name by the way).

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

Hello from North Yorkshire

Hi folks, just a quick note to introduce myself. My name is Al, Bagheera to our Cubs at 1st Malton. I started volunteering when my youngest moved to Cubs as an occasional helper and was invested as ACSL last summer camp. I've always been keen on outdoor activities and I now try to get the Cubs to experience some of the things I've enjoyed over the years.

Many thanks,

Al

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knucker For This Useful Post:

Ian Mallett (07-02-2019),richardnhunt (02-02-2019)

Thanks
    Welcome to Escouts Al

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Hello all, I'm new here (obviously xD). Took me ages to get myself registered, before I figured out the problem that this forum simply isn't compatible with good old-fashioned Internet Explorer. Still, I'm here now.

Firstly, I'll start at the beginning. My name is Gregory, and I was born at an early age to a couple who were and are my parents. :P

I joined the Beaver Colony just up the road when I was 6, just a couple of years after Beavers first began. At age 8, I moved to the other group closest to home - not because I didn't like the Sea Scouts, but for one simple fact...I couldn't swim. (I still can't, despite years of swimming lessons xD). I've been with the 1st Streatham Common Scout Group now for nigh on 30 years, man and boy, and recently was welcomed into the role of the Group's GSL - to which I'm still panicking a little and hoping I don't balls everything up straight off the bat! I also act as an assistant Cub Leader (which I was officially before becoming GSL) to my dad, who is the Akela (ACSL) and we are also both helping to run the Scouts as there is a slight lack of warranted leaders in the Group at present.

During the day, I'm an accountant in a small practice which is about precisely as dull a life as it sounds; I'm also in college studying to further my career, and these days I find Scouting to be an excellent way to relax and unwind after a long day at work - I genuinely enjoy doing it, something I never thought I'd say back in my early 20s.

In my free time (what there is of it anyway), I like to relax and watch movies, and I'm also the most active member of the Scout Group online - we have a Facebook group that was set up by the Group Exec a couple of years ago, and the leaders are all supposed to be regularly uploading photos and videos of what the kids do in section meetings and on days out...but I'm the only one prepared to do lots of recording and uploading to Facebook, so that's basically my thing now to keep the parents informed. We're also slowly getting used to implementing OSM to streamline our record-keeping (instituted by the Group Exec last December). And I often tinker about on my computer at home, designing various certificates to award to the children in all sections - because frankly, I don't think much of the majority of the certificate designs on the Scout Brand Centre. My skills in paint have come along considerably.
    1988 - 1990: 4th Streatham Sea Scouts (PMLO), Beaver
    1990 - 1998: 1st Streatham Common, Cub & Scout
    2004 - 2011: 1st Streatham Common, OH
    2011 - 2012: 1st Streatham Common, CSSA
    2012 - 2019: 1st Streatham Common, ACSL
    2019 on: 1st Streatham Common, GSL

Lambeth - The best District in England!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KoopaCooper For This Useful Post:

big chris (04-05-2019),Bushfella (05-05-2019),crisolin (05-05-2019),shiftypete (05-05-2019)

Thanks
    Welcome to Escouts Gregory. You sound a little like me in the I have been in my Group since I was 6 and have fairly recently taken on being GSL. Luckily we aren't quite so short of Leaders as it sounds like you are.

Is this your Group's website? http://www.firststreathamhill.com If so may I suggest you add a link to it in your signature on Escouts as that will help boost your wesbite on search engines. I would also suggest you add a volunteer page, we get a lot of students and young professionals volunteering to help with our Group through our website.

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    Hi Shiftypete,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, as to numbers at the moment we have

BSL, 2 ABSLs (+ 1 YL), and 5 Beavers. (a large chunk of the Colony all swam up to the Cubs at the same time, we're trying to advertise through all the local schools)
    3 ACSLs (including myself), and 19 Cubs (which is pretty good)
    1 ASL, 2 or 3 OHs, and 15 Scouts (not bad...but needs a warranted SL and maybe another ASL as well. My dad and I are both helping to run the Troop at the moment so they have sufficient leaders)

Really, the only places we're short for now are with Beavers, and with Scout Leaders.

