Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contraversial Idea - Could It Work?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts

Contraversial Idea - Could It Work?

We often talk about "Hand them an AA form" being the solution to problems.... but a conversation last night has made me think of a controversial idea. Could it work? Is it acceptable?

We all require our members to pay Subs to be part of the group. But could we require parents to also give a minimum number of hours volunteering for their sons/daughters to be part of the group?

What do people think? Could this solve the volunteering crisis. I'm not talking about all parents becoming leaders - just turning up to a working party day at the hall once or twice a year would be enough.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Isn't that what a parent rota is for?
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thinking of 'volunteers' and 'pressed (wo)men'....Your best leaders will always come as volunteers.Some will have other motives, but I don't think you can conscript them.The parent rota is a way of making sure they do their bit, but leaders need to want to do it.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonTregartha For This Useful Post:

fmolesey (28-03-2014),Matt Donnelly (28-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Was thinking more in terms of doing work on the hall, etc than the front-line roles.

In reality our aim, to quote, "is to make not helping out at the group the exception among our parents rather than the norm".

This was just taking the principal one hypothetical step further

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    In Beavers, Mrs. Nick has noticed a corrilation between "Parent's Night On The Rota" and "child ill" so child and parent don't attend. So whilst your idea is attrative, unfortunately I think it will fail. However I don't think that should stop people trying it, you will find a few people that think of their civic duty rather than the usual ME, ME, ME. An attidude we appear to have in abundance. - End of Rant!

We too struggle to find parents that help out.

Nick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Nah, it doesn't work. You end up with the same old faces doing the work. You can try and bring new blood in, but it can be very difficult to get people to do anything much at all.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Won't work for many reasons.

One that immediately comes to mind is the parent signs up to do anything to get a place then fails to do anything.

You cannot throw a child out just because the parent fails to keep a promise.

Thanks
    Sorry Dan,

No it wont work.

Ask each parent how they wish to help the Group.

Cant force anyone.

Thanks
    Asking parents 'how' they wish to help out (rather than 'if') might be a good idea provided the parent still feels like they are the ones in control of their volunteering.

Once you start trying to force people, you soon end up with some very hacked off and defensive parents.

I would be interested to hear how things go for groups who ask at least one parent to fill out an OH form in order for their YP to join. Do you get many back, and do you try to 'remind' people about them if not?
    All posts represent my own opinions only. In no way do they speak for anyone else, including (but not limited to) my group, district, county or HQ.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lakes_stu View Post

I would be interested to hear how things go for groups who ask at least one parent to fill out an OH form in order for their YP to join. Do you get many back, and do you try to 'remind' people about them if not?
    I used to do it and I justified it because you never know. We did have a probable perv come and help one week, when i gave him a form we never heard from him again. I asked a few questions locally about this chap and offerd his name, but no-one knew of him. He simply was not who he said he was. So we ran a policy of one OH per family and only those with an OH could help. I thought it would help us recruit. But it didn't, and most who filled out an OH form didn't even help on the rota.

I know watch and if there is someone who looks like they might be interested I habe them an AA form.

It is also not acceptable to hand out DBS forms like confetti anyway... Cue Merryweather...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    For a start there are quite a few parents you wouldn't want helping.... Or have not ability with Children, and above all - dont' want to support. Scouting is best when it has voluntary support from enthusiastic leaders and supporters, not press ganged adults (and if it were really compulsory who can doubt that many young members would simply be withdrawn).

There are no other activities I can think of which my children have taken part in (from music, cricket, drama, football, dance, choir, swimming clubs), which *require* parents to support - they all want help, but tbh none request the level of support that we do in Scouts for fund raising and maintenance. Couple that with the fact that Scouting, in many parents eyes, is vague in its ideals and even vaguer in its achievements for children and I'm afraid I think it's a non-starter.

Thanks
    I think you've got to sell the activities and joining in to the parents, even the term "Parent Rota" makes me shudder, it sounds like something for doing the dishes or some other tedious chore. Idealistic, perhaps, and there's always a hard core who won't put their hand up . I started as an OH and after being involved in a couple of brilliant district events I was hooked but interestingly another guy who was on the same event said never again!

Also once a parent makes any kind of offer of help you've got to find some way of taking them up on it even if you're not quite ready otherwise they can get huffy and don't volunteer again.

We've just started to build up a database of volunteers, the principle is that they tell you what they are prepared to give rather than we tell them what we want. If we do our scouting correctly they'll enjoy it as much as the kids and want to do more. As I said it might possibly be cloud cuckoo, idealistic guff but it's the approach I'm currently going for.

Jim

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Hi Jim,
    That's a good approach.
    We are planning a BBQ and camp fire where we have invited parents and siblings.
    This is to promote our Group. We are hoping to get some interest from potential helper parents.

But we cant think of the best approach ? a Flyer hand out at the end of the evening ? asking what can you offer ?
    Group Scout Leader at 1st Great and Little Plumstead - Eastern Norwich

nele
    Thanks
    For what its worth the junior sections of Boy Scouts of America expect every family to help (if I've understood it right) I understand the sixes meet in different homes with a den mother and have a full section meeting every few weeks.

Not a model we'd pursue, however I have found that US families are expecting to be asked to help, when junior starts. I don't think we'll ever get 100% of parents helping, but it is worth stressing that scouting depends on volunteers and that everyone is expected to do their part.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nele View Post
    For what its worth the junior sections of Boy Scouts of America expect every family to help (if I've understood it right) I understand the sixes meet in different homes with a den mother and have a full section meeting every few weeks.

Not a model we'd pursue, however I have found that US families are expecting to be asked to help, when junior starts. I don't think we'll ever get 100% of parents helping, but it is worth stressing that scouting depends on volunteers and that everyone is expected to do their part.
    Here http://www.bsaseabase.org/Home/CubSc...gram/role.aspx is what the BSA expect from their Cub Scout & Tiger Cub parents. I don't think it would work in the UK, but explains Nele's perceptions above.

Each "den" consists of boys of the same school grade (year) and it is only when they meet monthly as a pack or on weekend activities, that the different aged dens come togther. A BSA pack covers 7-11 year olds.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire