Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: A positive thread - I hope.

Thanks
    Last week we went on a backpacking trip that was very challenging and followed that by a couple of fun days at a mountain tourist town. One of the scouts was never allowed, by his mom, to go on any trips that involved water. So we didn't tell her about the water on this trip. This boy has always been a bit afraid of anything that could be even remotely considered dangerous. We had two treks, one easier and one harder. The scout I'm talking about wanted to go on the easy one but we said no way. So, we hiked 27 miles in four days and did over a mile in elevation gain all between 9000 and 12000 feet. This scout had fun challenging himself like I had never seen before. He was all smiles when we got to the top of every pass or mountain. The best part was when we went rafting. Rafting with a large number of scouts and adults is all about hanging on for life when in the rapids and having a big water fight the rest of the time. At one point this scout and I were in a 2 man inflatable canoe and I asked him what his mom would say if she knew he was rafting on rapids and he said she'd flip out. Then I asked him what she's say if she saw him get dumped and he said she'd really freak out. Then I asked him what he wanted to do and he said we should go attack someone. I asked who and he said the big raft. I told him they would dump us and he said that was okay, it would be fun. It's always great seeing a scout grow up.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures with my browser I'll add a few.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattR For This Useful Post:

ianw (31-07-2017),roadyjay (01-08-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps View Post
    Ended up doing the first load of shopping. We've got Scout Summer Camp a few days after we get back from Cub Camp so really not the end of the world if we overstock.

We often buy in bulk if its cheaper for long dated stuff. E.g. the big catering tins are beans are cheaper to buy in packs of 6. They then just go in stores until needed.

I do like a game of "food shopping Tetris"

That image is so aesthetically pleasing.
    Assistant Cub Scout Leader (1st South Leeds & Morley) | Training Adviser (Central Yorkshire)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,304 Posts
    Still on camp enjoying a few minutes downtime while cubs swim.

Its been an amazing week. Very small leader team but 4 incredible young leaders. Just like having 4 extra adults. They were all at cubs and then scouts together so weve known them for years and theyre close friends with each other.

Theyve worked so hard all week whilst also having fun, and weve had loads of laughs along the way. Best bit yet they said last night that they all want to stay in scouting as adult leaders in the future.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

johnL (04-08-2017),Rikki01 (04-08-2017),scoutgamer (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 903 Posts
    One of my explorers went to Scout Shoot at Bisley on Sunday and came back with a Gold and a Silver medal and "a tea tray" and has been invited to selection for the National scout shooting squad. None of my doing, it's all on the Friday night shooting club we have in the district, but it's still made me feel positive so...
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - World Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2016 - May 2017
    http://www.jambowlree.org

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianw For This Useful Post:

recneps (12-09-2017),richardnhunt (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    3 under 18 teams taking part in a 21.6 mile rowing race on saturday with over 320 other competitors, accompanied by an adult team of young "old boys" and all supported by a boating team who viurtually exclusively learned their skills through scouting.

The video....no idea how to embed ....https://youtu.be/A5hF_JTyz3I

Definitely proud

Rich

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardnhunt For This Useful Post:

ianw (13-09-2017),recneps (12-09-2017),shiftypete (12-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,304 Posts
    We took 10 Scouts down to the New Forest for the weekend to complete their Expedition Challenge. Both patrols did extremely well with virtually no leader input (we met them at a few checkpoints, camped at the same site, and gave them a little bit of encouragement.

Patrol Alpha (yes boring patrol names!) completed Day 1 in 90 minutes less than expected, and day 2 pretty much spot on time. They enjoyed having some free time in Lyndhurst at the end of Day 1 to relax and eat ice cream, then got their tents up and cooked dinner mostly in the dry and light. As Jodi and I stood on the banks of Janesmoor Pond, enjoying the afternoon sunshine, and heard them approaching in the distance, still in high spirits, we couldn't help but feel extremely proud of them.

Patrol Bravo overran by about 3 hours on Day 1, but sped up on Day 2 and finished 1 minute ahead of Patrol Alpha. They coped pretty well with having to pitch tents and cook on trangias in the dark and drizzle. A few tears from a couple of the younger ones were fairly quickly dealt with. Again, some serious feelings of pride for our Scouts at the moment!

The only negative was the lack of waterproofing on a lot of their coats and boots... something we really need to raise with the parents next time we do something like this is the need to ensure their kit is up to the job.

For us as leaders it was the most relaxing camp we've done in a while - it really was just like a holiday, with plenty of time each day to visit tea-rooms, fudge shops, ice cream parlours, watch the New Forest's animals, and enjoy a pub lunch each day. Jodi and I had a very nice rented Ford Galaxy for the weekend whilst the other two leaders had the minibus. I suspect its the first time in a very long time that i've got back from camp feeling completely relaxed. For once being back in the office this morning isn't gonig to be a rest! I'm sure the Scouts will be exhausted this morning, but equally they can go into school and boast of an achievement that most of their classmates wont experience until DofE Bronze.
    Last edited by recneps; 18-09-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    Dan Spencer

Group Scout Leader 66th Bath
    Deputy District Commissioner (Programme) - City of Bath District
    Nights Away Adviser and member of District Executive Committee - City of Bath District
    Member of Avon County Appointments Advisory Committee
    Event organiser "Be Prepared" Resilience Events
    Formerly CSL, SL, ASL and Jamboree Communications Lead

Web designer

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

richardnhunt (19-09-2017),shiftypete (18-09-2017)

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415