Ahh, not surprised you'd find that site through a Google search - no, that's the 1st Streatham Hill's website, we're the 1st Streatham Common; also we don't have a public website, only a private Facebook Group. Our two Scout Groups have been confused for each other before.

It used to be even more confusing though
    1st Streatham Common (1SC)
    1st Streatham Hill (1SH)
    1st Streatham St Leonard's (1SSL, often mistakenly abbreviated as 1SL)
    1st South Lambeth (1SL)

The fact that a lot of parents - and leaders - often refer to both the 1st Str Common and the 1st Str Hill as just "1st Streatham" has caused quite a few problems down the years. (A bit less so now, as the 1st Streatham closed down some years back due to lack of members). I'll put a link to our page on the National site though.
    Last edited by KoopaCooper; 05-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Any idea how the hell you ended up with so many 1st Streathams in the same District? I thought we were bad with three 10th North Leeds at one point (its down to two now).

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

www.leeds-solar.co.uk

Thanks
    It's not that surprising really, if I think about it - Streatham is a fairly long, thin town in the equally kind-long, thin District of Lambeth. Streatham itself actually just means "the village (hamlet) on the street" (amazingly, there's only one Streatham in the whole of the UK - and about 6 in the world! Though there are of course the similarly-named UK places such as Stratham, Stretham, and Stretton)

But really, it's because historically the town of Streatham was actually about 3 or 4 separate villages: Streatham Hill, to the north near Brixton; Streatham Village (nowadays just the central part of Streatham), and Streatham Common/Streatham Vale (to the south near Norbury). As the separate villages grew and joined to become the town of Streatham, the geographic terms for them have been retained.

Also all three Scout Groups were formed very early on, and all wanted to take 1st to indicate that they were the oldest in the area. (There's still occasional playful debates over which is really older - all three formed in 1908! Although of course 1st Streatham are closed so no longer in consideration).

We're not the only Groups though, and there are others that have either Common or Hill at the end of their name as well (and even more than used to be but have shut down, like the defunct 4th Streatham Common compared to the still-active 4th Streatham, defunct 2nd Streatham vs active 2nd Streatham Hill, and so on...)

Personally, what I find more shocking is that Brixton only got its first Scout Group (the aptly named 1st Brixton) less than 10 years ago. O_O How?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KoopaCooper For This Useful Post:

shiftypete (06-05-2019)

Thanks

6 year break

Hello all

Started in Beavers in 2003 and went through to Explorers up until 2013, obviously the best times of my life. I was also a Young Leader (completed the training) while I was in Explorers.

I've joined a new group after a 6 year break (university and then London life), where I'll be ASL.
    Bethanie Bentley
    Assistant Scout Leader

Instagram:

8thhendonscouts
    http://www.barnetscouts.com
    Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/8thHendonScouts

WE'RE FUNDRAISNG FOR A NEW HUT
    https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/8thhendonscout/

My scouting journey est. 2003

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosina For This Useful Post:

ianw (16-08-2019),KoopaCooper (16-08-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    Hello all

Started in Beavers in 2003 and went through to Explorers up until 2013, obviously the best times of my life. I was also a Young Leader (completed the training) while I was in Explorers.

I've joined a new group after a 6 year break (university and then London life), where I'll be ASL.
    Welcome back. Just the sort of leader many groups need.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    Hello all

Hi there!

It's always very heartening to hear about other people who are leaders, who came up through Scouting as a child too! (I never got the chance to be a YL...YLs, and Explorers as a whole, did not really start until I'd already finished uni)

Just curious - did you actively seek out a local Scout Group to join as an ASL, or did someone say "O, I hear they're looking for a Scout leader at such-and-such...didn't you say you used to be a Scout?" and you found yourself nudged into it? (That's usually the way it happens for us, yeah?)

Thanks
    Hi everyone, I'm Dayna. I'm glad to find this scouting community and I hope to have a great time here with you all.