Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: A positive thread - I hope.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Howking this back to the positive.

Bumped into a couple of my older scouts yesterday. I was at our hall where I've been renovating our bogs. We talked a bit about Explorers not starting and how we might work round that. They commented very positively about my stud work, my noggins in particular, (a lot of them are squint to be honest) and as they left, one turned round and told me they thought I was a really good scout leader who was very dedicated.

Which was nice - and broke my heart slightly because he might be gone in six months time, four years before he needs to be.

Quite a lot more to say, but this is supposed to be a positive thread. I'll save my bile for the other one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pa_broon74 For This Useful Post:

campwarden (13-07-2020)

Thanks
    It's interesting because we've had an invitation to an event happening very shortly. I'll keep this vague because I'm not sure of my ground, and I certainly don't want to put anyone on the spot.

The nature of the invitation, which will have gone out quite widely, makes me assume that it has already been signed off by a County commissioner (but not in my County). It's too prominent to be under the radar. Whilst we'll obviously ask about risk assessments, not least because of what I said about leader-in-charge and the nonsense of a risk assessment written by me when someone else is running an activity (especially if they conflict or don't take account of what each other is saying), we'll still have to complete ours in pretty short order. It would necessarily be for a specific event and not addressing whether we re-start any kind of regular activity.

So at very least someone else has been much quicker off the ground than we are being.
    SL, 11th Hitchin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    My understanding is that is what Gilwell have mandated. Each Group needs a "restarting" RA signed off by District.

One of the requirements is that all the Leaders all need to have current Safety and Safeguarding up to date on Compass or its an automatic fail i.e. can't reopen. This means that none of my District's Groups can reopen as they all have someone who is not up to date.
    My understanding as well. Each section does their RA, signed off by GSL & Exec. Building i think also has to have one.
    Then as you said all mandatory training up to date which is why over the last couple of months we've been validating (online) a couple of nights a week trying to get our County up to par. Its going to be easier with the new online modules that due to the end of module test are self validating but still an ask.

TBH though if a Leader can't do the basic mandatory modules after several months or even years in some cases would you want them running events with your kids?
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dralphs View Post
    My understanding as well. Each section does their RA, signed off by GSL & Exec. Building i think also has to have one.
    Then as you said all mandatory training up to date which is why over the last couple of months we've been validating (online) a couple of nights a week trying to get our County up to par. Its going to be easier with the new online modules that due to the end of module test are self validating but still an ask.

TBH though if a Leader can't do the basic mandatory modules after several months or even years in some cases would you want them running events with your kids?
    Is it all leaders and SA's in a section that need to be up to date I wonder- because for us it is often the SA who are late completing getting started. It will help if they are validated by end of module tests though, as half the battle is finding something suitable for them to do and having someone available to assess. Lockdown intervening didn't help either. If its not everyone I may just need to demote a couple of SA to OH and everyone else is OK and up to date.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Our County have insisted that each SECTION of each Group submit a written RA for moving from Red to Amber. This needs to be written by the Leader, approved by the GSL and Group Exec then passed to DC and approved by them and District Exec before being passed to CC. IF approved by all this will enable the Section to PLAN an event.

No approved RA, no activity.

When we go from Amber to Yellow we will have to repeat the process and again for Yellow to Green.

No hikes for us just yet!
    It is totally bonkers this is a section exercise not a group one. Surely one group doesn't have 3 (or in our case 6) ways of operating? I've ended up doing it once and changing just enough words to make it look like I've done it several times over.

The only genuine difference I really found was for the Scout Section with Youth Led activities and how we may need to train and brief Scouts, especially PL's to enforce social distancing and plan for it in their activities.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    My understanding is that is what Gilwell have mandated. Each Group needs a "restarting" RA signed off by District.

One of the requirements is that all the Leaders all need to have current Safety and Safeguarding up to date on Compass or its an automatic fail i.e. can't reopen. This means that none of my District's Groups can reopen as they all have someone who is not up to date.
    GOOD! It's about time their was tangible consequence for people who don't bother to keen their mandatory (and very basic) training up to date.
    Last edited by dsheehan; 13-07-2020 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake that changed context
    --
    Dan Sheehan
    Group Scout Leader
    9th Muswell Hill Scout Group

District Training Adviser
    District Executive Member
    District Appointment Advisory Comittee
    North London District Scouts

web: www.9thmuswellhill.org.uk
    twitter: @9thMuswellHill
    facebook: /9thmuswellhill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    It is totally bonkers this is a section exercise not a group one. Surely one group doesn't have 3 (or in our case 6) ways of operating? I've ended up doing it once and changing just enough words to make it look like I've done it several times over.

The only genuine difference I really found was for the Scout Section with Youth Led activities and how we may need to train and brief Scouts, especially PL's to enforce social distancing and plan for it in their activities.

- - - Updated - - -

GOD! It's about time their was tangible consequence for people who don't bother to keen their mandatory (and very basic) training up to date.
    Been on the training webinar tonight, have a look at changes coming in POR and training. There will be sanctions coming in for ppeople who don't renew or complete training starting with restricting what a leader can do right up to cancelling the role. GSL's should be monitoring their leaders training but compass will start to send out more reminders in seems.

It seems a long overdue crackdown is coming.
    Dave Ralphs
    Yarnton Scout Group (Treasurer)
    DofE Advisor & District Exec Member - Oxford Spires District
    http://yarntonscouts.org.uk/

I work for O2, any posts are my own personal views & do not represent O2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsheehan View Post
    I'd disagree, I think how we would implement outdoor meetings for Beavers will have some significant differences to how we will do so for Scouts (different drop off and pick up arrangments for one thing). Of course they will have many similarities but they certainly wouldn't be the same document for each Section.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL
    2002 - 2018 AESL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiftypete For This Useful Post:

Richard T (13-07-2020),richardnhunt (13-07-2020)

Thanks
    Sections within a group will in some cases operate very differently to each other, and if you have two of the same section , but with different leaders you will get another difference, especially if Tuesday night cubs runs a different programme to Thursday night cubs.

As for training, i can understand leaders not doing it when its not accessible to them ie if you normally work weekends, and have only a few fixed dates/weekends each year free ( module X takes place each year in early December and your job prevents you from taking time off in December upto Christmas) - so much for flexible training
    Although the online stuff should be easy for anyone to do
    Last edited by Richard T; 13-07-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcmahon View Post
    Our County have insisted that each SECTION of each Group submit a written RA for moving from Red to Amber. This needs to be written by the Leader, approved by the GSL and Group Exec then passed to DC and approved by them and District Exec before being passed to CC. IF approved by all this will enable the Section to PLAN an event.

No approved RA, no activity.

When we go from Amber to Yellow we will have to repeat the process and again for Yellow to Green.

No hikes for us just yet!
    Event planned, risk assessment written, Exec approved and DC approved within 5 hours. its a walk in a park in small groups. Risk assessing is right - but it doesn't need to be a blocker.

nele
    Thanks
    how nice to see a sensible approach and not a time wasting exercise I couldn't possibly write and translate all the documentation I was asked to provide in 5 hours, let alone get it seen and approved. We also wanted to walk in the park in teams.. and hand out badges.