Page 1 of 65 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself...

Thanks

Introduce Yourself...

How about a topic where we tell about our Scouting connections and what we do and anyway we may be able to assist people on the escouts site. (whether it be on the computer side or Scouting in general.
    For instance I am the Explorer Scout Leader of the YLU based in Petworth and Pulborough District in West Sussex.I have a very limited knowledge of computing (but love playing and getting to know the workings of them. I've recently rebuilt mine at home. I'm useless when it comes to the software side of things) but I have been involved in Scouting since I was 6 and a wolf Cub. I was a Scout Leader for the last 6 year and ASL for the 10 years before that. I've been very involved with implementing PRI in the district (my GSL was the change agent and as we are mates I got dragged into it!!) I hold a M form for terrain 2 and am a National Small-bore Rifle Assoc. qualified junior instructor for .177 rifles.
    Any other spare time is taken with my three dogs and my family.
    For work I'm a Transport manager for a Farm and Fencing supplier based in the South East. Occasionally I even get the chance to go driving one of the trucks.
    How about that for a starter
    Dave :

[Edited/Moved to be sticky topic - Jonathan]
    Last edited by Dave; 14-10-2005 at 09:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Matt Donnelly (05-02-2014)

Thanks
    OK then - I'm Jonathan Bloor.

{This post has been heavily edited!}

I was born at a very early age, before Beavers were invented. I joined the new Seeonnee Cub Scout pack at Ashby de la Zouch (Hastings). Eventually they kicked me out, up to Scouts. Stopped there instead of joining Ventures. One of my biggest regrets so far was not getting my Queen's Scout Award.

I became ASL then SL at Ashby (Hastings). People came and went, and eventually so did I. Ended up at 1st Market Bosworth as the Scout Leader. I'm also supposed to be doing a District Websiteand I'm supposed to be running a Explorer Unit, when it happens!

I've been web designing and hosting for five years now and I am currently one of the Escouts Team. By day I am a Local Government Finance person (a member of the AAT).

Don't have much tiome for anything other than Scouts. Happily attached to a definite non-Scouting woman!!
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Right, I'm Matt Hanson.

I started Scouting as a Cub, continued onto Scouts and then Ventures. I left Ventures at the PRI changeover in our County and then co-founded our County Scout Network.

Currently I'm an ACSL and the Chairman of our County Scout Network. I am also on the Escouts team.

I am studying a National Diploma in Computing at the moment as well as being an E-Commerce Manager and a freelance programmer, web designer and database designer. I have an extensive knowledge of these subjects and would be happy to help anyone with anything specifically relating to one of my trades!

My partner, Lindsey is an ABSL and we have been together for 2 and a bit years now. We met at her 1st camp as a Venture while I was also a Venture and we started seeing each other some years later after a County Venture trip to Jersey.

Most of my free time is given up to Scouting. If i'm not at my section meetings, i'm at my partners meetings, committe meetings or working on Escouts.
    Matt Hanson
    Team
    Pneumatus.co.uk
    Always here to

Thanks
    My name is Ross MacDonald.

I am 14 years old and I am an Explorer Scout - attached to the 1st Houston & Crosslee Scout Group - as the district does not have a Explorer section running yet

I have been in the Scouts since Chipmunks (a section we have before Beavers!), and I am now an Explorer. I am going to Switzerland next year with the District. We will be doing all the usual foreign activities - hill walking, climbing, white water rafting etc etc.

I started the Group's website in 1998 when I was in Scouts. It was a washed out green colour (the old shirt colour), and was very basic. My web knowledge has greatly increased since then, now developing a full PostNuke site for the Group. To be released in 2 weeks (hopefully ).
    I have been the coordinator for all things 'web' in my Group, e-mail, web site etc.

Now that I am an Explorer, I am doing my D.O.E. and doing my service at the Scouts. Done this for about 2 months so far.

Ross

Thanks
    Well, I'm Phil. Grew up in a sunny country where there's more sheep than humans - Wales. Started in Cubs at age 8, moved on through Scouts and Ventures (all at different groups for some reason...) Helped with Beavers for a while too.

