Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag Packing

Thanks

Bag Packing

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi we are looking to do a bit of bag packing to raise some funds for our next camp who or where do we go to looking at one of the big supermarkets has anyone had any issues with any
    Cheers
    CSL 2nd Killin Cubs

Thanks
    Weve done it with sainsburys and got around£600, Id suggest going to one of the smaller branches than a superstore as it will be easier to manage than have to them running around 30 or so checkouts. Most branches have a community manager, that can be contact through the services desk. We had no issues with it and it ran really smoothly , we ran the cubs in 2 hourly shifts so we always had 6-8 on duty

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Yes...

Beavers and Cubs get more money than Scouts, but they can get bored very quickly.

Manage the Scouts and keep at least one adult available to supervise at all times.

Some store managers simply don't like bag packing. So be choosy and be careful.

They will give you a risk assessment/and code of conduct.

You pay for the poor behaviour of other bag packers.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    We raised about £800 at Morissons at Christmas but I've heard that they are stopping bag packing nationally due to customer complaints, don't know how true that is though. It helped having a Beaver leader who worked there. Also over Christmas we made about £700 just standing with a bucket at Morrisons and B&Q, cute Beavers always seem to do the trick. Remember to tell people exactly what you're raising money for, lots will ask and saying it's to pay the electricity and insurance doesn't do it for many so find something fun.

Morrisons had very clear procedures and codes pf conduct, B&Q however were really chilled out and even kept fetching us cups of coffee!

Jim

Thanks
    We are at Tesco tomorrow and I'm hopeful of a successful day as I reckon I'll be able to cover all the tills they will give us (about half of them) for around eight hours.

We've done Marks & Spencer which is good for revenue and easier to cover as they usually have less tills but you have to split it 50/50 with their nominated charity

Thanks
    Not sure if M&S haven't now cancelled bag packing - that was certainly the case at the 2nd biggest in the country near us.
    In between roles/helping out where I can......

Thanks
    Find a small store.

They are generally a bit more friendly and you wouldn't want to not have enough people to cover all the checkouts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fmolesey View Post
    Find a small store.

They are generally a bit more friendly and you wouldn't want to not have enough people to cover all the checkouts.
    Why would it matter if you covered all the checkouts or not? Our Group & Unit have bag packed our local Morrisons and they have 20 checkouts so there is no way we could cover them all for the whole 4 hours we were bag packing for but that is ok as it gives their customers a choice of whether to use a checkout with a bagpacker on it or not. The fact the tills with the bag packers were running much faster than those without might help influence their choice

Having said that I agree for a first time bag packing it would be easier to do a small store with less tills as you will need less people and have less management of you packers to do.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    There is no truth to Morrisons stopping bag packing nationally. Individual store managers may have blocked it though (as Ewan says you pay for the poor behaviour of others).
    If you want to do it in morrisons contact the store and ask to speak to the community champion. They will sort you out.
    Stephen Lawrence

Cub Scout Leader
    Training Advisor
    14th Aberdeen Scout Group
    14th Aberdeen Facebook Page

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    We raised about £800 at Morissons at Christmas but I've heard that they are stopping bag packing nationally due to customer complaints, don't know how true that is though. It helped having a Beaver leader who worked there. Also over Christmas we made about £700 just standing with a bucket at Morrisons and B&Q, cute Beavers always seem to do the trick. Remember to tell people exactly what you're raising money for, lots will ask and saying it's to pay the electricity and insurance doesn't do it for many so find something fun.

Morrisons had very clear procedures and codes pf conduct, B&Q however were really chilled out and even kept fetching us cups of coffee!

Jim
    Ive never been a fan of "standing with a bucket". I never give money to someone who is just holding a bucket - its an incredibly lazy way to fundraise. I believe we should be teaching young people that you have to work to get money - so bag packing, car washing, running a coffee morning, etc. Also it looks better for the group and makes better publicity if we are doing something rather than standing there shaking a bucket.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to recneps For This Useful Post:

DonTregartha (29-03-2014),Whoopsaubergine (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Our Explorers did a lot of bag packing a few years ago for a project.

We used a small store and were in every month - we got to know the staff and customers really well.

What worked:
    We brought a pop up stand to show what we were doing
    We had a leader who chattered to customers and give out details of Scouting in the area
    The Explorers stood well back if a customer didn't want their bags packed
    We split the monies made with one of the stores charities (ok we ended up with less but got more slots and a thank you from the charity we helped)
    We split the sessions morning and afternoon
    We wrote a short letter with photos afterwards to the store (and the customers) to thank them for our help - this was put on the community notice board

Barney

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney255 View Post
    Our Explorers did a lot of bag packing a few years ago for a project.We used a small store and were in every month - we got to know the staff and customers really well.What worked:We brought a pop up stand to show what we were doingWe had a leader who chattered to customers and give out details of Scouting in the areaThe Explorers stood well back if a customer didn't want their bags packedWe split the monies made with one of the stores charities (ok we ended up with less but got more slots and a thank you from the charity we helped)We split the sessions morning and afternoonWe wrote a short letter with photos afterwards to the store (and the customers) to thank them for our help - this was put on the community notice boardBarney
    That sounds like the ideal way to use it.Engage with enthusiasm and use it to spread the message -and of course saying thank you.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Pet Hates about seeing Scouts bag packing...

1/ untidy neckers and shirts.
    2/ sullen faces
    3/ congregating in groups when not packing
    4/ overlooking peoples' bags when they are not packing
    5/ not saying thank you.
    6/ Leaders chatting to each other ignoring issues and ignoring customers.

I have seen Scouts from other Groups do some or all of the above. I will not put money in their buckets.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    To add to that list:

- Kids who won't take no for an answer (and leaders who don't prevent this)
    - Kids with no idea how to pack a bag... tins of baked beans in on top of the eggs, etc
    - Scouts/Explorers chatting to each other ignoring the customers who they are helping. Perhaps its because i'm a Scouter myself that I always ask the young people what they're raising money for, etc. It really annoys me when they don't know, or dont even answer!

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kendall View Post
    Not sure if M&S haven't now cancelled bag packing - that was certainly the case at the 2nd biggest in the country near us.
    Our district jamboree contingent found out that M&S now only allow bag packing by the charities they partner with officially. Unfortunately TSA isnt one of them.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire