Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Lamps

Thanks

Gas Lamps

I would like to get some new Gas Lamps for my scouts.

Ones that fit on 904 and 907 Gas Bottles and one got a link to where they sell them.

Also I remember seeing some groups that had poles that came up from the bottle into the lamp.

Thanks
    David 'BEAVER' Docherty

SL 3rd Upton, DDC Slough

www.3rdupton.org.uk

Thanks
    We have a couple of these:
    http://www.skcamping.com/index.php/c...r-lantern.html
    I'm sure they were half the price when we got them a few years ago though!

Would advise against the poles, they make the whole thing very unstable and it has a habit of getting knocked or blown over and setting fire to things!

Thanks
    Amazon had them on sale a couple of years ago - I think Campingaz must have changed them slightly as they were out of production for a while, but now look to be back on sale again. I bought one of the 25 ones, but one of the mantle holders fell off. When I tried to get it replaced, they could only exchange it for the Stellia CV. The CV gives out a great light, but not as much warmth. The R was great for taking the chill off the tent in the evening! Also, the CV is designed to be stored attached to the cannister, but the on/off switch is easily moved and you get gas escaping. The R is removed from the bottle and stored seperately, which made it much safer to store.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richp92 View Post
    We have a couple of these:
    http://www.skcamping.com/index.php/c...r-lantern.html
    I'm sure they were half the price when we got them a few years ago though!

Would advise against the poles, they make the whole thing very unstable and it has a habit of getting knocked or blown over and setting fire to things!
    I have seen them used with poles... but with a metal base that the canister sits into (essentially a metal cylinder about 6 inches high and the diameter of the cylinder, welded onto a horizantal framework which sits on the floor to add stability). Probably safer than the old fashioned lamps we have in our store which connect to the gas cylinder by a long gas hose (probably about 5m) which runs up the tent wall then along the ceiling to the ridge where the lamp hangs

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    We've got a couple of the Stellia Rs and they are great.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

ESL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kendall View Post
    We've got a couple of the Stellia Rs and they are great.
    I'll second that. The only minor problem we had at first was that the mantles are held on the tube with a rather weak wire clip and it didn't take a lot to dislodge the mantle. We solved it by giving the ends of the clip a twist with pliers to tighten it up when fitting new mantles and have had no trouble since.

Thanks
    We've also got a couple of Stellia Rs which are really good. We have a couple of poles that go between the bottle and lantern which are good, but never seen then for sale anywhere. Though they can make the lantern a bit top heavy.
    Paul

Scout Leader and Webmaster at 90th Bristol Scouts
    Member and Webmaster at Namaste Nepal SAS

Thanks
    Thanks Everyone!

Stellia R's it is
    David 'BEAVER' Docherty

SL 3rd Upton, DDC Slough

www.3rdupton.org.uk

Thanks
    Just reminded me that one of our Stellia Rs would not light last time I came to use it. Must check mantle soon...
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    I have seen them used with poles... but with a metal base that the canister sits into (essentially a metal cylinder about 6 inches high and the diameter of the cylinder, welded onto a horizantal framework which sits on the floor to add stability). Probably safer than the old fashioned lamps we have in our store which connect to the gas cylinder by a long gas hose (probably about 5m) which runs up the tent wall then along the ceiling to the ridge where the lamp hangs
    If those are what they sound like, bullfinch handilights they are about the best gaslight you can get
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    I'll second the comment on the Bullfinch gas lamps. They are very bright, very well made and light up a mess tent wonderfully. You just cannot go wrong with them
    Akela 2nd Quorn Scouts
    ADC Cubs Charnwood District

Thanks
    Another vote for the bullfinch 1616 handlights, especially if your running them with the correct mantles ( not camping gaz ones bodged to fit badly ) and regulators - 1 bar.
    Ive seen them run from some incredibly long lengths of hoses, ours run on the shortest length we can get away with and the hose draped round a centre pole in a mess tent or an upright pole in a marquee with a small ( 4.5) kilo bottle to run them off at the bottom of the pole inside the mess tent/marquee.
    handy hint- when finished with them the next morning before packing up, spray the mantle with a little hair spray to help prevent breakage/damage of the mantle during transit.

Thanks
    I've had mixed results with our handilight - the mantle doesn't always fully light up, just an area near the top where there's obviously more gas being pumped through it - does anyone know how to fix that problem?

Thanks,
    Ed

Thanks
    What is the pressure rating on the regulator? if its not the 1bar fixed type regulator, and your running it on a standard regulator ( same type as used on most gas stoves) then you wont be getting enough gas in.

Thanks
    It is a 1 bar one, and the light worked absolutely perfectly the first time I used it (mighty impressed), but never since.

Is there a special way to put the mantle on and burn it in? Mine generally ends up glowing orange/yellow, with a little area bright white.