Then I disappeared off to a large University in East Anglia where I met the Student Scout and Guide Group, stayed for a year and left. Finished my degree and moved up to Durham. Became a Cub Helper, then ACSL, then started helping with Scouts too. Fortunately, I moved to Southampton before I became GSL.

Have been in Southampton for the last 3 years - Scouting wise, I reopened the Cub Pack at my Group here. Then the Scout Leader left 6 months later, so I started running that too. I hold a Form M for Walls and Towers, another for Terrain 1 (somewhat limited...) and am a qualified GNAS instructor too. I kick started the Student Scout and Guide Group here and somewhere in my spare time, I have done most of the work for a PhD. Currently writing that up, and will end up moving somewhere else no doubt in the next few months.

Computing wise, know far too much to be ignorant, and not enough to be really useful. Currently managing my Scout Group Website etc.
    Phil Cole
    7th Southampton (Bassett) Scout Group
    [email protected]
    www.bassett-scouts.org.uk

A(C)SL/LTM
    Thanks
    Hum.

Stuart Ross, age 19 from 2nd Haddington, East LothianI started in Beavers, then Cubs, then Scouts. Been Seconder, Sixer, APL, PL, SPL. Then went insane, became Young Leader at Cubs and Scouts, also joined ventures. Spent a year as chairman of the Ventures, during which time i created the website (SOBER VSU, currently moving).

Recently as ventures have been destroyed I became involved in Explorers, however being over 18 I couldnt be a member. So im a leader. And I think im the Admin person or something. Now starting website for Explorers....

In my other time, I am currently in 2nd Year at Edinburgh University doing a degree in Artificial Intelligence and Software Engineering. I have been using Comps for ever, and have a reasonable knowledge of PHP (as shown in the various site building tools I have made in the past and am making now).

Have a job in TESCO on the checkouts (ok....tooo much information)
    The views expressed by me are not necessarily those held by 2nd Haddington Scout Group
    http://www.haddingtonscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Crikey you lot were quick off the mark! Looking back at my post I should have done it in word first and then pasted it after, spelling mistakes or what!
    It looks like we have what could be the start of something quite good here. I know that there is the Scout newsgroup and Scoutlink (IRC) to contact other Scouts/Scouters but nothing really on the computing side of things.
    And Phil after camping at Pen y Cae in the Breacons for many years where do you find the SUNNY bit of Wales?! The only time I've had to use the emergency contact on a hike was over the Horseshoe in what was the mother of all thunderstorms.
    Stuart, nothing wrong with with Tescos ask Mr Cohen!
    Dave
    all in all it is just another brick in the wall

Thanks

From France...

Okay, I'm Dominic Macdonald (we Macs WILL take over the world, hey, Ross :P )
    I founded - and am currently running - the Troop Première Nantes in France. That has been going for about two years, and we now have about 20 boys. Anybody in Nantes who is looking to be an Assistant, by the way, is welcome ! </shameless plug>
    Before that, I founded a Sea Scout group in Quebec, Canada. And before that - feels like a long time ago ! - I was a Sea Scout in Lille, France for quite a few years.
    I am also in charge of the Troop website www.premierenantes.fr.st , which is where I learnt HTML, how to use an FTP client, and so on...
    While I'm not trying to persuade my PC not to crash, I am a school supervisor.
    Oh yes, I nearly forgot - I'm also studying for a BA in English Litt. !!

Dominic Macdonald
    Dominic Macdonald

Steve Hulka
    I'm Steve Hulka, aged 28 except at camp (8) and the day after camp (108!)

I was initially a venture scout at the 296th Sheffield, and started helping at the Troop for award work. That was 12 years ago, and I'm still there, now as ASL.

We have 37 boys in the Troop (yeah, we're still all male) and since the District spotted that I'd done a website for the Group, I got manhandled into helping, and now taking over, the District site. I've since added a separate site for the Explorer section.

Away from Scouts, I also enjoy the fabulous sport of ice hockey, and also have a site dedicated to my team, the Sheffield Steelers.

Somewhere in between all that, I work for a pensions administration company. But I try not to let it interfere with Scouting too much 8)

Steve

Thanks
    Ok here goes, I'm Richard Fairbairn, aged 29, from Midlothian, 8 miles South of Edinburgh.

I am currently AAC(Cubs) Midlothian and at the moment running 2 packs, I am also partly responsible for the Midlothian Area Web Site, see sig for address. I originally thought of Escouts 2 years ago, and am ending my team membership at the end of the year, because I feel I'm doing too much Scouting

I started Scouting in 1981 as a Cub in the 14th Midlothian Bonnyrigg Tuesday Cub Pack, and apart from 5 years I have been involved with the pack as a Cub, Helper, ACSL & CSL, 13 years in 1 Cub Pack! I have also been a Scout, Venture, SL oh and AGSL.

Away from Scouting, I am treasurer of the local Gala Day committee, Vice Chair/treasurer of Midlothian Voluntary Action and Convener of Midlothian Online.

During the day I am a, wait for it 8) 'Clinical Information Systems Administrator' 8) in the National Health Service. Pay maybe crap but you can decide your own title

I think I'll phone up my union and ask when we are getting 40%

Thanks
    What's a Union? What's a pay rise! Not seen one in five years. Union or Pay Rise

A(C)SL/LTM
    Thanks
    The union is where we go at nights and get drunk....

Or do you mean something else?
    The views expressed by me are not necessarily those held by 2nd Haddington Scout Group
    http://www.haddingtonscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elexplorer
    The union is where we go at nights and get drunk....

Or do you mean something else?
    Oh to be young again!! :gotcha :bomb

Thanks
    hmm, looks as if I missed this thread at its peak, but what the hell i'll post my piece anyway.

My name is Matt Wareham and basically I run the website for the 20th Torbay Scout Group (for those who don't know that's in Torquay, Devon - you possibly went there on holiday once and dont want to go back). As I am in Ventures it is mainly a Venture Scout based site at the moment, but this will change when I have time to work on a new PHP/MySQL powered group site (as with everything this was almost complete last May, wasn't touched for months and now ive lost most of the vital code).

I have been involved in Scouting since I was a Cub at the 14th Torbay Sea Scouts, and after finishing there moved to the 20th Torbay, mainly due to it being attached to the school I was going to. That was in 1995 (i think) and i've been there ever since.

The group consists of only Scouts and Ventures (yes we're still hanging on till the bitter end of it), as we are attached to Torquay Boys' Grammar School and all members must be either at the school or in year 6 about to join in the next year. Despite this we have quite a large number of members with around 20+ ventures during uni holidays and around 50ish scouts. Given we only have around 1000 people eligible to join and a few ventures who have left after 6th Form, this is about the best we could hope for.

At the moment, as well as the website, I am actively involved with everything that goes on in the Venture Unit and the group, from sorting out the programme to fundraising things. On top of this I have recently started to help run the Scout Section on a Troop Night and should be getting involved in Network stuff soon (we haven't launched a Network section yet, and will possibly continue to run Ventures until the end of the summer when everyone goes to Uni).

Currently im trying to study A Levels (exams start tommorow ) and hoping to start Uni next year, whilst also working at KFC...

Hi there my name is Andrew Wilkes and I have been in scouting since a Beaver then a Cub, Scout, Venture, ASL, VSL and now DESC (not all at once). I am 28 years young hold my Queens Scout and Bronze, Silver & Gold D of E awards.

All on my scouting untill know has been do at the same group 102nd Leicester.

Currently hold a Form M (untill the end of the year) for England and Wales in summer & mild winter conditions.

I have played at website building for a couple of years now.

Away from scouting I work in printing within the pre-press deptment (the bit before ink goes onto paper).

Thats all I can think of for now.

--------------------
    Andy Wilkes
    www.explorer-scout.org.uk